• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

General "Track" question

Started by sub_ETCS_ret, July 02, 2018, 09:05:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sub_ETCS_ret

We have a local dragstrip. I was interested in taking my car to the track for tuning. When I contacted them they said I had to move my battery to the trunk and extend my wheel studs.

Is this pretty standard? I don't really plan on tracking the car but they dont have alternate track time for the purpose of tuning street cars.

Sent from my VS500 using Tapatalk

15 SHO NonPP. 3bar map, OEM plugs gapped 0.030, AJPTurbo tuned.

Brucelinc

Never heard of such a thing for street cars.   It is common that the battery must be securely fastened down, and the tires must be in good shape.   At my tracks, that is about all the tech inspection that is required along with a Snell approved 2010 or later helmet.

sub_ETCS_ret

Quote from: Brucelinc on July 02, 2018, 09:40:54 AM
Never heard of such a thing for street cars.   It is common that the battery must be securely fastened down, and the tires must be in good shape.   At my tracks, that is about all the tech inspection that is required along with a Snell approved 2010 or later helmet.
They mentioned all the clothing and helmet requirements. I expected a helmet. I even explained to them what I was trying to do.

Sent from my VS500 using Tapatalk

StealBlueSho

Sounds like they didn't understand you were taking about a street cAr...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sub_ETCS_ret

Quote from: StealBlueSho on July 02, 2018, 12:05:58 PM

I would agree but I specifically told them it was a street car. When I replied that it was a daily driver she returned with "We are an NHRA sanctioned track so we follow their safety rules". Really bums me out. I watch everyone else talking about going down the track and I just wanted to go do a couple runs. I guess if I want to go bad enough.

derfdog15

Quote from: sub_ETCS_ret on July 02, 2018, 01:11:41 PM

I would agree but I specifically told them it was a street car. When I replied that it was a daily driver she returned with "We are an NHRA sanctioned track so we follow their safety rules". Really bums me out. I watch everyone else talking about going down the track and I just wanted to go do a couple runs. I guess if I want to go bad enough.

The NHRA rules DO NOT require a battery relocation, merely, they state that if one is done there are certain stipulations.

Along with that, longer wheel studs ARE NOT required, until you are facing issue of seating lug nuts, or running faster than IIRC 11.49 which a stock SHO won't do, and even a heavily modded SHO would have issue getting there.

Here is the rule book, in case you want to check on me

http://nhraracer.com/content/general.asp?articleid=47000
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

StealBlueSho

Exactly... I was about to post this! I run at NHRA sanctioned tracks often in my SHO... never had a problem.

sub_ETCS_ret

Quote from: derfdog15 on July 02, 2018, 01:19:06 PM
Quote from: sub_ETCS_ret on July 02, 2018, 01:11:41 PM

The NHRA rules DO NOT require a battery relocation, merely, they state that if one is done there are certain stipulations.

Along with that, longer wheel studs ARE NOT required, until you are facing issue of seating lug nuts, or running faster than IIRC 11.49 which a stock SHO won't do, and even a heavily modded SHO would have issue getting there.

Here is the rule book, in case you want to check on me

http://nhraracer.com/content/general.asp?articleid=47000

Thank you for the info. So it's very possible that the person who responded in the email doesn't actually know what they are talking about. It gives me hope that maybe it's just someone that answers email and the telephone that only knows part of the answer.

StealBlueSho

What's the name of the raceway?

sub_ETCS_ret

Bremerton Raceway. Bremerton Washington.

StealBlueSho

Quote from: sub_ETCS_ret on July 02, 2018, 01:26:53 PM
Bremerton Raceway. Bremerton Washington.

You can call them...

But I see Friday nights street legals and test/tune.... which means to me run what you brung.....

You should be fine... you show up in a Taurus I would be surprised if they do anything more than put a number on the windshield and tell you to have fun....

I've never had tech inspection ask me to do ANYTHING in with my Taurus... no popping the hood/trunk/doors etc.... they always smirk at me and give me that... "yeah ok" look...

sub_ETCS_ret

shoNoff

I've been racing at nhra tracks for almost 30 years in anything from a Jr. Dragster to an 8 second pinto. While those are indeed NHRA rules they do not apply to your SHO. Mostly what they will check on a street car is tires, battery hold down and neutral safety switch. Also as some have mentioned a snell 2010 helmet for running under 13.99. Once last thing to mention I see happen all the time in the summer you need to wear or bring pants. They will not allow you to run a car in shorts.
2013 SHO PP 12.51 @ 110.07 AJP tuned sold
2016 edge sport 13.92 @ 99.4 mph. slow and stock baby mobile

sub_ETCS_ret

Quote from: shoNoff on July 02, 2018, 01:39:50 PM
I've been racing at nhra tracks for almost 30 years in anything from a Jr. Dragster to an 8 second pinto. While those are indeed NHRA rules they do not apply to your SHO. Mostly what they will check on a street car is tires, battery hold down and neutral safety switch. Also as some have mentioned a snell 2010 helmet for running under 13.99. Once last thing to mention I see happen all the time in the summer you need to wear or bring pants. They will not allow you to run a car in shorts.

This is what they sent me -

Wear long pants, socks, shoes and a shirt with t-shirt length sleeves.

If you go quicker than 14 seconds in the ΒΌ mile, you must wear a Snell 2010 or Snell 2015 helmet.  DOT helmets are not allowed.

bamsho

They will be more pickie about your helmet than anything.  Ran into that issue at Maple Grove, that will be it.  They will do a general safety check, but dont fret.  Im sure the thought you had a race car.Go have fun.
2013 white Gen 5.  Gearhead Intercooler, Turbosmart wastegate actuators, Alky Controls meth kit, Livernois catted downpipes,  Livernois Corsa cat back black etched tips.  2016 True Street Champion.