• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

New Intercooler for Transverse 3.5L Ecoboost

Started by mattr66, January 10, 2018, 02:28:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

802SHO

Quote from: 10bird on January 26, 2019, 01:47:26 PM
Does this intercooler make meth unnecessary?

The intercooler upgrade will increase power.  Meth increases power.  I have meth, I'll still get more hp and torque from upgrading my intercooler.  Without meth you'll get increased hp and torque.  If you upgrade your intercooler instead of doing meth injection ....youll enjoy similar performance benefits as meth but they don't equal eachother out.  Having both will make more power than going with one or the other only.  Less scientific explanation than most lol I'm sure someone can chime in. 
IG @802SHO 2010 SHO non PP, Tuned by AJP Turbo, 109 Octane + VP C85 for E30, Ported GH Gen 3 upgraded turbos, Ported 13+ Exhaust Manifolds, Custom FM IC TreadStone TR10C, EPP Hot Pipes, EPP Dual CAI, XDI35 HPFP, Deatschwerks 300C LPFP, Alky Control Methonal Injection, Alky dual nozzle upgrade, Zex Nitrous dual dry shots, Dicunzolo Gen2 torque mounts, MSD Coils, SP542 .026, 160 T, 3bar, Phenolic Spacer, Braille Lightweight Battery, Kirky Lightweight Racing Driver Seat, Catless Downpipes, custom stainless 2.5" double xpipe w/muffler deletes 4" quad tips, UPR Dual Valve Catch Can, 13+ PP Trans Cooler, Econoaid throttle Body Booster, Bravado Tribute 20x9.5 + 32 offset Wheels, Nitto NT555R Front Tires, Continental Extreme Contact DW Rear Tires and all are 275/35/20, H&R Springs all around w/rear cut 1/2", 1" hubcentric wheel spacers m14 1.5 stud/lug conversion, R1 Concepts Geomet slotted/drilled rotors with Heavy Duty Semi Metallic pads, Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge.
Currently World's Fastest Ecoboost SHO
11.063 @ 123.17 MPH!  NED 10/10/20

SHOdded

Methanol will still retain its' benefit of cleaning the back of the intake valves, and you will need a lot less for that sole purpose.  If you have a progressive controller and are tuned for it, you could vary its' contribution to power levels as well in high DA conditions.  Benefit to having both.  Together, a 1-2 punch IMHO.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

avidmotion

Squabbling over the price? No, i realize the time and cost of R&D and happy it is even done for our small close nit group of enthusiasts.  Get rid of my SHO is laughable in itself. Not going to hapen took me years to get. I had 90, and a 95 before this 2013, and got the PP for the extra coolers. In my situation i was referring to how long it will take me to save up to get and install the CAC. Not everyone has spendable fun money or a performance part budget. No one has to make fun of and insult those of us that has to research and plan to get either maintenance or power parts....
Sp542@.028, windstorm CAI, MSD coils, AO GH TUNE, GH intercooler, All Amsoil, General Gmax-rs summer tires, +PP, PP PADS,EDC rotors, Colinite 476s wax, used PPE DPs, Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete with custom X pipe, Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts|, 3 bar, stock thermostat,  TRACY LEWIS DESIGNED Team RXP, the Original oil separator.

ZSHO

FYI -There was no harm intended IMO and Let's keep our discussions grounded and straight to the point! TIA. Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SHOdded

Def no harm no foul.  Simply speaking to the tremendous bang for the buck this mod is.

Budgeting is part of everyone's process for things like this.  It IS hard to look at things happening, want those things to happen to YOUR vehicle, but have to defer or forgo it completely.  Many a time I have been in that boat, and I am sure many others have as well.  As they say, food, clothing, housing come first.  Paying bills can be a b****.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

AJP turbo

Quote from: 10bird on January 26, 2019, 01:47:26 PM
Does this intercooler make meth unnecessary?

No. But depends on your goals and use of the car. The intercooler won't add octane. But there are many benefits that you get besides octane. But the cooler temps afforded to you from the upgraded intercooler will give benefits without octane.

This intercooler will help people more than they realize. It's awesome. And I think the cost is reasonable to say the least. This wasn't your run of the mill intercooler development. Most cars have them right upfront in the grill. Ford blessed the SHO with having the intercooler buried.

This is going to help so much when the temps are hot.
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

Agentlongwood

Quote from: avidmotion on January 26, 2019, 06:18:14 PM
Not everyone has spendable fun money or a performance part budget.

This is me, lol.  I want the dang intercooler so dang bad... and the price seems right.  But man it's hard to get $850 Approved from the Willful Internal Finance Executive.
2014 Lincoln MKS - Sold... And I still miss it sometimes

bpd1151

Quote from: Agentlongwood on January 27, 2019, 10:33:40 PMBut man it's hard to get $850 Approved from the Willful Internal Finance Executive.

Ha! This made me chuckle.

Thus why y'all need to set aside some secret stash money for exactly these types of purchases.

I wish you and others good luck in those efforts.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Agentlongwood

Some day... I mean we don't keep secrets, but my "side money" is going to paying my student loans for the foreseeable future.   Sometimes we end up going overboard with the penny pinching, but she does keep me on the straight and narrow.  All things considered it's pretty good.  She's a keeper, lol. 
2014 Lincoln MKS - Sold... And I still miss it sometimes

StealBlueSho

Installed mine yesterday... thanks Jordan for the video!

Couple notes...

The fender lining on my SHO didn't have screws connecting to the bumper. It was 7/32 bolts. Yes, not metric... weird, curious if anyone runs into that?

My drain plug was on the passenger side of the radiator.

If you have a PP you need to remove the aux trans cooler to gain EASY access to the passenger side condenser bolt.

You can just remove the 5 plastic screws from the bottom splash guard connecting to the bumper lip. You don't need to remove the bottom lip as depicted in the video.

Don't forget to swap the metal screw clips from the old IC to the new one for the condenser.

I went through 1.5 Gallons of coolant.

IAT at the manifold has greatly been reduced. After sitting it doesn't take long afterwards to clear the hot air out. When driving in 60F temps I have yet to see anything over 100F. It seems to be happy 20F-30F above ambient when cruising  and doesn't heat soak (yet in my testing).

Will be interested in comparing logs between last year at the track and this year.

Like I told Matt... the added weight over the front tires might help at the track ;-)

Jordan

7/32 is about 5.5mm so could be either or. Drain plug is dependant on build date no clue where each cut off is. Matt said his was passenger as well, mine was driver. The aux cooler was definitely an after thought LOL. Nice you got it finished up.

On other news did an o2 sensor today in mine. Had one hitting the crapper.
World's Fastest SHO Ecoboost July 2019 - Current

2020 Power Numbers - 536AWHP/647Torque

SM105K

Just bit the bullet and purchased my intercooler. Going to throw her on the rollers next week to see what she does pre and post IC install.  430 hp and over 510 tq would be pretty damn cool. 
"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |

StealBlueSho

Quote from: Jordan on February 04, 2019, 09:57:19 PM
7/32 is about 5.5mm so could be either or. Drain plug is dependant on build date no clue where each cut off is. Matt said his was passenger as well, mine was driver. The aux cooler was definitely an after thought LOL. Nice you got it finished up.

On other news did an o2 sensor today in mine. Had one hitting the crapper.

7/32 fits like a glove. 5mm was too small and 6mm was too big. Trust me, when everything else on this car is metric I was a little surprised. I actually tried 2 different 5mm sockets just make sure I wasn't going crazy.

I wonder if any late MY 2016+ guys can confirm if theirs is the same. My build date is 11/2016.  If not, then I wonder if this car was in an accident.

802SHO

Quote from: sm105k on February 05, 2019, 08:20:39 AM
Just bit the bullet and purchased my intercooler. Going to throw her on the rollers next week to see what she does pre and post IC install.  430 hp and over 510 tq would be pretty damn cool.

I must be waiting for an engraved invitation lol I just want to complete my first year of the new business taxes before I make a move on it.  Look forward to your dyno results ....pretty cool youre doing that! 
IG @802SHO 2010 SHO non PP, Tuned by AJP Turbo, 109 Octane + VP C85 for E30, Ported GH Gen 3 upgraded turbos, Ported 13+ Exhaust Manifolds, Custom FM IC TreadStone TR10C, EPP Hot Pipes, EPP Dual CAI, XDI35 HPFP, Deatschwerks 300C LPFP, Alky Control Methonal Injection, Alky dual nozzle upgrade, Zex Nitrous dual dry shots, Dicunzolo Gen2 torque mounts, MSD Coils, SP542 .026, 160 T, 3bar, Phenolic Spacer, Braille Lightweight Battery, Kirky Lightweight Racing Driver Seat, Catless Downpipes, custom stainless 2.5" double xpipe w/muffler deletes 4" quad tips, UPR Dual Valve Catch Can, 13+ PP Trans Cooler, Econoaid throttle Body Booster, Bravado Tribute 20x9.5 + 32 offset Wheels, Nitto NT555R Front Tires, Continental Extreme Contact DW Rear Tires and all are 275/35/20, H&R Springs all around w/rear cut 1/2", 1" hubcentric wheel spacers m14 1.5 stud/lug conversion, R1 Concepts Geomet slotted/drilled rotors with Heavy Duty Semi Metallic pads, Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge.
Currently World's Fastest Ecoboost SHO
11.063 @ 123.17 MPH!  NED 10/10/20

SM105K

Quote from: 802SHO on February 05, 2019, 10:13:27 AM
Quote from: sm105k on February 05, 2019, 08:20:39 AM

I must be waiting for an engraved invitation lol I just want to complete my first year of the new business taxes before I make a move on it.  Look forward to your dyno results ....pretty cool youre doing that!

Yeah, I am pretty excited.  It will knock out two birds with one stone. I need the IC for the AZ heat, and I need to swap the coolant and throw in a new T-stat. 

I think with the IC, a new E30 tune for said intercooler, and DP's (later) the car will go into the 11's pretty consistently. I like to document changes with dyno and track results.  $120 for 3 pulls is a no brainer for the data.
"M" 2013 SHO PP | AJPTurbo E30 Tune | FS HPFP | Stock IC with Ice Water DIY Sprayer | PPE Downpipes | Custom Magnaflow Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete | Derale Upgraded Trans Cooler | Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts| EPP Noisemaker Eliminator | MSD Coil Over Plugs | SP-542's | UPR Dual Valve Catch Can | K&N Drop In | Power Stop Slotted and Drilled Rotors with Stock PP Pads | H&R Springs  | AVS Flush Deflector | 802SHO Custom Splitter | Duraflex Chin Spoiler | Curva Concept C7's | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber | 411 HP and 546 TQ |

"The Fukus" 2013 Focus ST | Boomba BOV | FSWerks Short Shifter | Power Stop Brakes | Continental DWS06 Extreme Contact Rubber |