• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

OEM Stereo Upgrade: JL Audio or Alpine

Started by SRT82ECOBOOST, November 25, 2013, 06:49:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dxlnt1

Very true on the options which is why I will definitely be using this. Part of my maxima install is I also have a 2.5" lcd screen. I split the video from the head unit. So I can view any 2 video sources at same time time. DVD, iPod video, NAV, or aux input. So I may put 2-2.5 screens.

As for the box, again I am on the bubble. I like the factory look and space. Can get a very good sound without a box with the right sub. I think even a 15" would fit on side wall. And still allow for access from passenger compartment. And, I do not intend to entertain the neighborhood with my sound system.

Scosche 2010 - Up Ford Taurus Installation Kit with Touchscreen AC Controls
2011 SHO, 3 Bar, AJP Turbo-Tune, ACES IV, Boostane 170 T-stat, PPE Catted DP's, Alpine Sound system, Touch screen HVAC controls, full window tint

BiGMaC

I love the split screen you did!  Great idea and execution.  :thumb: 

15"... WOAH!  I good free air 15" will definitely move enough air to bump subsonic!  One install I did was a 98 nissan stretch cab... 2 Aura prosound 36" subs... 12 caps... we blew the rear window completely out... LOL.  My point was more for 10-12" subs.  The ported box helps direct the sound pressure for a better instantaneous hit. If your goal is primarily sound quality a good free air sub that stays linear to an impedance spike below 20 Hz will definitely make a dynamite system.

As you build it please post pics as the install progresses.  TIA... Sounds like it's gonna be a real killer.
We'll all be watching to see how it turns out.  :popcorn:

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

Fast SHO

Decided on a final set of gear.

Mosconi 4to6 DSP, PHD FB Pro 6.1 Component Speakers run Active with a Mosconi Gladen One 120.4, the JL 12w6v3 and JL JX 1000/1.

I now have a set of JL C3-650 components that are going up for sale along with a NIB PG Xenon 200.2 amp.

Going to build a false floor in the trunk with the sub firing up placed in the spare.
2014 SHO PP

Dxlnt1

Full Alpine system installed. Replaced door speakers with Alpine type r. Installed 2-10" subs type s in trunk. Factory amp used to power factory subs and surround speakers. (Front & rear deck).

Head unit is Alpine INE-W927HD. Killer unit. Killer features. Killer sound. This unit much faster than previous Kenwood units I used.

Scosche adapter kit makes everything flow seemlessly in cabin. Looks like factory install. Scosche could have done better to match panel colors but overall looks great. Because of this I can't do gage pod install now maybe by summer.

http://youtu.be/ZsX7H1JMbaI
2011 SHO, 3 Bar, AJP Turbo-Tune, ACES IV, Boostane 170 T-stat, PPE Catted DP's, Alpine Sound system, Touch screen HVAC controls, full window tint

BiGMaC

Love the center stack/head unit work! :thumbsup:  system looks like it should rock!

Tell me a bit about the mounting  support you did for the subs.... and do you get a bump  from it?

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI

Dxlnt1

Quote from: BiGMaC on December 21, 2013, 11:51:56 PM
Love the center stack/head unit work! :thumbsup:  system looks like it should rock!

Tell me a bit about the mounting  support you did for the subs.... and do you get a bump  from it?

Bumps thumps and knocks! My friendly installer built fiberglass box. Box bolted to floor and tethered, anchored to fender wells. No rattle anywhere. I havent fine tuned the whole system yet for my taste but there is plenty of range from the built in parametric EQ.

I tried to upload a video to show the time to start up and startup sequence. Will have to do it from home tomorrow.

SHOdded

Looking good!  Sounding good too, I bet.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

BiGMaC

Quote from: Dxlnt1 on December 22, 2013, 12:04:31 AM
Quote from: BiGMaC on December 21, 2013, 11:51:56 PM

Bumps thumps and knocks! My friendly installer built fiberglass box. Box bolted to floor and tethered, anchored to fender wells. No rattle anywhere. I havent fine tuned the whole system yet for my taste but there is plenty of range from the built in parametric EQ.

I tried to upload a video to show the time to start up and startup sequence. Will have to do it from home tomorrow.

Definitely wanna see!...

I'd love any pics of the boxes you might have.

Fast SHO

How do you like that dash kit?  Any quirks that bother you other than the color?

Does it control the heated steering wheel, and air cooled seats?
2014 SHO PP

Dxlnt1

Quote from: Fast SHO on December 22, 2013, 08:20:53 AM
How do you like that dash kit?  Any quirks that bother you other than the color?

Does it control the heated steering wheel, and air cooled seats?

The dash is great. Even the color is not real noticeable once you are engaged in spirited driving. My car does not have heated steering, so I cannot comment on that. But I presume that it will detect that element within the harness and offer control.

The rest of the climate control is spot on. Controls heated/cooled seats, defrost and such.

Only thing I did not do was add a camera for reverse. Instead, I had signal from existing camera split to head unit. So when in reverse, image displays on mirror and head unit. But I cannot trigger the camera by itself to watch behind me while driving. I would do that that if someone following me.

Dxlnt1

Quote from: Dxlnt1 on December 21, 2013, 11:22:36 PM
Full Alpine system installed. Replaced door speakers with Alpine type r. Installed 2-10" subs type s in trunk. Factory amp used to power factory subs and surround speakers. (Front & rear deck).

Head unit is Alpine INE-W927HD. Killer unit. Killer features. Killer sound. This unit much faster than previous Kenwood units I used.

Scosche adapter kit makes everything flow seemlessly in cabin. Looks like factory install. Scosche could have done better to match panel colors but overall looks great. Because of this I can't do gage pod install now maybe by summer.

Startup sequence!

http://youtu.be/ZsX7H1JMbaI

Kolk1

How much would your buddy sell 2 more of those boxes for? Im currently using those same subs. But its winter, and cold, and im too lazy right now to build my own boxes. lol

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

BiGMaC

Quote from: SHOdded on December 22, 2013, 10:29:42 AM
Quote from: Dxlnt1 on December 22, 2013, 09:57:45 AM
Startup sequence!
Very clean sound :thumb:
Quote from: Kolk1 on December 22, 2013, 10:03:18 AM
How much would your buddy sell 2 more of those boxes for? Im currently using those same subs. But its winter, and cold, and im too lazy right now to build my own boxes. lol

Me2.... Did your installer keep a jig or plan?  I'd like to get 2 of these also!

Kolk1

Probably full fiberglass just layed out into the trunk. Not really much plans lol.