• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

SBS 2016 Taurus SHO Build Thread - LOCKED

Started by StealBlueSho, April 23, 2019, 08:59:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SM105K

Quote from: StealBlueSHO on May 03, 2019, 11:31:16 AM
I wonder how many eblended GDI motors have popped due to LSPI? Would be an interesting number...

I would say quite a few, because it is becoming more and more of a topic.

SBS, I dont want to clutter your post.  However, I know this is going to be seen a lot and I believe a lot of good information can be shared through your build.
"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

StealBlueSho

Quote from: SM105K on May 03, 2019, 11:57:13 AM
Quote from: StealBlueSHO on May 03, 2019, 11:31:16 AM
I wonder how many eblended GDI motors have popped due to LSPI? Would be an interesting number...

I would say quite a few, because it is becoming more and more of a topic.

SBS, I dont want to clutter your post.  However, I know this is going to be seen a lot and I believe a lot of good information can be shared through your build.

Oh I am not worried, I have always been a proponent of shared knowledge. Good discussions benefit all!

18SHO

Quote from: SM105K on May 03, 2019, 11:28:23 AM
I think only saying we should run Amsoil is silly.  There are numerous oils out there that have been tested that are just a good as Amsoil at half the price. 

From what I am seeing oil with a good synthetic base with (lower) sodium and calcium is the ticket.  Poor quality fuel, over fueling at idle, pro longed idle, and prolonged oil life also attribute to LPSI.  Good fuel, minimal pro longed idling, and frequent oil changes with a good oil (I change mine everything 3k mile) helps.  Also a good CC is recommended.

Lots of good info....

https://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,6256.30.html provided by Shodded.

Not saying Amsoil is the only oil to use there's others , but Amsoil had the most testing done and it protects 100% against LSPI , Direct injection and motor oil choice are crucial for life and longevity along with frequent oil changes. No long intervals.  Cost money to get it but cheap insurance to keep that motor putting the power and boost down to the ground. Other oil choices will specify for direct injection but no one has more testing then Amsoil. I could be wrong but I havnt see any other like it. I agree fuel quality can be an issue and idling for long time can be but you'll see some terrible knock readings .

https://www.amsoil.com/lander/new-amsoil-signature-series/
2018 SHO PP factory stock for now
AJPTURBO E30 tune stock plugs .028 gap
5.25.19 12.53 @ 112.96 1.85 60FT 1850 DA 71 F
Best trap 113.61

StealBlueSho

Update on the build...

"Final" tuning is all completed! Over the past couple days Matt has been working on tweaking the parameters in the tune to optimize the current setup since the Dyno was a base tune for the upgraded turbos. Not really adding additional power, but optimizing the current power production for sure. Runs phenomenal.

HUGE SHOUT OUT to Matt Robinson at Gearhead for spending the past couple nights going back forth with logs and tunes! If anyone knows a way to ship alcohol to TX, let me know!

Next will be a few runs at the track with datalogging to see if there are any additional areas for improvement. Until then, its just going to be enjoying this beast of a car.. and maybe putting a GH banner on it... maybe...

Funny... I was doing a multigear pull and I had no clue the Focus next to me was an ST.. nor that he was trying to run me, figured he was just cruising as he was so far behind.. guy pulls up next to me as I get off the highway and gives me a huge thumbs up...

SM105K

Quote from: 18SHO on May 03, 2019, 02:14:04 PM
Quote from: SM105K on May 03, 2019, 11:28:23 AM
I think only saying we should run Amsoil is silly.  There are numerous oils out there that have been tested that are just a good as Amsoil at half the price. 

From what I am seeing oil with a good synthetic base with (lower) sodium and calcium is the ticket.  Poor quality fuel, over fueling at idle, pro longed idle, and prolonged oil life also attribute to LPSI.  Good fuel, minimal pro longed idling, and frequent oil changes with a good oil (I change mine everything 3k mile) helps.  Also a good CC is recommended.

Lots of good info....

https://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,6256.30.html provided by Shodded.

Not saying Amsoil is the only oil to use there's others , but Amsoil had the most testing done and it protects 100% against LSPI , Direct injection and motor oil choice are crucial for life and longevity along with frequent oil changes. No long intervals.  Cost money to get it but cheap insurance to keep that motor putting the power and boost down to the ground. Other oil choices will specify for direct injection but no one has more testing then Amsoil. I could be wrong but I havnt see any other like it. I agree fuel quality can be an issue and idling for long time can be but you'll see some terrible knock readings .

https://www.amsoil.com/lander/new-amsoil-signature-series/

I get what you are saying 100 percent. 

However, who did the testing of Amsoil?  On the site it says:

3Based on independent testing of AMSOIL Signature Series 5w-30 motor oil in the LSPI engine test as required for the GM dexos 1® Gen 2 specification.

No where can I find that they linked the tester.  I have a problem with that.

In this document it shows the Amsoil is high in calcium...which is a no-no in the LSPI world.  It has the highest calcium of all tested. 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gEMTa3YOBIYBTYiaEhQLfooPohN_l645z1DaWRuFzC0/edit#gid=1618148264

I am personally switch to Castrol Edge.  Becasue it is low in calcuim and sodium. 

Shodded dropped bombs of info in this thread....

https://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,5981.msg133120.html#msg133120

Profound in that article was this statement which I copied in that thread....

https://www.enginelabs.com/engine-tech/oil-composition-direct-injection-low-speed-knock/

"It has nothing to do with the amount of oil in the combustion chamber, or if the engine is consuming oil or not. There's going to be oil in the upper ring zone in every properly lubricated engine. It's a question of whether the oil in the upper ring zone has a tendency to hold fuel, or not. If the fuel mixes with the oil, and the oil creates an emulsion, if you will, where it holds the fuel in the oil, that's where things can begin to go bad," says Speed.

Profound, and easily interpreted.

With so much info, what is correct?  Who is correct? 

"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

SM105K

Quote from: StealBlueSHO on May 03, 2019, 02:55:33 PM
Update on the build...

"Final" tuning is all completed! Over the past couple days Matt has been working on tweaking the parameters in the tune to optimize the current setup since the Dyno was a base tune for the upgraded turbos. Not really adding additional power, but optimizing the current power production for sure. Runs phenomenal.

HUGE SHOUT OUT to Matt Robinson at Gearhead for spending the past couple nights going back forth with logs and tunes! If anyone knows a way to ship alcohol to TX, let me know!

Next will be a few runs at the track with datalogging to see if there are any additional areas for improvement. Until then, its just going to be enjoying this beast of a car.. and maybe putting a GH banner on it... maybe...

Funny... I was doing a multigear pull and I had no clue the Focus next to me was an ST.. nor that he was trying to run me, figured he was just cruising as he was so far behind.. guy pulls up next to me as I get off the highway and gives me a huge thumbs up...

Nice, it is sounding like more and more the upgrades are worth it.

SHOdded

Quote from: SM105K on May 03, 2019, 03:07:08 PM
In this document it shows the Amsoil is high in calcium...which is a no-no in the LSPI world.  It has the highest calcium of all tested. 
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gEMTa3YOBIYBTYiaEhQLfooPohN_l645z1DaWRuFzC0/edit#gid=1618148264
That was an old Amsoil formulation, pre-Nov 2017 or so.  Just make sure if you are buying from a retailer, that the datestamp is Dec 2017 or better.  They do not code the datestamps so it is easy to tell.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SM105K

Quote from: SHOdded on May 03, 2019, 03:47:39 PM
Quote from: SM105K on May 03, 2019, 03:07:08 PM
That was an old Amsoil formulation, pre-Nov 2017 or so.  Just make sure if you are buying from a retailer, that the datestamp is Dec 2017 or better.  They do not code the datestamps so it is easy to tell.

You are the man when it comes to this.  Can you tell us who was the independent tester that Amsoil used and is claiming:

"Low-speed pre-ignition is the spontaneous ignition of the fuel/air mixture prior to spark-triggered ignition. This phenomenon is much more destructive than typical pre-ignition and has become one of the latest challenges to arise in today's advanced engines. Signature Series Synthetic Motor Oil has been armed with an advanced detergent system and achieved 100% protection against LSPI. "

Have they figured out a way to completely keep the fuel from emulsifying with the oil in the upper ring zone? 

StealBlueSho

All cleaned up and ready for the track!!!

SM105K

StealBlueSho

Quote from: SM105K on May 03, 2019, 05:38:18 PM
Quote from: StealBlueSHO on May 03, 2019, 05:37:55 PM

Tonight?

Negative.. mid may is when my preferred track is open for test and tune.

SM105K

Quote from: StealBlueSHO on May 03, 2019, 05:45:34 PM

Tonight?

I dislike get semi's for nothing....

StealBlueSho

Quote from: SM105K on May 03, 2019, 05:47:04 PM

Tonight?

You married?

SM105K

Quote from: StealBlueSHO on May 03, 2019, 05:51:09 PM

Tonight?

You married?

Separated....I know where you are going with this.....lol. 

StealBlueSho

Quote from: SM105K on May 03, 2019, 05:52:41 PM
Quote from: StealBlueSHO on May 03, 2019, 05:51:09 PM

Tonight?

You married?

Separated....I know where you are going with this.....lol.

That comment literally made me LOL.... cause yes..