• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Downpipes

Started by sunwolf, May 04, 2015, 01:09:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sunwolf

A few questions about LME downpipes (catted).
Will they throw a CEL on stock tune?
What diameter are they?
Are they 100% bolt on (no welding)?
Are they kept in stock or do I need to order them and wait for them to be made?
2014 Taurus SHO Black Performance Pack LMS tune 3bar tstat downpipes
2008 BMW M6 Convertible SMG
2008 F-150 XLT 4x4 5.4L
2011 F-150 Ecoboost Crew Cab 4x4
2012 Lincoln Navigator L 4x4

Livernois Motorsports

Quote from: sunwolf on May 04, 2015, 01:09:38 PM
A few questions about LME downpipes (catted).
Will they throw a CEL on stock tune?
What diameter are they?
Are they 100% bolt on (no welding)?
Are they kept in stock or do I need to order them and wait for them to be made?

Yes, because we are actually affecting the flow of air the O2 sensors will trip a CEL on the stock tune.
Our downpipes are 2.5" in ID.
They are 1,000% factory replacement.
We do have them on stock. They we actually just finished this morning.

AJP turbo

What's the point of an aftermarket downpipe if it throws a cel?

The cel is not due to a change in airflow but because of fuel metering...I can elaborate late tonight when I get off work...

To suggest that a resulting cel from an 02 sensor because of a change in airflow is retarded they do not measure airflow they measure fuel.

The rear O2 helps the ecu calculate how efficient the cats are based on how much fuel was needed to make a change in lambda readings..the ecu will periodically inject fuel without you knowing..there are thresholds that dictate how well the cat is working...if a lot of fuel is needed to change the Lambda reading then the cat is good if little fuel is needed then cats are inefficient...it's called the integrated air fuel method.

I know because that's how I figured what to change to set my monitors with race pipes
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

AJP turbo

Google ford obd theory and find your car model and it tells you what's involved in setting the monitors and the methods for determining catalyst efficiency among other things..all you nerds will find it interesting

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

ShoBoat

Quote from: ajpturbo on May 04, 2015, 06:39:00 PM
Google ford obd theory and find your car model and it tells you what's involved in setting the monitors and the methods for determining catalyst efficiency among other things..all you nerds will find it interesting

Just because I find OBD theory interesting doesn't make me a nerd. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2012 Pearl White CTS-V Stock
2016 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB Stock
2013 SHO Black on Black (Gone) PP, Unleashed Custom Tune, 170 TStat, SP534 Plugs, 3 Bar, Airaid Intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa Cat-back, H&R Springs. Focal 165KR Front Stage,2 JL W6 10 with Focal 800.1. 12.62 @ 110 mph.

AJP turbo

Quote from: ShoBoat on May 04, 2015, 09:18:04 PM

Quote from: ajpturbo on May 04, 2015, 06:39:00 PM

Just because I find OBD theory interesting doesn't make me a nerd. ;)

Yes it does but that's okay because I'm a nerd to

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

Livernois Motorsports

Quote from: ajpturbo on May 04, 2015, 06:24:27 PM

The cel is not due to a change in airflow but because of fuel metering...I can elaborate late tonight when I get off work...

To suggest that a resulting cel from an 02 sensor because of a change in airflow is retarded they do not measure airflow they measure fuel.

The rear O2 helps the ecu calculate how efficient the cats are based on how much fuel was needed to make a change in lambda readings..the ecu will periodically inject fuel without you knowing..there are thresholds that dictate how well the cat is working...if a lot of fuel is needed to change the Lambda reading then the cat is good if little fuel is needed then cats are inefficient...it's called the integrated air fuel method.

I know because that's how I figured what to change to set my monitors with race pipes

FYI, The O2 (O2=OXYGEN for those of you that are unfamiliar with the chemical abbreviation) sensor is mounted in the exhaust to monitor how much oxygen is in the exhaust fumes as they exit the engine.

What's the point of a race catted downpipe on a stock tune file? The ECU will calculate, adapt and compensate! If your DP does not deviate from the stock flow and/or design it is not adding power. What is the point of AFTERMARKET parts? TO ADD POWER! If you are not adding power why change said part? Tuning is the best way to take full advantage of your aftermarket additions. Hence, the reason why we offer custom tuning for performance DPs.

Livernois Motorsports

Arguing with us just because we are Livernois Motorsports is fun and all, but can we please stick to the topic that was brought up by the OP. Thank you.

sunwolf

Quote from: Livernois Motorsports on May 05, 2015, 08:48:43 AM

FYI, The O2 (O2=OXYGEN for those of you that are unfamiliar with the chemical abbreviation) sensor is mounted in the exhaust to monitor how much oxygen is in the exhaust fumes as they exit the engine.

What's the point of a race catted downpipe on a stock tune file? The ECU will calculate, adapt and compensate! If your DP does not deviate from the stock flow and/or design it is not adding power. What is the point of AFTERMARKET parts? TO ADD POWER! If you are not adding power why change said part? Tuning is the best way to take full advantage of your aftermarket additions. Hence, the reason why we offer custom tuning for performance DPs.
The only reason I ask about the stock tune is because when I take the car to the dealer I want it on the stock tune with no cel. Otherwise it's tune all the way.
2014 Taurus SHO Black Performance Pack LMS tune 3bar tstat downpipes
2008 BMW M6 Convertible SMG
2008 F-150 XLT 4x4 5.4L
2011 F-150 Ecoboost Crew Cab 4x4
2012 Lincoln Navigator L 4x4

Livernois Motorsports

Quote from: sunwolf on May 05, 2015, 08:51:30 AM
Quote from: Livernois Motorsports on May 05, 2015, 08:48:43 AM

The only reason I ask about the stock tune is because when I take the car to the dealer I want it on the stock tune with no cel. Otherwise it's tune all the way.

I totally understood why you were asking. The DPs need to be tuned for, and honestly, you wouldn't want it any other way.

SHOdded

Quote from: Livernois Motorsports on May 05, 2015, 08:50:28 AM
Arguing with us just because we are Livernois Motorsports is fun and all, but can we please stick to the topic that was brought up by the OP. Thank you.
LOL.  I though aj was simply saying that the CEL can be turned off in a tune, plus a little more in detail as to the reason for his belief.  This amount of verbiage from him hardly constitutes an argument :)  One thing about AJ, he doesn't single anybody out, FWIW!
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ShoBoat

Quote from: SHOdded on May 05, 2015, 09:15:16 AM
LOL.  I though aj was simply saying that the CEL can be turned off in a tune, plus a little more in detail as to the reason for his belief.  This amount of verbiage from him hardly constitutes an argument :)  One thing about AJ, he doesn't single anybody out, FWIW!

Agreed lol! So if you are worried about warranty issues you should wait to install DPs? If it throws a cel when returned to stock then I am pretty sure the dealer is going to give you a hard time.

2013 SHO Black on Black (Gone) PP, Unleashed Custom Tune, 170 TStat, SP534 Plugs, 3 Bar, Airaid Intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa Cat-back, H&R Springs. Focal 165KR Front Stage,2 JL W6 10 with Focal 800.1. 12.62 @ 110 mph.

SHOnUup

The edited version seems much nicer than calling someone a retard. Pretty sad it's come to just accept the childish manner.

Rich

2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

Livernois Motorsports

Quote from: ShoBoat on May 05, 2015, 09:20:49 AM

Quote from: SHOdded on May 05, 2015, 09:15:16 AM

Really?

Agreed lol! So if you are worried about warranty issues you should wait to install DPs? If it throws a cel when returned to stock then I am pretty sure the dealer is going to give you a hard time.

You can take your vehicle in with the downpipes on the stock tune file. We do it all the time when there is a TSB on any of our vehicles. The O2 and cat efficiency codes that are thrown just tell the tech that there are DPs on. It is not a sound the alarm type of code. They will say that it is time to have them change your cats and o2s is all.

ShoBoat

^^ thanks for the response and clearing that up.