• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

The 3.5 has let me down a little bit.

Started by Vortech347, August 09, 2018, 05:36:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vortech347

Okay, so first before I stay negative things, there are some good things about this SHO I have liked.  The AC seats were nice when I had my fire jacket on.

Went to the track yesterday.  Last time I ran the SHO it was 2017 around the same month.  Temps were around 70* and it was at a night event.  The car ran 13.5@102mph. Yesterday..While in the tech line someone in an Explorer sport came and talked to me.  We chatted a few and it turns out (small world) we used to street race together about 18 years ago.  Funny how we end up in family cars but still haul ass.  Further conversation mentioned having 3 tunes available.  3 bar from xxx and 3 bar from yyy, and a 2 bar from xxx.

First pass of the day, I run a 14.4@96mph.  What in the ever lasting hell.  I even had Torco in the tank to hold off knock a little bit.  He comes back after his first run and was just as thrilled.  His sport was running 15.10@93.   He was like it runs this almost stock!  He ended up changing to all his different tunes and even doing a stock tune.  His times were from 14.98 to 15.3.  My car stayed 14.3-14.4 out of 7 passes.  It would come out 2.1 60's all 7 runs then fall on it's FACE in 3rd gear, down 1-3* of total timing.  Seriously, it felt NA or like my F-150 pulling a trailer.

Our ambient temps started at 98* and ended at around *85.  We only ran until the sun went down.  It was the last test and tune ever for this facility.

It's so frustrating how crippled these engines are in these conditions.  Sitting in the staging lanes the ambient temp getting sucked in was as high as 150*.  With the IC being sandwiched in soaking up the heat there's no hope.  Our track surface is usually around 145*  My buddies RS with front mount ran it's usual 12.5's without breaking a sweat.  It caused nothing but SS envy watching a completely stock 16' with manual trans running 13.20's.

P.S. Our air sucks.  Our calculated density is usually around 7600-8000ft.  Rumor has it a new drag facility will be built within the next 2 years.  Maybe I'll be able to get some more passes in before I move on to another daily driver. 

Matt H.
2013 SHO Performance Pack, Daily, AJPTurbo tuned
2003 SVT Cobra 497rwhp/491rwtq, Self tuned, Cruiser
1990 Mustang GT 570rwhp/530twtq, Self tuned, Open Track
2017 F150 XLT 5.0

SHOdded

Track conditions were just not favorable.  As it is, the needle sweeps visibly slower once you get past 60 mph.  Do you have logs to post?   Your sig only notes a tune, is that correct?  What were all the temps for powertrain fluids looking like and when were they last refreshed?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

shoNoff

I can attest to these cars not making any power in the heat. I ran my car last night in 88 degree air and humidity. The car was struggling to 13.0x @ 105.xx. This is after my retune and downpipe install. I too dumped some torco in and could only get the car to a 12.9x @ 106. My dads ecoboost mustang with a big intercooler was even 3/4mph slower last night. I was fully expecting 108+ last night. Your 60' seems terribly slow I'm usually in the 1.82-1.84 range but clearly your car wasn't making any power in that air. So that could kill the 60' easily being down on power. God 7600 feet hell may as well race on the moon. I'm at sea level here and like I said the heat ate the SHO alive last night. But I also have a front turbo near shitting itself so that could be hurting me as well
2013 SHO PP 12.51 @ 110.07 AJP tuned sold
2016 edge sport 13.92 @ 99.4 mph. slow and stock baby mobile

TopherSho

It's not the 3.5,  it's the Taurus engine layout.  Without cooling the intake with METH,  or going E30 (if the fuel pump pressure is 'ok') you are going to see much slower numbers once things get hotter.  Mine would loose as much as .4 tenths at PIR at 105f before i went meth. 

The engine is a stout mofo,  change turbos, HF-cats, 110 octane or meth spray and these engines make north of 700FTlbs easy.

Your 2.1 60' really says you have a elevation problem 1st,  and a tune/heat problem second. 

when i traveled to 4500ft elevation my tune from 200ft absolutely sucked. (not your fault AJP, roadtrip) so my spooling took MUCH longer to occur.   

Here is my thought and 2c.   if you live way up there at 6000+ feet,  you have a double wammy.  your thin on air to start with,  so spooling will be slower but when it gets hot, you go thinner on the air yet.  your engine control will pull butloads of timing to compensate for AFR and SAFETY.   

now one thing i will say,  Torco is a bad idea stop using that.  if you are tuned for 92 octane\93 octane you are tuned for a specific flame front.  adding a bunch of flame retardant will cause your fuel to burn SLOWER and reduce spark>TQ. 

I get adding to prevent knock,  but unless you run 2-3 runs and see +3 or more KNOCK on launch or in the run in multiple places,  you don't need fuel adders messing with your burn rates and slowing you down. 

all in all i think you ran slow because of thin air brought on by elevation AND heat,  and the Torco.

IF it were me,  i'd hit my tuner up for 2 pr three tunes at that elevation

-Under 80f tune
-over 80f tune
-winter tune,  at that elevation you get snow and ice and AWD cant stop 600lbfts TQ trying to kill you.

Regards!

2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

Vortech347

Just cruising around in traffic I'm at 3.99 knock. Haha. It's 100* today. Knock life for the win.  Just idling for 5 minutes while waiting for a client my IAT1 is 145 and IAT2 is 170.

Matt H.
2017 F150 XLT 5.0

TopherSho

Quote from: Vortech347 on August 09, 2018, 07:59:01 PM
Just cruising around in traffic I'm at 3.99 knock. Haha. It's 100* today. Knock life for the win.  Just idling for 5 minutes while waiting for a client my IAT1 is 145 and IAT2 is 170.

I would expect limited knock bopping around town, but knock at wide open throttle is an issue.  Do you have a SCT tuner?   Do a safe 0-90 run and log it.  Post it here.  Let's see if you have a tune issue.. or a spark plug fueling issue
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi

FoMoCoSHO

Right there is why open element filters are a terrible idea in these cars.

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: TopherSho on August 09, 2018, 08:16:04 PM

I would expect limited knock bopping around town, but knock at wide open throttle is an issue.  Do you have a SCT tuner?   Do a safe 0-90 run and log it.  Post it here.  Let's see if you have a tune issue.. or a spark plug fueling issue
Why would you think he has a tune issue?

He has a heat/elevation/pump gas issue.

TopherSho

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on August 09, 2018, 09:04:46 PM

If this is a generic tune and it was built under 1000ft and not updated to run at 6000+ ft elevation i would call it a tune issue.  Now.. not a 'omgwtfbbq' was someone thinking issue.. but a out of use range tune issue. 

I'm not dinging anyone's skills, no sir.  But after experiencing my own massive tune degradation at just 4500ft from 200ft ... I can see the possibility the tune is out of breath or element. 

A log would go a long way ..

EDIT: given the elevation tie in to my own observations i have a keen interest in the thread.

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: TopherSho on August 09, 2018, 09:44:07 PM

If this is a generic tune and it was built under 1000ft and not updated to run at 6000+ ft elevation i would call it a tune issue.  Now.. not a 'omgwtfbbq' was someone thinking issue.. but a out of use range tune issue. 

I'm not dinging anyone's skills, no sir.  But after experiencing my own massive tune degradation at just 4500ft from 200ft ... I can see the possibility the tune is out of breath or element. 

EDIT: given the elevation tie in to my own observations i have a keen interest in the thread.
Well Brad isn't known for generic tunes.

And yeah, his car can't breathe and its pulling a ton of spark with 170 IAT2

Add in less than optimal fuel and you will see KR...exactly what should happen.

Vortech347

It's not just the Taurus either.  I have friend's with X Sports and Flexes.  We've all called each other within the past few weeks asking "Does your car stop pulling in 3rd too?"

It's not the tune.  Brad has done all that he can to optimize.  I self tune my other two boosted cars using Advantage III and Binary Editor.  I 100% do not believe in any inadequacy on his end.  I'm running into mechanical restraints of sub part heat rejection and undersized turbo's when asking for more than stock effort.  I've referred him to other friends of mine so he's gathered up quite the experience with this crappy air.

Ford made these things to work "just enough" when they have to work hard to maintain stock power levels at high altitudes.  If you don't live in high elevation you won't get it.  Sub 2000ft when I have this car in Nevada or Cali it's a totally different machine.

FoMoCo.  My numbers given are with a stock airbox.  Fueling is fine.  I have a much lesser demand for fuel because of my altitude.  Correction factor here is around .15-.17.  Meaning my non corrected dyno numbers are 15-17% less than if I were at sea level.  If my fox TRUELY made 570rwhp uncorrected the stock block would be in two nice pieces.

Torco runs fantastic.  I've ran it in several high compression boosted cars with great results.  Our fuel here is 91. 

Also...I know I know...I'm bitching because I'm demanding more than it was "designed" to deal with.  It's probably just that I'm jealous that you SOB's are knocking out 12's on a tune only and I can't even get an effing 13 when it's hot outside.
Matt H.
2017 F150 XLT 5.0

TopherSho

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on August 09, 2018, 09:56:17 PM
Quote from: TopherSho on August 09, 2018, 09:44:07 PM

Well Brad isn't known for generic tunes.

And yeah, his car can't breathe and its pulling a ton of spark with 170 IAT2

Add in less than optimal fuel and you will see KR...exactly what should happen.

I'll say it again as in my previous post,  wasn't knocking the tuner.  Brad did my beast, and it ran 12.6's on old broken turbos and has been the best tune thus far at 0-500ft ELE.   I am thankful for his efforts and have paid him a few times over. 

But in such adverse DA as the OP when the temps go extreme the tune IMO likely needs to be logged again when it is running way lower on power and spooling so slow to take a look and adjust it,  or build a second tune for the environment.

If i had time to find a safe place to datalog Bend Oregon,  I would have had Brad spin me up a higher altitude tune because the car needed a adjustment.  it ran, but it was running way out of sorts..

Having played with high octane fuels on my current tune,  I still firmly believe going more than 2-3 points over your tunes octane curve/base/setting is going to hurt times.  going way over will be worse with the programming.    I'd focus on solving the Knock at WoT if there a bunch of it... but that's me

Cheers..

SHOdded

I was asking for a datalog just for my general knowledge if nothing else :)  This is how we all gain from each other's experiences, IMO.

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Vortech347

On the way home from the track I remembered I could load the CFG file he made for me and log it on the X4.  I took a log for a quick 2-3 pull.  You can see how long the car stays in 3rd gear.  So the massive temps from idling for 5 minutes aren't showing up.  Nor the 145* surface temp.   This is nothing though compared to the track.

I just want to make it perfectly clear that I'm extremely happy with Brad.  Everyone is so quick to blame the tuner.   He's probably seen enough so many of my fricken logs he needs a spare hard drive for them.
Matt H.
2017 F150 XLT 5.0

TopherSho

Quote from: Vortech347 on August 10, 2018, 12:07:14 PM
On the way home from the track I remembered I could load the CFG file he made for me and log it on the X4.  I took a log for a quick 2-3 pull.  You can see how long the car stays in 3rd gear.  So the massive temps from idling for 5 minutes aren't showing up.  Nor the 145* surface temp.   This is nothing though compared to the track.

I just want to make it perfectly clear that I'm extremely happy with Brad.  Everyone is so quick to blame the tuner.   He's probably seen enough so many of my fricken logs he needs a spare hard drive for them.

Wow ... that temp curve is pretty rough. 

Ok downshift,  and about 1 second later we have knock,  that drops spark to sub 6' degrees for almost a full second and drops the throttle for 2 full seconds from 45% to 60% then normal,  after that it builds spark back up to mid 11's,  but by the time it recovers we have 127f on IAT2 at time frame 302 and we loosing spark over time. 

Last time I checked every 10f over 100f the ecu will pull however much Brad has set to decrement for knock and safety...   1 second later (frame 303) you are at 132 and gain about 5 degrees f every second.

What I find curious is the increasing IAT2 with 71f ambient.  It is generating a TON of heat trying to push the turbos.. what PSI are you running?  You may see better benefit on a non meth tune by dropping psi in favor of spark gains.  Brad and i tested this back and forth at least 10 times in various experiments with lower boost settings,  we found my car ran the best on 14psi without meth .. 

When I ran without meth at near sea level i would not see that style of temp increase.  At PIR with 105 temps outside and 135f track temps i would drop 160-120 on the IAT2 on launch and climb back up.. but not at the rate you are. 

I would see if anyone else has tuned for that DA and look at thier logs to see if this is normal.