• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

PTU service

Started by bamsho, January 09, 2015, 07:07:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bamsho

Brought home the SHO today, had to deal with couple snow squalls, that was interesting.  Saw the fluid that was removed from the PTU, look good for 33,000 miles, not thick and pasty looking.  Total bill for the service was $106.  $33 for 2 quarts of Royal Purple, $73.00 for Spangler's to preform the service.  I highly recommend in the central PA area to take there SHO,MKS, Exsport there for PTU service.
2013 white Gen 5.  Gearhead Intercooler, Turbosmart wastegate actuators, Alky Controls meth kit, Livernois catted downpipes,  Livernois Corsa cat back black etched tips.  2016 True Street Champion.

BiGMaC

Quote from: bamsho on January 09, 2015, 07:07:51 PM
Brought home the SHO today, had to deal with couple snow squalls, that was interesting.  Saw the fluid that was removed from the PTU, look good for 33,000 miles, not thick and pasty looking.  Total bill for the service was $106.  $33 for 2 quarts of Royal Purple, $73.00 for Spangler's to preform the service.  I highly recommend in the central PA area to take there SHO,MKS, Exsport there for PTU service.

Thanks for the report!... good to know it doesn't always turn to black sludge.  Now f I can just find someone here in Phx metro... still have time to look. Planning change at 25K.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

bpd1151

Brought home the SHO today.

Total bill for the service was $106. 

$33 for 2 quarts of Royal Purple, $73.00 for Spangler's to perform the service. 

$106 sure is cheap insurance for peace of mind, as well as increasing the longevity of your PTU overall.

Great job!

sixtn39

Since you don't list it in your sig I assume that you have a non PP, correct?
2011 SHO non PP
Love my Adaptive cruise

MDesign Performance

I thought the PTU held one quart? Just did this service myself the other day and was able to get just over a half quart in there. Of the junk I did get out it was black, burnt, and sludge-like. This is after changing out the PTU oil at 22k miles with Royal Purple and now again at 45k.
2011 MKS EcoBoost: MDesign Carbon Cold Air Intake; SP-534 Plugs; Power Stop C/S Rotors

sales@mdesignperformance.com
www.mdesignperformance.com
www.facebook.com/MDesignPerformance

bpd1151

PTU gets 1.1 pints of 75-140 of w/e brand you prefer.

bamsho

I have a '12 PP car.  Spangler's are a BG dealer and have the equipment to suck out the old fluid and put in new.  Not sure how there equipment would work on cause with burnt, black, sludge oil, but I'm sure they could do it.
2013 white Gen 5.  Gearhead Intercooler, Turbosmart wastegate actuators, Alky Controls meth kit, Livernois catted downpipes,  Livernois Corsa cat back black etched tips.  2016 True Street Champion.

SHOdded

Quote from: Spartn27 on January 10, 2015, 12:08:08 AM
I thought the PTU held one quart? Just did this service myself the other day and was able to get just over a half quart in there. Of the junk I did get out it was black, burnt, and sludge-like. This is after changing out the PTU oil at 22k miles with Royal Purple and now again at 45k.
Time to take a boroscope to it?  If you suspect it's not getting cleaned out enough, then a thinner like kerosene or ATF needs to be used & removed for a flush before the final PTU fill with gear oil.  OR repeat the PTU fluid change process at a much shorter interval (say 1K) so the new fluid has had a chance to thin out the old gummy fluid until satisfied.  Probably would be cheaper to find a BG service shop tho.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SHOnUup

High quality move to save that little thing some wear and tear. I wonder I'd you had sludge build up on the plug end like others and me. My fluid wasn't real thick but I know there's some sludge in it with the gunk that was on the plug.

Rich

2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

bamsho

I'll ask when I go back, CD player quit working.

SHOdded

SHO still parked outside, Brian?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

bamsho

Yeah Manu,   she is freaking mess from the snow squalls,  and too freaking cold to wash her.

SHOdded

Need a few warm, sunny days to set things right :)

SHOnUup

Quote from: bamsho on January 11, 2015, 04:28:17 AM
Yeah Manu,   she is freaking mess from the snow squalls,  and too freaking cold to wash her.
It's horrible here too. -5 to -15 last 3 days straight. No touches were shut until yesterday. Still only a partial clean as it instantly freezes when leaving the driers.

Rich

2011 Sterling Gray Metallic SHO non PP,
12.4211 @ 110.28 Livernois 3bar tune & CAI,
Added since...PPE catless Dpipes, Megan coilovers, Powergrid adjustable end links, and EBC slotted rotors and red stuff pads.
Tommy Designs grille with carbon fiber hydrographics, fender badges and fog bezels hydrodipped also, tinted windows, head & taillights, debadged trunk with all chrome plasti-dipped, black calipers, obdlink mx scantool running torque pro on 7" tablet.

MDesign Performance

Quote from: SHOnUup on January 11, 2015, 09:13:36 AM
Quote from: bamsho on January 11, 2015, 04:28:17 AM
It's horrible here too. -5 to -15 last 3 days straight. No touches were shut until yesterday. Still only a partial clean as it instantly freezes when leaving the driers.

Rich

I'm kind of regretting living in Michigan now! This wind chill is ridiculous  :-
2011 MKS EcoBoost: MDesign Carbon Cold Air Intake; SP-534 Plugs; Power Stop C/S Rotors

sales@mdesignperformance.com
www.mdesignperformance.com
www.facebook.com/MDesignPerformance