• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

New Intercooler for Transverse 3.5L Ecoboost

Started by mattr66, January 10, 2018, 02:28:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colorado-SHOBro

i have a stock intercooler piece i can take measurements of if requested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
11' SHO Tuxedo Metallic black-non PP | Highly sophisticated high altitude custom AJP Turbo E30 3Bar tune w/Wastegate mod | Cat'd ceramic PPE downpipes |170 stat| SP542 plugs .028 | PP trans cooler | H&R springs | RX catch can

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

mattr66

I still have not received my second (improved) prototype..... It should be worth the wait and have another 2 psi of boost available on the stock turbos compared to V1 which already made 460Hp to the tires.

mattr66

Quote from: Agentlongwood on February 01, 2018, 09:18:31 PM
Well if all those numbers prove accurate, and the price stays the same, I would most likely be buying one as well.  Kind of mind blowing that the gains are so substantial just by switching to bar-and-plate, with the core going all the way to the end tanks.  If that's the case, couldn't you buy a bar-and-plate core in the proper dimensions.  Then get some end tanks from a junk yard and have them attached to the new core.  Or is this way more complicated than I'm making it sound?
Factory end tanks are plastic :(  V1 of the intercooler use an aftermarket intercooler and just replaced the core with a higher flowing one with more surface area... V2 has newly designed end tanks to flow more air and have a flange like stock for ease of installation.

djxfactor

Quote from: mattr66 on March 05, 2018, 11:36:54 PM
Quote from: Agentlongwood on February 01, 2018, 09:18:31 PM
Well if all those numbers prove accurate, and the price stays the same, I would most likely be buying one as well.  Kind of mind blowing that the gains are so substantial just by switching to bar-and-plate, with the core going all the way to the end tanks.  If that's the case, couldn't you buy a bar-and-plate core in the proper dimensions.  Then get some end tanks from a junk yard and have them attached to the new core.  Or is this way more complicated than I'm making it sound?
Factory end tanks are plastic :(  V1 of the intercooler use an aftermarket intercooler and just replaced the core with a higher flowing one with more surface area... V2 has newly designed end tanks to flow more air and have a flange like stock for ease of installation.

I'm waiting with baited breath for this to happen!!!
2014 Ford Flex Limited AWD EcoBoost - Full Amsoil Synthetic Fluids swap in engine and driveline, SCT X4 Tuner w/ multiple tunes for 93 + Meth, Dash-mount Tablet running Torque Pro Gauges w/ BT Wireless OBD Adapter, 170 T-stat, 3-Bar MAP sensor, Denso 1step Colder Spark Plugs, OBX Catless Downpipes, Magnaflow Downpipe-back 2.5" exhaust system, Magnaflow 2.5" X-Pipe, MDesign Carbon Direct Cold Air Intake (Latest Gen), UPR 3-way Catch Can System, Devil's Own Stage-2 3-Bar Methanol Injection System with custom Tank/Pump mount, EcoPowerParts Black powder-coated Charge Pipe kit, TIAL Q Race BOV in Ruby Red color-match, Power Stop Z23 Brake upgrade on all 4 corners with Drilled/Slotted Zinc Rotors and Carbon Fiber-infused Ceramic Pads with color-matched Ruby Red calipers, Moog upgraded Sway Bar Endlinks, lowered on Megan Racing EZ Street coilovers, SPC Rear Camber kit, Verde Axis V99 Bronze 20x9 wheels wrapped in 275/40 Nexens, Custom forged 4 1/2" spiked one-piece steel lugs, Kicker CompRT 12" Sub in custom spare tire-well box, Polk Audio Carbon C500.1 mono sub amp, All-Fit Front Lip Spoiler, 3D Carbon Rear Wing, Ruby Red vinyl wrapped interior trim, LED-lit "FLEX" Door Sills, Full LED Interior bulb swap, Red LED Accent lighting throughout, SpiderMax 3D Kagu black laser fit floor mats for all 3 rows, LED Puddle Light swap, Tinted LED Tails, Windows Tinted all around.

Macgyver

So if you had a 93 tune. 12.5 1/4 mile time HP area. What gains and such would you expect from this IC?

mattr66

depends on what IAT2 was doing down the track.... if you were at 175-180 after the 1/8th mile you would have at 2-3 tenths and 3-4 mph of mph gain after the intercooler.

SHOdded

Any updates as to when the intercooler will be released, Matt?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

J-Will

Quote from: SHOdded on June 26, 2018, 12:03:22 PM
Any updates as to when the intercooler will be released, Matt?
We were all thinking it

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

2014 Factory Order SHO (non pp) Deep Impact Blue
Gearhead Automotive Performance Tune
3-bar
SP-542 plugs w/ GH gap

bamsho

Holy crap, who is seeing IAT2 temps that high.  I've never seen temps that high in either the 2012 and 2013 cars.  That is even before running meth.
2013 white Gen 5.  Gearhead Intercooler, Turbosmart wastegate actuators, Alky Controls meth kit, Livernois catted downpipes,  Livernois Corsa cat back black etched tips.  2016 True Street Champion.

TopherSho

That is exceptionally warm after a run.  I have seen mine hit 170 in the lane,  but at the end of a run I was normally at 110/120 on a 105f day with 125f pavement temps according to the laser
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

Macgyver

Quote from: Macgyver on March 06, 2018, 09:38:20 PM
So if you had a 93 tune. 12.5 1/4 mile time HP area. What gains and such would you expect from this IC?

I never said anything about IATs. I just asked a simple question. What will this add to the performance of a 12.5 second car.

Agentlongwood

Quote from: Macgyver on June 26, 2018, 08:08:53 PM
Quote from: Macgyver on March 06, 2018, 09:38:20 PM

I never said anything about IATs. I just asked a simple question. What will this add to the performance of a 12.5 second car.

They heard ya.  They were just letting you know that it's not a simple "X" amount of performance to be gained.  How much you gain depends on a few factors, and one of them is Intake Air Temp.  If you are running 12.5 and your IATs are super low, then an intercooler may not add much.  If you're running 12.5 with very high IATs then an improved intercooler will add much more performance.  So it depends on your individual case.  If you have some data-logs or even just a few data points handy, I'm sure the guys can give you a much more specific expectation with this intercooler.
2014 Lincoln MKS - Sold... And I still miss it sometimes

Macgyver

TopherSho

Yup on the source temp being relevant to gains. 

Idle the car on black pavement for 5 minutes then launch hard from 1800-2000 rpm a d run from 0-110 while data logging spark1 spark2 knock, iat2, speed, rpm and time.. we can make a pretty good guess from there.
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi

TopherSho