• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

93 Octane and Tune question

Started by Scott13SHO, September 17, 2013, 10:40:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott13SHO

I'm taking a road trip to CT next week from MD. I'm currently running the LMS 93 octane tune on my car and I'm slightly worried about trying to find 93 Octane on my trip. It seems like alot of the stations in the area are only carrying 92 octane gas instead of 93 octane like they did a few years back. I know certain stations carry the "good stuff" but I also don't want to be driving an extra 20 miles out of my way to locate them.

I know I can reflash the car to the LMS 91 tune, but isn't that also going to wipe out my shift points again? I'd rather keep my reflashing to a minimum, but if I have to do it, I have to do I guess.
Ruby Red 2013 Ford Taurus SHO with Performance Package,Airaid CAI, MGP Red Caliper covers, LMS 93 Tune, Custom A-pillar Gauge pod with Aeroforce Interceptor Gauges, LED Interior and Exterior lights

mjhpadi

I would probably not change tunes, but if I couldn't find 93 and had to fill with 91 or 92 then I would just drive a bit more gentle until I had a chance to get some 93 and run it a bit before really driving aggressively.  Heck, I won't even chance tunes when it goes to the dealer, unless they need to reflash the computer....
2010 Candy Red SHO, Livernois Stage 4 Tune, Airaid CAI, Tinted Headlamps & Tails, LED Interior Lighting, LED Running Lights, LED Puddle and License Plate Lamps, LED DRL's, Window Tint, Rear Window Spoiler, V3 Triton Switchback Running Lights, Colgan Bra, Ford Racing Gauges (oil pressure, oil temperature, boost/vacuum)
Replaced by 2020 Hertiage Edition GT-350

arttyszka

I've read that Torco Accelerator actually does work.  I ordered a few bottles of it to have on hand in the event I'm somewhere that I can't find 93 (93 is very rare in MN).  I don't have any experience with the Torco yet, but am going to see if it works, it's definitely not my preferred approach, but could be a good safety net.
2014 Explorer Sport
Lund Tuned | 170 t-stat | K&N Panel | H&R Springs | Coolbulbs.com HID's

74d34h

I took mine down to VA Beach in June from NY and had no issues finding 93 Octane all through the trip. Your gas is alot cheaper down there fill up a few times before hitting NY/CT lol!!! Your worrying too much, no issues have a nice road trip!
2013 SHO

dalum

I don't know how much I'd trust the pump stickers.  I was filling up with "93" at speedway and I looked across the isle and that pump said 92 where the 93 should be.  I highly doubt they have both so someone isn't getting whats advertised.
2013 Non-PP SHO

DJE624

That's kind of scary.  I just checked out a second Speedway by me.  The sticker said 93 just like the other station.  I better go in and ask them before I fill up. 

Scott13SHO

I sent LMS an email to see what they say regarding 92 vs 93 octane and if it seriously affects the car or not.

I think if you even went in and asked, you wouldn't get the right answer...
Ruby Red 2013 Ford Taurus SHO with Performance Package,Airaid CAI, MGP Red Caliper covers, LMS 93 Tune, Custom A-pillar Gauge pod with Aeroforce Interceptor Gauges, LED Interior and Exterior lights

DJE624

Thanks Scott.  Please let us know what they say.

Scott13SHO

That was quick:

You could try it and see if you get any spark knock or ping sounds.  Hesitation as well would be something to look for.  If so I would recommend to run a 91 performance tune.

Josephm

My assumption is your not going to see a difference unless your in the higher demand of fuel pressure, (i believe the top of 2nd is our hi spot, thought i read somewhere) and in the higher RPM's where the tune has had the timing advanced more than stock.
12' Flex EB
Unleashed X4
3rd Cat delete

Wild13SHO

I had to get 92 Octane the other day and I'm just not doing any full throttle hits until I'm 1/2 way through my next tank of 93.  No issues so far.

There's websites or an app that will show you what gas stations are around the area you're staying. 

The NJ turnpike has Sunoco stations at all of the rest stops and they have Ultra 93.  So you can at least get to you location in CT with some 93 octane.
Current:
2016 F150 2.7L Ecoboost.  Stock for Now
SOLD:
2013 SHO 400A, PP

vernonator

Quote from: Wild13SHO on September 17, 2013, 10:05:01 PM
I had to get 92 Octane the other day and I'm just not doing any full throttle hits until I'm 1/2 way through my next tank of 93.  No issues so far.

There's websites or an app that will show you what gas stations are around the area you're staying. 

The NJ turnpike has Sunoco stations at all of the rest stops and they have Ultra 93.  So you can at least get to you location in CT with some 93 octane.

Any idea on the name of the app? 93 is VERY scarce around Iowa, as in I know of two stations in the STATE that carry it. Heading to KC next weekend and would like to keep 93 in the tank.
2012 Tuxedo Black SHO w/PP. Livernois Stage 4+, PPE Catless DP's, EBC Stage 4 Front/Rear Brakes
2015 Tuxedo Black Explorer Sport 401A, no mods....YET :)

n8rfastback

You can get 93 in Bellevue, ne if your close to us, not sure where in ia your at.
2010 SHO

EcoBrick Bob

Qwik Star's carry 92- great prices.  Murphy (WalMart) carries 93 (Mason City and Cedar Falls and others) but the price is .50-.60 over 91 and I worry that it is stale due to low volume and being E-10. 

Since E-85 is plentiful... Why not mix a couple gal of it with 91 E-10?  That's my plan for stripping!!!!
2010 Red Candy/White EB Flex.. World's first 12 second Brick.. 12.904 @ 106.85 MPH - October 2011
2009 Spt. Red G8 GT - modded. best time 12.074 & 114.02 MPH
2008 White G8 GT - mods... 8.32 1/8 mi.

Naples, FL & Clear Lake, IA
Bob has decided not to post here any more, please do not PM him he will not receive it.

mjhpadi

Quote from: vernonator on September 18, 2013, 08:31:15 AM
Quote from: Wild13SHO on September 17, 2013, 10:05:01 PM

Any idea on the name of the app? 93 is VERY scarce around Iowa, as in I know of two stations in the STATE that carry it. Heading to KC next weekend and would like to keep 93 in the tank.
Gas Buddy is the app I use, it shows prices at all the stations in the area, but it doesn't show octane.  I   use it quite a bit and sometimes the prices aren't quite up to date, but it is a help...do wish they would show octane.  I have the app set to display premium fuel prices, which is nice, because I'm really not concerened with other prices.  However, my wife has her's set to display regular fuel pricing.
2010 Candy Red SHO, Livernois Stage 4 Tune, Airaid CAI, Tinted Headlamps & Tails, LED Interior Lighting, LED Running Lights, LED Puddle and License Plate Lamps, LED DRL's, Window Tint, Rear Window Spoiler, V3 Triton Switchback Running Lights, Colgan Bra, Ford Racing Gauges (oil pressure, oil temperature, boost/vacuum)
Replaced by 2020 Hertiage Edition GT-350