• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

2015 Escape 1.6L loss of power

Started by pleasantd83, April 04, 2018, 12:13:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pleasantd83

Hello all!

My 2015 escape has had a noticeable loss of power, more so, at highway speeds especially when trying to pass another vehicle. Here is a list of symptoms and events of my troubleshooting journey so far:

1. Vehicle has 46k miles.
2. No present signs of rough idle or other symptoms outside of the turbo which is the prime suspect.
3. The lack of power is characteristic of not having a turbo. (i.e. the sharp gain in power, acceleration, etc.. of a turbocharged engine is absent).
4. I can hear the wastegate operate properly when I let off the accelerator underload and while idle in neutral.
5. I can NOT hear the "hiss" sound that I normally hear when the turbo is producing boost while accelerating.
6. My dealership's engine performance technician found the fuel injectors and turbo performance in "normal parameters" and their test drive did NOT seem abnormal.
7. I assume the technician ran a gambit of tests of which nothing was explained to me as abnormal or performing incorrectly.
8. The only modification this vehicle has is a drop in K&N filter which only has 10k miles and looks perfectly fine except there is 2 sq. inches of the filter that is significantly dirtier and that part of the filter is located around the "mouth" of the airbox air inlet.

Thank you for your time and help in advance!

SHOdded

With these smaller turbos, I have seen wastegate failure happen time and again, leading to a P0299 code eventually, or underboost condition.  That is my #1 suspect.

Sometimes hoses will pop off or crack at the clamps causing similar issues.

Some of these engines have problems with the coolant passages in the heads/microcracking, but as long as you are not seeing an overheat condition you should be ok,
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

TopherSho

Quote from: SHOdded on April 04, 2018, 02:14:50 PM
With these smaller turbos, I have seen wastegate failure happen time and again, leading to a P0299 code eventually, or underboost condition.  That is my #1 suspect.

Sometimes hoses will pop off or crack at the clamps causing similar issues.

Some of these engines have problems with the coolant passages in the heads/microcracking, but as long as you are not seeing an overheat condition you should be ok,

^^ agree.   you need to log the desired boost, actual boost, wastegate, intake temps, wastegate actation.. i know it only has 43k .. but have you checked a plug for wear/soot? 
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

pleasantd83

Both of you make good points! I used my OBD reader and had no posted or pending codes, but I definitely need to go check the plugs for wear and debris. I'll report later on anything I find from this. I'll call my friends who are working for another dealership for additional insight.

Many thanks!

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Brett D

I have the same issue.  Swapped a 85K 1.6 EB engine for a 25k engine, summer 2023.  I had to replace the head due to plugs stripping.  I optted for an engine replacement due to the "low" miles on the replacement engine.  Note, I couldnt get a sales receipt for the engine purchase from the mechanic....

The engine has less power when under load (1% grade or greater, passing, maintaining 2-3 or greater on cruise.)  Gas mileage is 7-8 mph down, on average.  Its been tested and looked at numerous times by the mechanic and also by a Ford dealer.  There are no codes and all say its normal and we cant reproduce the complaint.  My 18 year old daughter even picked up on these issues immediately. 

I have no ideas left.  New plaugs were put in.  Knock sensors changed being Ford somehow came up with a code for them.  I was told the turbo was tested, called for vs actual turbo readings, and said there would be a code if it was off.  All I can think of, is the existing turbo isnt performing as well as the prior turbo unit.    I still have the previous turbo unit.  There a lot of my time if I attempted to switch them just to test.

I am search for a needle from the haystack to make this car back to the way it was for her.