• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Full hard pipe CAI from FastLaneTurbo 3.5 EB

Started by SwampRat, April 02, 2014, 04:55:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BiGMaC

No contest on the data... It may even point out the differences in engines we don't easily appreciate.   Do the new GM cars have the engine compartment as closed as it is in the SHO, like with the bottom shroud? I've considered hood vents like bpd or even a custom cowl hood to cool things off.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

navbtcret

Quote from: SHODYOU on April 03, 2014, 11:47:39 AM
Not saying I disagree, but in the Mustang world the short ram air intakes make as much or more power than kits with filter over in the fender. Because once rolling the iat's are the same between both, its only in stop and go traffic where the cai does a better job.
I have tons of datalogs from the Mustang to prove it

Ford and GM both utilize open element filters inside the engine bay... the new Z28 and GT500 are both this way.

They do but they do not have turbos and piping that run off hot exhaust sitting in the engine compartment warming it up. That is the big difference which is why they have bigger gains with a CAI.
2013 SHO Non PP, LMS 93 Performance v8, 3 Bar MAP, 170 Stat, MDesign CAI, Hot Pipes with TiAL BOV, PPE Catted Downpipes

SwampRat

Quote from: 4DRHTRD on April 03, 2014, 11:24:36 AM
Just FYI if you buy an intake that pulls air from inside the engine compartment myself, EB Bob and others found that you lose .2 and 2MPH in the 1/4 mile.
The stock intake with a stock filter beat a $300 intake repeatedly at the track...
So pretty intake but you just lost 20HP.
Function > Form for me.

Cold Air Intakes Mythbusted

Ok .... time to get radical and some serious modfications required that most will not consider .

This FastLane CAI is very similar to the one that bpd1151 has and I think that is the one that 4DR was basing the one he was considering to make on .

Primary considerations are to reduce air flow restrictions to the turbos and eliminating the plastic crap will help  with this .   Another major consideration is improved  ( more  ) airflow from outside of the engine compartment to the air filter and box assy .

Now you can call me NUTS .... how about a functional  mini custom made version  of the Mustang " Shaker " Hood Scoop that attaches  to a fully  enclosed aluminum box base and  protrudes through  the hood about 3 inches  and have an opening about 2" × 8"  ....
2013 SHO  ....  not mine anymore

2021 Edge ST

black99lightning

Quote from: bigmoneycloser on April 03, 2014, 07:04:49 AM

Quote from: SwampRat on April 02, 2014, 08:00:31 PM
Quote from: explorergotoluvit on April 02, 2014, 07:41:11 PM
is this going to work with the xsport?

SHO / MKS/ FLEX / MKT

XSport always being left out... ;(

Should fit.  Pulled the Airade of the Taurus and installed it on the Xsport.  Swapped the K&N typhoon from the Xsport to the SHO.  both fit each vehicle perfectly.
2013 Esport 13.44 @ 103.6
1999 Lightning 12.44 @ 108.4
2012 GT500 10.96 @ 130.6
2006 GTO 12.83 @ 107.8
2013 CTSV coupe 11.79 @ 119.7

ONLYA6

Just FYI if you buy an intake that pulls air from inside the engine compartment myself, EB Bob and others found that you lose .2 and 2MPH in the 1/4 mile.
The stock intake with a stock filter beat a $300 intake repeatedly at the track...
Function > Form for me.

Same scenario with me. Ran the best with stock intake. After having all the piping off I really don't see how changing piping will give you 20hp. I too prefer function > form.

We shall see what my car makes In a few days with stock intake/K&N and upgraded turbos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Steven

2013 Taurus SHO - Best ET 12.7/ MPH 110
1999 Mustang V6 - Turbo - 474 whp 431 wtq

ONLYA6

Speaking of the Mustangs - you are seeing most of the benefit in increasing the diameter of the piping that the MAF sensor is in and tuning accordingly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Steven

2013 Taurus SHO - Best ET 12.7/ MPH 110
1999 Mustang V6 - Turbo - 474 whp 431 wtq

panther427

I think it we can agree that at stock levels the current Airraid and K & N CAI don't do much if anything.. The way i have viewed CAI is they are supporting mod.. There purpose it to make the most of your other mods. The stock box is well designed not that pretty but it does work.. To me the issue has alwasy been the rest of the intake pipe.. That is a horrible mess. Stock levels obviously it works. But when you increase the demand on airflow via a tune, downpipes and the larger turbos i bet there is alot of restriction and i could see how you could gain a pound of boost. The turbos can breathe easier.. then can spend less engergy sucking in air and more of it compressing the air..

Im realy curious what modification Fastlane is making to there kit that they will be making this week.
2013 SHO

BiGMaC

Quote from: panther427 on April 03, 2014, 01:22:08 PM
I think it we can agree that at stock levels the current Airraid and K & N CAI don't do much if anything.. The way i have viewed CAI is they are supporting mod.. There purpose it to make the most of your other mods. The stock box is well designed not that pretty but it does work.. To me the issue has alwasy been the rest of the intake pipe.. That is a horrible mess. Stock levels obviously it works. But when you increase the demand on airflow via a tune, downpipes and the larger turbos i bet there is alot of restriction and i could see how you could gain a pound of boost. The turbos can breathe easier.. then can spend less engergy sucking in air and more of it compressing the air..

Im realy curious what modification Fastlane is making to there kit that they will be making this week.

Completely agree with all said here and below... I am always curious about new products and no exception here...  :thumb:

SW's idea is good too, and done well would be more aesthetic than a lot of the intake ideas.   Don't know if there's room below the middle of the hood though... maybe to the sides... reverse the direction of what bpd did? ...

As well as intake air temp there's heat soak to consider.  I still feel that a cowl hood mod , maybe in combination with a "sealed to the intake scoop" might be the best for the intake to filter side as well as help keep engine temps down by creating flow around the engine... just don't want to see a warmed up engine with oil temps , about 165 degrees where some oil flow and lube problems could surface.  And yes... We MUST eliminate that morass of the plastic pipe from the filter box (whatever it is) to the turbo inlets I'm sure.

Pretty sonn I hope to have an answer to whether Unleashed or LMS tuned '13 SHOs show any performance difference on the dyno, at least in my car (see my earlier post).

Advance this platform!  Someone will hit a home run.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

SwampRat

Quote from: BiGMaC on April 03, 2014, 01:53:31 PM

SW's idea is good too, and done well would be more aesthetic than a lot of the intake ideas.   Don't know if there's room below the middle of the hood though... maybe to the sides... reverse the direction of what bpd did? ...

I still feel that a cowl hood mod , maybe in combination with a "sealed to the intake scoop" might be the best for the intake to filter side as well as help keep engine temps down by creating flow around the engine... just don't want to see a warmed up engine with oil temps , about 165 degrees where some oil flow and lube problems could surface.  And yes... We MUST eliminate that morass of the plastic pipe from the filter box (whatever it is) to the turbo inlets I'm sure.

The sealed to the intake cowl hood mod is a definite possibility as well but either way I would only have one inlet above  the  same  general area as the OEM location and slightly back .

Either way lots of custom work required but a basis for either Hood inlet mod will be a CAI similar to the one that  bpd1151 has or the one that FastLane is changing there fab on .

2021 Edge ST

panther427

Well swap rat i think a NACA duct  would be the best for the location.
2013 SHO

SwampRat

Quote from: panther427 on April 03, 2014, 02:34:29 PM
Well swap rat i think a NACA duct  would be the best for the location.

Thanks for the input ... more options to ponder and consider.

2021 Edge ST

black99lightning

Function > Form for me.

I had quizzed Bob on this before he left the site.  I don't think he installed his at the track, which I did.  You can't compare two different days, as conditions(temp, track prep, humidity) are never the same.  I never did get an answer?  According to my unscientific testing I gained, but very marginally. Bought the Airad and installed it at the track.  I made a pass stock, then installed the intake.  My results were a net gain of .05ths and .3mph.  Definitely not a loss of 2ths and 2mph.

http://www.shoforum.com/showthread.php?t=118724

2012 GT500 10.96 @ 130.6
2006 GTO 12.83 @ 107.8

EcoPowerParts

I ran back to back tests sane night switching back and forth with same results.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Mike B | info@ecopowerparts.com
www.ecopowerparts.com -
please use my website for any price quotes and to submit any orders.
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.
https://www.facebook.com/ecopowerparts

black99lightning

Quote from: 4DRHTRD on April 03, 2014, 04:10:48 PM
I ran back to back tests sane night switching back and forth with same results.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

You lost 2ths and 2 mph?  I definitely didn't experience this.  But it's simple enough to swap, and I go to the track quite often.  I'll bring my stock box/stock filter to the next outing, and try again.  If for some odd reason I pick up 2ths and 2mph, my K&N will be forsale.
2012 GT500 10.96 @ 130.6
2006 GTO 12.83 @ 107.8

Boggus

Fastlane is fairly close to me.  When is the install Friday?
2013 unleashed SHO PP