• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

93 Octane and Tune question

Started by Scott13SHO, September 17, 2013, 10:40:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vernonator

Quote from: EcoBrick Bob on September 18, 2013, 10:49:05 AM
Qwik Star's carry 92- great prices.  Murphy (WalMart) carries 93 (Mason City and Cedar Falls and others) but the price is .50-.60 over 91 and I worry that it is stale due to low volume and being E-10. 

Since E-85 is plentiful... Why not mix a couple gal of it with 91 E-10?  That's my plan for stripping!!!!

Murphy's are all I know that carry it. One in Altoona and one in Mason City, Cedar Falls is a good one to know (no that I get up that way ever). Gas Buddy - have heard of that one, will give it a try. I can mix/match fuel (91 and E-85) but that would be as a last resort...and E-85 is not all that plentiful when travelling either.

Anyone in the KC area? Whats the 93 octane availability there? Worst case I will reflash to the Stage 4/91octance for the trip.
2012 Tuxedo Black SHO w/PP. Livernois Stage 4+, PPE Catless DP's, EBC Stage 4 Front/Rear Brakes
2015 Tuxedo Black Explorer Sport 401A, no mods....YET :)

EcoBrick Bob

Quad Cities has numerous 93 stations.  In IA & IL, I see frequent E-85 locations... Many Kum & Go.
2010 Red Candy/White EB Flex.. World's first 12 second Brick.. 12.904 @ 106.85 MPH - October 2011
2009 Spt. Red G8 GT - modded. best time 12.074 & 114.02 MPH
2008 White G8 GT - mods... 8.32 1/8 mi.

Naples, FL & Clear Lake, IA
Bob has decided not to post here any more, please do not PM him he will not receive it.

Scott13SHO

I had to run 92 octane in the car Saturday coming back from CT...I haven't noticed any huge problems with the cars performance, but I'm starting to wonder about octane ratings at the local gas station I've been going to...

A new Royal Farms gas station opened up the street from work. They have 93 octane gas stickers on the pumps. I filled the car up with that before I got my tune. Only thing different I noticed since the tune in a negative way was the idle was off/rough ever so slightly. I figured it was just the tune or me imagining it.

I went to a Sunoco station up the street from me and put their 93 octane gas into the car and the idle seemed better (no stumble at all when first started)...I drove to jersey and refilled on the parkway again at the Sunoco with 93, but the little stumble seemed to come back. I drove home from CT and stopped at the Wawa that was selling 92, filled up and didn't notice any changes in the idle from before.

I have no pinging or spark knock with running any of the fuels above though. I think I'll try running the Sunoco from up the street next time when I fill up next couple times to see what happens.
Ruby Red 2013 Ford Taurus SHO with Performance Package,Airaid CAI, MGP Red Caliper covers, LMS 93 Tune, Custom A-pillar Gauge pod with Aeroforce Interceptor Gauges, LED Interior and Exterior lights

mjhpadi

I have found that the quality of gas does vary, I know I have descovered that in my car I get the worst mileage of all the fuels in my area is Sunoco...it usually drops my mileage .5-2 mpg.  Also I tried fuel of the local "cheap" place in one of my trucks and it was horrible.  So I think once you find a station that has quaility fuel, it's best to stick with it.  Luckily I have found a few in my area that I stay with.
2010 Candy Red SHO, Livernois Stage 4 Tune, Airaid CAI, Tinted Headlamps & Tails, LED Interior Lighting, LED Running Lights, LED Puddle and License Plate Lamps, LED DRL's, Window Tint, Rear Window Spoiler, V3 Triton Switchback Running Lights, Colgan Bra, Ford Racing Gauges (oil pressure, oil temperature, boost/vacuum)
Replaced by 2020 Hertiage Edition GT-350

EcoBrick Bob

Unless one literally tests every tank... there is no way to really know what CRAP is going into your tank.  Torrie says always run NAME BRAND FUEL... I run Costco, Murphy, Pilot, etc... and I believe that the cheapest price for 93 OR 91 is the best place to buy, due to volume sold.
2010 Red Candy/White EB Flex.. World's first 12 second Brick.. 12.904 @ 106.85 MPH - October 2011

Bob has decided not to post here any more, please do not PM him he will not receive it.

Needmoreboost

Straight Conocco 93 premium for me.  Thanks...
2014 Mustang GT/CS: white
Auto with custom Unleashed Tuning
Past honorable mentions: 13 SHO, 08 SRT4, 07 350Z, 03 Cobra, 03 Focus SVT, 00 GT Mustang, 91 LX Notch, etc.

mjhpadi

Quote from: EcoBrick Bob on October 01, 2013, 07:43:59 PM
Unless one literally tests every tank... there is no way to really know what CRAP is going into your tank.  Torrie says always run NAME BRAND FUEL... I run Costco, Murphy, Pilot, etc... and I believe that the cheapest price for 93 OR 91 is the best place to buy, due to volume sold.

You are quite right Bob and on top of that, who knows what crap is in the underground tanks...between water, dirt, and God knows what else, it's kind of amazing there isn't more fuel related issues.
2010 Candy Red SHO, Livernois Stage 4 Tune, Airaid CAI, Tinted Headlamps & Tails, LED Interior Lighting, LED Running Lights, LED Puddle and License Plate Lamps, LED DRL's, Window Tint, Rear Window Spoiler, V3 Triton Switchback Running Lights, Colgan Bra, Ford Racing Gauges (oil pressure, oil temperature, boost/vacuum)
Replaced by 2020 Hertiage Edition GT-350

EcoBrick Bob

Haven't had any this year... but last year both SeaDoo's ran really poorly till I changed out plugs.  Either too much Fogging Oil or bad 89' E-10.