• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

SBS 2016 Taurus SHO Build Thread - LOCKED

Started by StealBlueSho, April 23, 2019, 08:59:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StealBlueSho

So I might have told a lie... maybe a motor build might be in the near future... with a TC upgrade..

Getting quotes this week..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jordan

Quote from: StealBlueSHO on May 01, 2019, 08:44:58 PM
So I might have told a lie... maybe a motor build might be in the near future... with a TC upgrade..

Got an itch or a need?
World's Fastest SHO Ecoboost July 2019 - Current

2020 Power Numbers - 536AWHP/647Torque

802SHO

At least you're telling on yourself this time lol!  If I could I would!  Its going to be awesome not only with an upgraded motor to handle all the power you can throw at it which is wayyy better for longevity and overall reliability but we definitely all want to know what a well engineered upgraded tc can do!  I'm excited for the day when it comes! 
IG @802SHO 2010 SHO non PP, Tuned by AJP Turbo, 109 Octane + VP C85 for E30, Ported GH Gen 3 upgraded turbos, Ported 13+ Exhaust Manifolds, Custom FM IC TreadStone TR10C, EPP Hot Pipes, EPP Dual CAI, XDI35 HPFP, Deatschwerks 300C LPFP, Alky Control Methonal Injection, Alky dual nozzle upgrade, Zex Nitrous dual dry shots, Dicunzolo Gen2 torque mounts, MSD Coils, SP542 .026, 160 T, 3bar, Phenolic Spacer, Braille Lightweight Battery, Kirky Lightweight Racing Driver Seat, Catless Downpipes, custom stainless 2.5" double xpipe w/muffler deletes 4" quad tips, UPR Dual Valve Catch Can, 13+ PP Trans Cooler, Econoaid throttle Body Booster, Bravado Tribute 20x9.5 + 32 offset Wheels, Nitto NT555R Front Tires, Continental Extreme Contact DW Rear Tires and all are 275/35/20, H&R Springs all around w/rear cut 1/2", 1" hubcentric wheel spacers m14 1.5 stud/lug conversion, R1 Concepts Geomet slotted/drilled rotors with Heavy Duty Semi Metallic pads, Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge.
Currently World's Fastest Ecoboost SHO
11.063 @ 123.17 MPH!  NED 10/10/20

J-Will

That escalated fast

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

2014 Factory Order SHO (non pp) Deep Impact Blue
Gearhead Automotive Performance Tune
3-bar
SP-542 plugs w/ GH gap

StealBlueSho

Quote from: J-Will on May 02, 2019, 02:58:23 PM

That escalated fast

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Unfortunately with me that happens... I go from "I might do that..." to "Look at my new shiny parts!!"

StealBlueSho

So Matt and I have been working together the past couple days on some really neat stuff in the tuning department...

Pretty cutting edge I must say... the car pulls even harder through the gears than it did with the base tune...

Matt now has access to custom parameters that no one else does at this point based on his work with SCT.... just sayin....

Track in a couple weeks weather depending.

802SHO

Sick!  Awesome man GH has been extremely cutting edge as of late!  Always good when you come across the "Not ****ing around crew"!  Please go to the track now Sir the suspense is too intense!  That and BPD's whip is off the grid!  At area 51 or some $hit lol I can't sleep at night
IG @802SHO 2010 SHO non PP, Tuned by AJP Turbo, 109 Octane + VP C85 for E30, Ported GH Gen 3 upgraded turbos, Ported 13+ Exhaust Manifolds, Custom FM IC TreadStone TR10C, EPP Hot Pipes, EPP Dual CAI, XDI35 HPFP, Deatschwerks 300C LPFP, Alky Control Methonal Injection, Alky dual nozzle upgrade, Zex Nitrous dual dry shots, Dicunzolo Gen2 torque mounts, MSD Coils, SP542 .026, 160 T, 3bar, Phenolic Spacer, Braille Lightweight Battery, Kirky Lightweight Racing Driver Seat, Catless Downpipes, custom stainless 2.5" double xpipe w/muffler deletes 4" quad tips, UPR Dual Valve Catch Can, 13+ PP Trans Cooler, Econoaid throttle Body Booster, Bravado Tribute 20x9.5 + 32 offset Wheels, Nitto NT555R Front Tires, Continental Extreme Contact DW Rear Tires and all are 275/35/20, H&R Springs all around w/rear cut 1/2", 1" hubcentric wheel spacers m14 1.5 stud/lug conversion, R1 Concepts Geomet slotted/drilled rotors with Heavy Duty Semi Metallic pads, Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge.
Currently World's Fastest Ecoboost SHO
11.063 @ 123.17 MPH!  NED 10/10/20

ddlopes

First off your build is top notch. I think building the motor to support your power output is a very smart move. My car made 433hp and 513trq on the dyno. Later that day on my way home from the dyno I decide to goose the throttle going from 70 mph to 90ish. Shortly afterwards I heard a loud bang. Yup.... sent a rod threw the block. Now on the dyno it had zero knock. Meth tank was topped off just prior to being strapped on the dyno. At the time it blew up there was no knock. I say that because my aerospace gauges flash a red light when I get 1 degree of knock. When I got the car home I tested the meth system and it was working as it should. I'm not sure exactly what caused it but, I believe the stock rods aren't made to support the amount of power we wanna put on them. I know there's guys out there making big power with no issues but it may just not be there time yet. In my case I added approximately another 140hp and 240trq over a stock engine. That's asking a lot of the stock rods that aren't forged. Now lucky for me Ford replaced the motor and turbos. It wasn't easy but I got them to do it. I'm saving up now to upgrade the internals. I got a quote of around $7500... to bullet proof it. I wish you the best with your build. You'll definitely get 11's very soon... awesome build!!!
2013 SHO P/P mods: EcoPower Parts dual CAI, 3 bar, PPE catted down pipe, SCT X4, 170 degree thermostat, SNOW PERFORMANCE methanol stage 3 with ProMeth staineless steel braided lines, AeroForce gauges, Hot pipes, custom boost activated cutout xpipe, tial bov, Tial Wastegate mod, GH intercooler, MSD coils, AFE throttle spacer, UPR catch can, Rovos Durban wheels, AJP tuned to 389hp and 503trq on mustang dyno

SM105K

Quote from: 802SHO on May 03, 2019, 05:56:31 AM
Sick!  Awesome man GH has been extremely cutting edge as of late!  Always good when you come across the "Not ****ing around crew"!  Please go to the track now Sir the suspense is too intense!  That and BPD's whip is off the grid!  At area 51 or some $hit lol I can't sleep at night

I know what is going on with BPD's car......

SBS, yeah get to the CHOPPPAAAAAAA!  I mean..TTTRRRRAAAAACCCCKKKKKK!!!!
"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

SM105K

Quote from: ddlopes on May 03, 2019, 06:05:59 AM
First off your build is top notch. I think building the motor to support your power output is a very smart move. My car made 433hp and 513trq on the dyno. Later that day on my way home from the dyno I decide to goose the throttle going from 70 mph to 90ish. Shortly afterwards I heard a loud bang. Yup.... sent a rod threw the block. Now on the dyno it had zero knock. Meth tank was topped off just prior to being strapped on the dyno. At the time it blew up there was no knock. I say that because my aerospace gauges flash a red light when I get 1 degree of knock. When I got the car home I tested the meth system and it was working as it should. I'm not sure exactly what caused it but, I believe the stock rods aren't made to support the amount of power we wanna put on them. I know there's guys out there making big power with no issues but it may just not be there time yet. In my case I added approximately another 140hp and 240trq over a stock engine. That's asking a lot of the stock rods that aren't forged. Now lucky for me Ford replaced the motor and turbos. It wasn't easy but I got them to do it. I'm saving up now to upgrade the internals. I got a quote of around $7500... to bullet proof it. I wish you the best with your build. You'll definitely get 11's very soon... awesome build!!!

Trying to not go off topic....but you hucking a rod sounds like a catastrophic LSPI event.  More and more information is coming out that alcohol based fuels (including meth and pump) are shown to be suspect of these events.  There are articles posted by Shodded about this on this site.  This has lead me to step away from E30 and move to 100 octane Sunoco GT 260 for my fuel. 
"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

StealBlueSho

Quote from: SM105K on May 03, 2019, 08:56:55 AM

Trying to not go off topic....but you hucking a rod sounds like a catastrophic LSPI event.  More and more information is coming out that alcohol based fuels (including meth and pump) are shown to be suspect of these events.  There are articles posted by Shodded about this on this site.  This has lead me to step away from E30 and move to 100 octane Sunoco GT 260 for my fuel.

Interesting read... from my brief overview.. it appears that E30 is the best blend overall to prevent LSPI... once you approach E50 the risk of LSPI increases drastically.

https://ethanolrfa.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Literature-Review-of-Ethanol-Use-for-High-Octane-Fuels.pdf

SM105K

Quote from: StealBlueSHO on May 03, 2019, 10:07:32 AM

Interesting read... from my brief overview.. it appears that E30 is the best blend overall to prevent LSPI... once you approach E50 the risk of LSPI increases drastically.

https://ethanolrfa.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Literature-Review-of-Ethanol-Use-for-High-Octane-Fuels.pdf

This article says the opposite. The higher the ethanol content LSPI events decrease. I have copied and pasted the summary and conclusion below.  The way I know Ethanol works runs in line with the summary below.  So much in fact, I am willing to spend double the amount of money for a gallon of fuel.

https://www.thefreelibrary.com/Influence+of+Ethanol+Blends+on+Low+Speed+Pre-Ignition+in...-a0528616644

SUMMARY & CONCLUSIONS

This study analyzes the influence of ethanol fuel blends on low speed pre-ignition events in a direct-injection turbo charged gasoline engine with a homogeneous ([lambda] = 1) common rail high pressure injection system, side mounted multi-hole injectors and dual variable valve timing. The investigated blends include E10, E20, E30 and E50 fuels. The following conclusions can be derived from this study:

Ethanol content seems to impact the LSPI number significantly in this side injected GTDI engine. LSPI occurrence increases in this study up to the maximum tested level of 50% ethanol. However, the gradient of increase decreases with higher ethanol content. The reason for this behavior is believed to be a trade-off between the increased in-cylinder cooling at high ethanol rates versus the decreased evaporation of ethanol blends. The low vapor pressure of ethanol, the increased charge cooling and the higher amount of injected fuel at constant lambda could lead to increased wall impingement in this side injected DI engine. The higher wall impingement may then lead to higher local fuel dilution, a decrease in oil viscosity and surface tension that subsquently leads to more frequent oil/fuel droplets blown or thrown into the combustion chamber. The increased laminar flame speed of ethanol blends as well as their reduced ignition energy requirement will lead in addition to higher LSPI numbers. The crank angle resolved FFID measurements confirm this theory to an extent that the measurements can be utilized to predict severe pre-ignition events based on gaseous THC emission spikes during gas exchange. More work is needed to fully understand this phenomenon though.

LSPI cycles with higher ethanol content fuels show strongly reduced engine knock. This behavior is caused by the high octane rating of the high ethanol level blends. The result leads to the conclusion that the knock behavior after pre-ignition is comparable to conventional spark knock and strongly impacted by fuel characteristics. The pressure characteristics from the higher ethanol content fuels also indicate that pre-ignition by itself, albeit unfavorable for engine efficiency, may not be mechanically critical if no subsequent knock occurs.

When combining these two results, E20 and E30 ethanol blends have to be considered critical fuels regarding LSPI in this study. These ethanol blends seem to increase the overall LSPI number while not mitigating mega knock to the necessary extent. This results in both high LSPI numbers and a high number of violent knock events.

18SHO

Quote from: SM105K on May 03, 2019, 10:25:39 AM
Quote from: StealBlueSHO on May 03, 2019, 10:07:32 AM

This article says the opposite. The higher the ethanol content LSPI events decrease. I have copied and pasted the summary and conclusion below.  The way I know Ethanol works runs in line with the summary below.  So much in fact, I am willing to spend double the amount of money for a gallon of fuel.

https://www.thefreelibrary.com/Influence+of+Ethanol+Blends+on+Low+Speed+Pre-Ignition+in...-a0528616644

SUMMARY & CONCLUSIONS

This study analyzes the influence of ethanol fuel blends on low speed pre-ignition events in a direct-injection turbo charged gasoline engine with a homogeneous ([lambda] = 1) common rail high pressure injection system, side mounted multi-hole injectors and dual variable valve timing. The investigated blends include E10, E20, E30 and E50 fuels. The following conclusions can be derived from this study:

Ethanol content seems to impact the LSPI number significantly in this side injected GTDI engine. LSPI occurrence increases in this study up to the maximum tested level of 50% ethanol. However, the gradient of increase decreases with higher ethanol content. The reason for this behavior is believed to be a trade-off between the increased in-cylinder cooling at high ethanol rates versus the decreased evaporation of ethanol blends. The low vapor pressure of ethanol, the increased charge cooling and the higher amount of injected fuel at constant lambda could lead to increased wall impingement in this side injected DI engine. The higher wall impingement may then lead to higher local fuel dilution, a decrease in oil viscosity and surface tension that subsquently leads to more frequent oil/fuel droplets blown or thrown into the combustion chamber. The increased laminar flame speed of ethanol blends as well as their reduced ignition energy requirement will lead in addition to higher LSPI numbers. The crank angle resolved FFID measurements confirm this theory to an extent that the measurements can be utilized to predict severe pre-ignition events based on gaseous THC emission spikes during gas exchange. More work is needed to fully understand this phenomenon though.

LSPI cycles with higher ethanol content fuels show strongly reduced engine knock. This behavior is caused by the high octane rating of the high ethanol level blends. The result leads to the conclusion that the knock behavior after pre-ignition is comparable to conventional spark knock and strongly impacted by fuel characteristics. The pressure characteristics from the higher ethanol content fuels also indicate that pre-ignition by itself, albeit unfavorable for engine efficiency, may not be mechanically critical if no subsequent knock occurs.

When combining these two results, E20 and E30 ethanol blends have to be considered critical fuels regarding LSPI in this study. These ethanol blends seem to increase the overall LSPI number while not mitigating mega knock to the necessary extent. This results in both high LSPI numbers and a high number of violent knock events.

LSPI failures are based upon the root cause with the direct injection motors the engine oil . We all should be running Amsoil SS only in our cars because it's designed to prevent it from ever happening no matter the fuel . Wrong engine oil combined with wrong plugs causing combustion delay and ethanol content which needs higher amounts of fuel to create combustion compared to regular gas can cause this. Only run engine oil designed for direct injection. I've done plenty of research on this issue myself.
2018 SHO PP factory stock for now
AJPTURBO E30 tune stock plugs .028 gap
5.25.19 12.53 @ 112.96 1.85 60FT 1850 DA 71 F
Best trap 113.61

SM105K

I think only saying we should run Amsoil is silly.  There are numerous oils out there that have been tested that are just a good as Amsoil at half the price. 

From what I am seeing oil with a good synthetic base with (lower) sodium and calcium is the ticket.  Poor quality fuel, over fueling at idle, pro longed idle, and prolonged oil life also attribute to LPSI.  Good fuel, minimal pro longed idling, and frequent oil changes with a good oil (I change mine everything 3k mile) helps.  Also a good CC is recommended.

Lots of good info....

https://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,6256.30.html provided by Shodded.

StealBlueSho

I wonder how many eblended GDI motors have popped due to LSPI? Would be an interesting number...