• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

"Dimmer" wire for gauges?

Started by dalum, August 21, 2013, 04:05:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dalum

I've noticed that the interior lights don't actually dim (or illuminate) when the parking/head lights are switched on; yet seem to dim on their own when a sensor says its dark enough in the interior.  Has anyone found a wire that goes +12v when the interior dims?  What wire are people using for the gauges dimmer input and how does it behave (what does it goto +12 with, does it dim with the dimmer switch or is it constant +12 when on?)
2013 Non-PP SHO

crash712us

I don't believe anyone has every connected to dimmer switch, I know I never have just do to the lack of info of the cars wiring. Plus with 3 or 4 dimmer levels the switch has I knew there would be more to it then just tapping a wire at the switch.
I believe autometer does sell a stand alone dimmer if you feel the need to dim your gauges.

2011 tuxedo black non pp, LMS stage 5, Corsa cat back, LMS down pipes, Airaid, Alky control meth injection, Megan Racing coil overs, EBC rotor&pads, Mobsteel grill, 2013 trans cooler. 403whp 417wtq 12.25 @ 110

SHODYOU

I haven't done it on the taurus, but in a mustang tapping into the dimmer wire was super easy and it dimmed my autometers just like the stock gauges.  Worked great, autometers are bright and even dimmed they are still brighter, the trick would be finding a way to dim them independently of the factory stuff. Maybe thats what Crash is describing
2011 SHO - Tux Blk/blk int, 402B, acc, nav, multicontour, 20s. LMS 4X MyCal, 3bar MAP, K&N Typhoon, 170* t-stat, SP534's @ 30, Stainless Works catless DPs, Corsa catback, H&R sports, 5/16 front-7/16 rear spacer, 255/35 Hankook V12s, Lamin-X/PlastiDip

2004 Mustang GT - Comp Orange, Boss block/3.80 stroker 327", Foxlake TFS', Hellion turbo, blah blah

bpd1151

I can't seem to locate my damn product catalog from Autometer at the moment, however, Autometer does sell a device that will dim up to 6 gauges independently.

I would suggest either contacting Autometer directly, or perhaps visiting their website, and attempt to locate it on your own.

I'm getting ready to head into work shortly, therefore, no addt'l time to scour through all my catalogs and crap to find it.

But to reiterate, Autometer DOES make a dimming device.

dalum

Yea autometer has a pwm dimmer for their gauges I plan on using but I didn't want the backlight on at all unless the dash lights were in dimmed mode.  I also think it requires a full 12v as the input.  The only lights I can think of right now that come on when the dash dims are the lights for the stereo/ac touch buttons and the led lighting for cup holders and all that.
2013 Non-PP SHO

EcoPowerParts

I used the shifter light, super easy to get to

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 4

Mike B | info@ecopowerparts.com
www.ecopowerparts.com -
please use my website for any price quotes and to submit any orders.
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.
https://www.facebook.com/ecopowerparts

crash712us

Honestly I run my instrument cluster at full brightness, and my autometer gauges lights for and positive leads are all tied together and is tapped into fuse box to a non interrupting circuit when starting. The down side to this, to wiring this way my gauges do not come on until the car is started. But with autometers electric boost gauge it auto calibrates every time its turned on and it can't be interrupted when starting car or it calibration will be all out of wack. However as to there lighting, they don't appear to be any brighter then the rest of the cars gauges. Below is pic of my 2011 SHO fuse panel under dash this is the only fuse I found that isn't interrupted by the starter.

2011 tuxedo black non pp, LMS stage 5, Corsa cat back, LMS down pipes, Airaid, Alky control meth injection, Megan Racing coil overs, EBC rotor&pads, Mobsteel grill, 2013 trans cooler. 403whp 417wtq 12.25 @ 110

dalum

Sweet, so I'll check the shifter lights operation.  I forgot about the boost gauge's auto cal when its started I'm glad you mentioned that!  Does that wire go +12 with the "key" in "accessory" and stay on during retained accessory power?  I have volt, boost, and oil press gauges; I defiantly want that volt gauge on during accessory and during RAP until the door is opened or it times out.
2013 Non-PP SHO

dalum

I found the section in my workshop manual...

"Overview

Dimmable Backlighting

Dimmable illumination provides backlighting to certain switches and control components when the parking lamps are on. The level of backlighting intensity is adjusted by instrument panel dimmer switch.

Non-Dimmable Backlighting

Non-dimmable illumination provides backlighting to the door lock, roof opening panel and window control switches when the accessory relay is energized.

Dimmable Backlighting

The dimmable switches and components are illuminated when the parking lamps are on. The instrument panel dimmer switch controls all dimmable interior illuminated components. On vehicles equipped with autolamps, if the exterior lamps are activated during the daytime, the message center illumination remains at full intensity and does not dim from the instrument panel dimmer switch during this condition. If the vehicle travels under a bridge or a tunnel, the low level of ambient light causes the illumination level of the message center to change to the level set by the instrument panel dimmer switch. The message center illumination changes back to full intensity when the intense ambient light is restored.

When the parking lamps are on, the SCCM monitors the input from the instrument panel dimmer switch. The SCCM sends a message to the BCM over the HS-CAN relaying the instrument panel dimmer switch input. Based this message, the BCM sends a pulse-width modulated voltage to the dimmable switches.

The BCM also sends an illumination dimming level message over the network to control the backlighting intensity of networked modules. If a receiving module deems data received from the BCM invalid for 5 seconds or less, the receiving module defaults the backlighting to the last setting.

If the receiving module does not receive the illumination dimming level message from the BCM or if the data received is deemed invalid for more than 5 seconds, the receiving module sets a DTC in continuous memory and defaults the backlighting to full nighttime intensity.

Non-Dimmable Backlighting

When the accessory delay relay is energized, switched voltage is supplied to the window control, roof opening panel and door lock control switches.

"

2013 Non-PP SHO

crash712us

Quote from: dalum on August 22, 2013, 01:50:27 AM
Sweet, so I'll check the shifter lights operation.  I forgot about the boost gauge's auto cal when its started I'm glad you mentioned that!  Does that wire go +12 with the "key" in "accessory" and stay on during retained accessory power?  I have volt, boost, and oil press gauges; I defiantly want that volt gauge on during accessory and during RAP until the door is opened or it times out.
It only goes 12v once the car is started.