• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

quick PTU fluid change question

Started by 68_GT, January 22, 2018, 11:42:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

68_GT

so my 13 PP has 133K miles on it and new longblock about 6k miles now.

Still has original PTU oil. Have it at a shop right now who says he will change it.

When my longblock went in I had them extend the PTU vent hose up the firewall for a filler.

Can they just drain from the drain plug (exhaust need to come off?) and fill with the vent hose ?

How much fluid to go in and recommended brands / type ??

just paranoid and want to get this right !! I'm not sure if the oil can be overfilled or not or if they need to measure the amount of fluid coming out as I'm sure it will be in bad shape.....

thanks guys any help asap is appreciated as the car is on the rack right now.
2013 PP SHO LMS 93V10 tune, 170* T stat, 3bar, K&N drop in, plugs re-gapped, 4in exhaust tips.
UPDATE - 130K miles =blown engine. Unleashed tune and EBPP upgrade turbo billet wheels / Turbo Smart WGA's on a bran new long block. Let's get this SHO on the road !

2013 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB daily driver ;) - LMS 93 tune and CPE intercooler

FoMoCoSHO

I'm not at my laptop but somewhere on the board is the info directly from the manual.

FoMoCoSHO

Cole.C

Not sure if the Pi is the same as the regular sho but here's what the manual says
When I had my ptu changed had a new one ordered from Ford which came prefilled with fluid. Made them drain it  out and change the fluid I had brighten in which was 75w/140 synthetic  gear oil from amsoil which I added 25% of it was the synthetic oil stabilizer.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

irondoor19

We have been doing this since we added the Drain and
extended the PTU Vent. U really need a Bottle Pump to get it
in there, and must burp it Several Times, ALSO u must have
a Hose Clamp at the PTU, Or you risk Blowing the Hose Off

We also add 2 - 4 OZ to the Total 18 for Mess and loss (meaning
some may Stay in the vent Hose....Good Luck

Gear Oil Bottle Pump (from walmart or Amazon)
my computer is giving me fits Today with trying to copy links
2010 Lincoln MKS, BONE Stock for Now, 2014 3.7L Police, Drop IN K&N,

68_GT

I saw somewhere to fill until it overflows out the 2 wire heat sensor just above the drain plug.

Sound right ??
2013 PP SHO LMS 93V10 tune, 170* T stat, 3bar, K&N drop in, plugs re-gapped, 4in exhaust tips.
UPDATE - 130K miles =blown engine. Unleashed tune and EBPP upgrade turbo billet wheels / Turbo Smart WGA's on a bran new long block. Let's get this SHO on the road !

SHOdded

Is the sensor level with the fill plug?  Because the fill plug is the reference point for this.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

68_GT

Quote from: SHOdded on January 24, 2018, 07:51:30 PM
Is the sensor level with the fill plug?  Because the fill plug is the reference point for this.

well I don't think the PP PTU has an actual fill plug.

can the PTU be damaged from overfilling the gear oil level ?

SHOdded

The PP PTU has both a fill and a drain plug.  Overfilling and underfilling are both bad.  Underfilling - mostly foaming and inadequate lubrication.  Overfilling - takes up space needed for fluid expansion & contraction process.  A little bit either way wont hurt.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

68_GT

Quote from: SHOdded on January 24, 2018, 08:10:47 PM
The PP PTU has both a fill and a drain plug.  Overfilling and underfilling are both bad.  Underfilling - mostly foaming and inadequate lubrication.  Overfilling - takes up space needed for fluid expansion & contraction process.  A little bit either way wont hurt.
if the fluid in it is nasty I can't be 100% sure if all the fluid drains out so how do I know how much fluid to fill with ?

SHOdded

You have to play by ear, and you wouldn't be the first to do so :)  You fill till it just starts coming out the fill hole.  Done.  Since it is nasty, drain & fill after a short interval and measure how much comes out.  Keep doing it till the fluid that drains out looks like/almost like new.  I would not use the best brand during this process.  Use Motorcraft or SuperTech or whatever.  Final fill with Amsoil, Redline, Royal Purple, whatever floats your boat.