• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Best Data Logging App for iPhone?

Started by arttyszka, August 14, 2013, 08:51:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arttyszka

Just like the title says.  Torque looks awesome, but alas, they don't make it for the iPhone.  Does anyone have an iPhone app that works well?

Thanks
Art
2014 Explorer Sport
Lund Tuned | 170 t-stat | K&N Panel | H&R Springs | Coolbulbs.com HID's

crashnburn

I currently use an iTsx with my iPhone. It's nice, but it doesn't come close to the Android torque application. You can only view about 20 different PIDS that are pre-determined by the iPhone app for the iTsx module. It does have the capability to record directly to your phone and email the export file if needed, but like I said before, you are limited to the PIDs it feels are necessary. The only way to perform a useful datalog with this device, is to use a laptop with the live link software. I will probably get something android that will run the torque app because it appears to be really useful for what we do.
2013 SHO PP, No Mods Yet...

dalum

I use dashcmd but I've been far to lazy to make my own gauges.
2013 Non-PP SHO

QwikSHO

anyone used the PLX Kiwi wifi deal?   I had a PLX wideband in my Evo and loved it.   Their app "Dash Command" looks pretty badass.

dalum

Quote from: QwikSHO on August 21, 2013, 05:03:38 PM
anyone used the PLX Kiwi wifi deal?   I had a PLX wideband in my Evo and loved it.   Their app "Dash Command" looks pretty badass.

Yea I have the kiwi wifi.  I haven't used it much since its a pita having the long cable on it.  I'm also not sure if it auto sleeps so I had to unplug it every time I used it.  I plan on getting the tiny bluetooth module that just stays on the obd2 port with no wires and using a nexus 7 tablet.
2013 Non-PP SHO

arttyszka

It's starting to seem that the best bet is to buy a cheap Android tablet and Torque . . .

Dash Command seems to be the most complete for the iPhone, but at $50 I'm not sure how it compares to Torque.
2014 Explorer Sport

Larrylu

Quote from: arttyszka on August 24, 2013, 02:22:59 PM
It's starting to seem that the best bet is to buy a cheap Android tablet and Torque . . .

Dash Command seems to be the most complete for the iPhone, but at $50 I'm not sure how it compares to Torque.

That is the same conclusion I came several months ago. I'm an iPhone/iPad guy, but using an android for a dedicated car tablet and running Torque Pro is working out just fine.
2010 Loaded, Non PP, Steel Blue Metallic, Livernois Stage 4+, Blacked out grill, Nexus 7 Tablet running Torque Pro

arttyszka

Larry, since I know nothing about Android tablets, what did you end up getting?

Thanks
Art
2014 Explorer Sport

DJE624

Nexus 7 is a good one but if you want to do Track Recording, use a Samsung Galaxy.  It has a front facing camera along with the rear facing one.  They can both be had for about $200.

Larrylu

Quote from: arttyszka on August 24, 2013, 05:15:26 PM
Larry, since I know nothing about Android tablets, what did you end up getting?

Thanks
Art

As I said i'm an iPad user so for me  as Dave has already mentioned I think the Nexus is pretty good for the money. Although it only has the camera facing you. There is a new version of the N7 that is just out. I don't know if that is still true. I would advise that you spring for the OBDLink MX Bluetooth dongle that feeds the data to Torque. I know you will hear that some cheap ones work good enough and maybe they do, but the cheap one I bought at first did not, and I want to leave mine plugged in to the port all the time, and the cheap ones advise you to unplug after use, and the MX says go ahead and leave it in.  The communication between the MX and the tablet is 4 times faster than the cheapies and I think it makes for smoother needle movement and more realistic no lag displays. Also the MX is encrypted in case some one was trying to hack you.  All in all I think the extra cost is well worth it. I've been happy with the MX and I'll bet Dave is too!
2010 Loaded, Non PP, Steel Blue Metallic, Livernois Stage 4+, Blacked out grill, Nexus 7 Tablet running Torque Pro

DJE624

Definitely Larry.  Very happy with the MX.

arttyszka

Thanks very much for the suggestions guys.  I guess the speed of the dingle makes a lot of sense that you want a faster one for accurate logging. 
2014 Explorer Sport

DJE624

dalum

The nexus7-2 is out and has a front facing camera, higher rez screen, better battery life, and is faster.  That's what I have.
2013 Non-PP SHO

pejohnson

So I have an Iphone through work and would prefer to find a data logger that is compatible but I see several people using the OBDLink MX Bluetooth with their Androids.  I may be able to get an old Android from work.  Would I need to have a data plan or could I just use the Bluetooth function to communicate back and forth with the OBDLink.  Also as far as transferring data, couldn't I just connect the Android to my computer and download that way?
13 Platinum White, PP, 402A, Moonroof, Multi-contour seats, and Navigation.  MODS - LMS 93 octane 3bar tune, 160 LMS thermostat, Airaid CAI, 15% tint, interior LED upgrade, LED puddle lights, Nurburgring 20" Gloss Black Powercoated Rims, H&R springs, Corsa catback exhaust, LMS catted downpipes

Best time 1/4 mile 12.588 sec @ 109.44 mph