• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Questions about cutout for aftermarket DP / stock exhaust

Started by dmharvey79, January 23, 2014, 11:33:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dmharvey79

I've read through the posts about cutouts and most of what I'm seeing is a little fancier, and a little more expensive, than my budget will allow. Here is the general plan I'm considering on my stock '13 SHO/PP with a 93 LMS tune -

- PPE catted DP, since I need to pass emissions.

- Cutout similar to this: http://www.amazon.com/QTEC25CPSK1-Electric-Exhaust-Stainless-Cutout/dp/B00C43CY5U/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1390493605&sr=1-1&keywords=qtp+2.25%22+cutout

- Stock exhaust, or as close to stock as possible if some modifications are required.

Any insight into whether or not this is a worthwhile project with just a DP/tune, and how much fabrication or modification would be required to do this, will be greatly appreciated. My car is a daily driver but I get to the strip on a regular basis and I figure the time to consider a cutout would be while I'm installing an aftermarket DP.

This will be my first time modifying the exhaust on a turbo vehicle so any feedback will be greatly appreciated and I'll continue to scan the forum for new posts on this topic. Thanks in advance!

SRT82ECOBOOST

Come this spring this is the exact route that I am going with. It offers the best bang for the buck for performance and sound. Here are two suggestions:
-Off from your downpipes run a short section of 2.5" exhaust piping to mount the cutouts and have more effective flow through.
-Look at QTP low profile cutouts. They are far smaller in height and may be needed to easily fit under your vehicle.
With this system you get the best of both worlds. Loud when you want and toned down when you want. Plus the cutouts were proven by another member to truly add performance to the vehicle.
2013 SHO PP in White Platinum Metallic Tricoat, PPE Downpipes, Livernois Stage V8/3 Bar, Custom 2.5" Catback, 170 T-stat, Airaid CAI, H+R Springs and debadged
Boston Acoustics 2.1 Audio Upgrade

BiGMaC

Quote from: SRT82ECOBOOST on January 23, 2014, 11:56:25 AM
Come this spring this is the exact route that I am going with. It offers the best bang for the buck for performance and sound. Here are two suggestions:
-Off from your downpipes run a short section of 2.5" exhaust piping to mount the cutouts and have more effective flow through.
-Look at QTP low profile cutouts. They are far smaller in height and may be needed to easily fit under your vehicle.
With this system you get the best of both worlds. Loud when you want and toned down when you want. Plus the cutouts were proven by another member to truly add performance to the vehicle.

The QTP's have a great selection and some absolute control (functioning vs. not functioning) is important.   For my SHO I was thinking a boost activated cutout, BUT with an electric solenoid valve in the boost tubing so I can disable it... like the electric ones... but also have a quiet car at idle.  I was thinking' so i could "cheat on the street" with it.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

SRT82ECOBOOST

I like the idea of the boost activated cutout if there was also a way to disable it completely when needed. I also am leary of the longevity of the boost activated cutouts I have found. My vehicle sees sand and salt for six months out of the year. I know from personal experience that the QTP and DMH cutouts hold up under these harsh conditions.
2013 SHO PP in White Platinum Metallic Tricoat, PPE Downpipes, Livernois Stage V8/3 Bar, Custom 2.5" Catback, 170 T-stat, Airaid CAI, H+R Springs and debadged

BiGMaC

Good point... I don't know on the salt/debris durability of the boost activated and most do seem to have an exposed actuator piston.  In southern AZ none of that to deal with and trips to the mountains can be scheduled to avoid foul weather.  In AZ they don't use salt anymore.. mostly a lot of cinders.

To do the system I describe I envision a solenoid operated (electric) valve in the boost tubing to the cutout valve actuator... when "on" the valve would open with boost (but close with the manifold vacuum present at idle) and when "off" the valve in the boost tubing closes and so the cutout stays closed...

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI

dmharvey79

I guess my next step will be to look over the stock exhaust system over to get a feel for how much room is available to splice in the cutout components. I'm definitely planning to go with an electric cutout so the car whill stay quiet during daily driving. Thanks for all of the comments so far!

BiGMaC

FracaSHO

Why just a single cutout? I thought the SHO's were dual exhaust.

Brad
2010 SHO with PP
Sent from my iPhone
Brad
2010 Tuxedo Black SHO w/ PP

BiGMaC

For me two factors... Using an H-pipe and install it there cuts the cost about 50% without any significant demonstrated performance loss and simplifies the mod.

dmharvey79

What is your gameplan for fabricating the H-pipe setup? If anybody has pics or drawing I' be interested in seeing them. I saw the super-fancy one posted on the forum, and it looks awesome, but I'm not looking to go that far with it.

FoMoCoSHO

I'm pretty sure 4dr has pics on the site somewhere. If you can't find them let me know, I bought his and I can post a pic for you after work.

BiGMaC

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on January 23, 2014, 02:27:39 PM
I'm pretty sure 4dr has pics on the site somewhere. If you can't find them let me know, I bought his and I can post a pic for you after work.

There is one in group buys and another video of it working on his flex ... just search "cutout"

BTW... can I ask what you had to pay..... the company lost the jig, so reproducing it will be a little costly and the actual valve is extra.

SRT82ECOBOOST

The QTP cutouts run about $380 plus I recommend the wireless controller for another $80 roughly. These cutouts either can be installed with the y-pipes or welding directly to the exhaust pipe. Each time I had them mounted it cost me only $100 to have them welded in. It will be tough to beat that price with any other approach.

BiGMaC

Quote from: dmharvey79 on January 23, 2014, 01:40:52 PM
What is your gameplan for fabricating the H-pipe setup? If anybody has pics or drawing I' be interested in seeing them. I saw the super-fancy one posted on the forum, and it looks awesome, but I'm not looking to go that far with it.
I think PPE has it or can fab it with everything excet the valve.  I like 4DR's design (search this forum for cutout or it is pictured on the ecoboost performance parts main page).... I like srt's price!... So I'm thinking still in terms of a hybrid system for more control than just closed or open.

panther427

ya i love the fancy cutout 4DR had but its to much money for me.. I will probally get QTP electric cut outs and mount them when i do the DP.
2013 SHO