• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

MKS EcoBoost owner in Dayton Ohio

Started by HtrdMKS, February 11, 2015, 02:11:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HtrdMKS

Just bought a CPO 2013 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost. Tuxedo Black Metallic, Dune Leather, Adapt Cruise, 202A with 17K miles. I had been considering a "Red-S" 2012 MKS EB, a 2013 MKS EB, or a SHO with PP. Due to availablity and right price at the right time the 2013 MKS won out.

I haven't even driven it in 3 weeks. Only drove it home from the dealer in Columbus and now waiting for all the salt to wash off the roads. LOL

I've allways been a "sprited driver" so I'm thinking about adding a tune, 3-bar, and 160 or 170 thermostat. Not looking to be the "fastest MKS" so I don't think I want to add CAI.

Any suggestions, pros/cons, or info on running blending E-85/Unleaded or is it best to stick with Unl93?
Seen some discussions on E-85 blends but not 100% sure if they apply to 93 tune or if other mods are required.
2013 EcoBoost MKS, Tux Black, No Mods - Yet

Brucelinc

Glad to see another MKS owner on the forum!   Used MKSs are a great bargain.  By getting a 2013, you are getting the adjustable suspension, noise cancellation, better brakes, and other upgrades compared with the 2010-2012s.

By all means, get a tune!  It will be the best money you ever spent and you will not regret it.  The only downside is that you may need the grin surgically removed from your face.  I have a Livernois tune/3 bar and it knocked over a second off the stock 0-60 time.  The overall response, transmission behavior and drivability is vastly improved, yet it still runs smooth as a kitten and gets even better highway mileage. 

panther427

Unfortunately these cars currently can not support full e 85 in Any format.  A stock 13+ can run a pretty strong blend in summer time. If you want a tune and the ability to use the corn LMS Will not do it.  you will have to use sct from unleashed or let.  Hp tunes should be supporting the cars soon if you wish to wait. 

But simply putting in about 4 gallons of corn in a stock car will make a very noticeable power difference.
2013 SHO

ZSHO

:WELCOME: :WELCOME: :WELCOME:Welcome aboard the E.B.P.F partner,please post some pics of the ride,you mentioned mods and basicall a tune from Livernois Motorsports or Torrie will give you the best bang for your buck with a 3-bar map sensor,i believe the 160 stat from Livernois is better for performance together with new plugs gapped at 0.30 recommended with a new tune,any questions you may have feel free to ask and again welcome.

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SHOdded

Welcome to the community, glad to see another MKS join the party :)  Gotta put up a pic or two for us to ogle at!  Def keep it off the roads till winter is over.  With the rash of numbnuts running into our precious EBs, better not to tempt fate.

As far as performance, I am sure you already saw this post, but here it is anyway:
http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,808

Since yours is a 2013, I think you can run up to E25 (blended DIY) if you want.  Otherwise a 93 tune is a great way to go.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

peppelepugh

FINALLY SOMEONE CLOSE TO ME WITH ANOTHER ECOBOOST!!!!!!! Welcome!!!!!
2011 Kona Blue SHO non-PP: MDesign Carbon Fiber CAI, All interior lights LEDs, LED Puddles, and LED Reverse.

EBC Stage 4 Brake kit, 170* T-stat, 3-Bar MAP, NGK Plugs, PPE Catless-DPs and Tune by Torrie!

HtrdMKS

Quote from: panther427 on February 11, 2015, 03:23:36 PM
Unfortunately these cars currently can not support full e 85 in Any format.  A stock 13+ can run a pretty strong blend in summer time. If you want a tune and the ability to use the corn LMS Will not do it.  you will have to use sct from unleashed or let.  Hp tunes should be supporting the cars soon if you wish to wait. 

But simply putting in about 4 gallons of corn in a stock car will make a very noticeable power difference.

I wasn't thinking about running pure E-85.
So does the "Tune" have to be setup for running a "E26 Mix" = 4 gallons E-85 with 15 gallons 93 (e10)? Is running a "E26 Mix" better than running straight 93 Octane?
2013 EcoBoost MKS, Tux Black, No Mods - Yet

panther427

Yes you will want the tune optimized for the corn juice. If your using oxygenated base fuel. That 4 gallons will come out closer to an e30

Here is the fuel calculator we have been using.

http://www.intercepteft.com/calc.html
2013 SHO

Livernois Motorsports

Welcome to the family!

Thanks for the shoutouts guys, we appreciate the kind words and referrals!

We do not recommend running E85 on EB cars like earlier stated in the thread, because there are a few things to consider.

Availability- if you have a tune for E85, and yes it does need to be tuned for correctly, and you venture into a state that hardly offers it like here in the motor city...you are stuck.

Consistancy- depending upon your geographic location the exact % of corn changes, yes even from station to station.

Mixology- I realize that it is not hard to measure, but do you really want to have to be Bill Nye every time you get fuel? NO! Leave the mixology to the guys and gals that work behind the bar lol.

Fueling on the EB as a whole is a rough road...E85 although it is more powerful more of it is required at all times. If we already know that the platform has fueling issues why tax that system further?

Let us tune for 93 with our version 8, 3BAR,Tstat and downpipe tune and you will eat pavement all day every day! There will be nothing for you to have to think about...except for speed limits of course!

TSS

I do LOVE my LME 3 Bar tune on my MKS and the personal service I get. Jaimie has been a great resource there and is very accessible for questions and help.   You are fairly close in OH to LME as well.   Geographic proximity to me is what originally helped me choose between the two respected  tuners.

Nice to see to MKS crowd growing.
2010 Steel Blue Metallic MKS Ecoboost: LME 3-Bar Tuned; tint; 20" Factory rims Permachromed

2017 Summit White Buick Envision Premium AWD 2.0 Turbo
2017 Silver Cadillac XTS V-Sport Platinum  3.6 Twin Turbo; LME tuned.

EcoPowerParts

Welcome! Some mixing of E85 can be tolerated on the stock fueling system, Torrie@Unleashed and Erick@LET will both work with you on this scenario if you want to forge ahead.
Mike B | info@ecopowerparts.com
www.ecopowerparts.com -
please use my website for any price quotes and to submit any orders.
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.
https://www.facebook.com/ecopowerparts

SHOnUup

Welcome to the neighborhood fellow ecobooster. Gonna cut ya some slack for living in Ohio because of the ecoboost...go BLUE...lol ;)

I run a Livernois 93 tune in my SHO. Strictly to fend off the subpar winter blend gas I add 1.5 gallons of corn to a full tank. Just enough to keep that 93 tune plugged in.

Good luck with the ride, keep us in "tune" with the progress.

X2 on the pics (tapatalk app allows direct load from phone, real easy that way)

Rich

2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

FoMoCoSHO

Howdy neighbor!

I'm Torrie tuned on a now 15% blend.

Do you drink coffee?

Maybe we can line em up at kil kare this spring.

I can show you how to mix e85 easy peasy and you can have multiple tunes in case you are traveling.

EcoPowerParts

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on February 11, 2015, 08:41:48 PM
I can show you how to mix e85 easy peasy and you can have multiple tunes in case you are traveling.
Makes me so happy to have a flex fuel sensor and auto tuning for E85 :D (not ecoboost but maybe in the future...)
Mike B | info@ecopowerparts.com
www.ecopowerparts.com -
please use my website for any price quotes and to submit any orders.
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.
https://www.facebook.com/ecopowerparts

peppelepugh

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on February 11, 2015, 08:41:48 PM
Howdy neighbor!

I'm Torrie tuned on a now 15% blend.

Do you drink coffee?

Maybe we can line em up at kil kare this spring.

Let me know when they open/you head out that way. I wanna see what some corn can do to these machines!
2011 Kona Blue SHO non-PP: MDesign Carbon Fiber CAI, All interior lights LEDs, LED Puddles, and LED Reverse.

EBC Stage 4 Brake kit, 170* T-stat, 3-Bar MAP, NGK Plugs, PPE Catless-DPs and Tune by Torrie!