• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

H&R Spring Installation

Started by ClearwaterSHO, January 04, 2018, 04:38:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClearwaterSHO

Hello, everyone!

I purchased some H&R springs for the 13 SHO. I called a place to see how much they would be to install and they told me 300-400 dollars. That isn't including the alignment after. Usually, I don't mess with suspension because I don't like the headache, but for $400 I can handle the headache. My question is are there any specialty tools I need to get before I start this task? I have a shop, lift, etc, so that isn't an issue. Anything I should look out for when I'm doing this? I already purchased SP# bolts that the back needs to be aligned properly. Looking at the rear sheets that are posted in the sticky in this subtopic, back looks easy. I'm not sure about the front, as I haven't looked at it really.
2013 NON-PP SHO Tuxedo Black
Unleashed 3 Bar Tune -12.865 @ 106.5
AJP POWERED Tune - 12.59 @ 108.?

Mods: GH Intercooler, E30 Tune by AJPTurbo, SW Catless DP's, H&R Springs, MSD Coils (Is this a mod?)

SHOdded

Ford made the front suspension a lot easier to work on with the 2013 redesign.  Pretty sure there is a note or two in the HOWTO section about that ...  I think crash712us maybe?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ClearwaterSHO

Quote from: SHOdded on January 04, 2018, 05:37:31 PM
Ford made the front suspension a lot easier to work on with the 2013 redesign.  Pretty sure there is a note or two in the HOWTO section about that ...  I think crash712us maybe?

I looked through the "How-To" but didn't see anything for the front suspension. I have the FSM and looking at it, doesn't look difficult at all. I'll let you guys know after I put them in on how difficult I think it is. I'm not a professional Tech or anything, but I went to school to be a tech and decided it wasn't the career for me.

Mods: GH Intercooler, E30 Tune by AJPTurbo, SW Catless DP's, H&R Springs, MSD Coils (Is this a mod?)

ZSHO

That's not a bad price number IMHO! The rear suspension was fairly easy and straight forward but found the front suspension to be more labor extensive and time consuming which took roughly five hours for the complete install including a four wheel alignment! 
I would say a $400.00 price point would be a fair assessment for the complete install plus wheel alignment! 
FYI -learned the hard way but give it a few hundred miles for the suspension to settle,break in period! 
Best of luck!  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

ClearwaterSHO

Quote from: ZSHO on January 04, 2018, 07:17:08 PM
That's not a bad price number IMHO! The rear suspension was fairly easy and straight forward but found the front suspension to be more labor extensive and time consuming which took roughly five hours for the complete install including a four wheel alignment! 
I would say a $400.00 price point would be a fair assessment for the complete install plus wheel alignment! 
FYI -learned the hard way but give it a few hundred miles for the suspension to settle,break in period! 
Best of luck!  Z

Yea, he was quoting me $400 just to install, that isn't including the alignment. It would be closer to $500-$550 out the door. I feel comfortable doing it myself. Worst comes to worst, I mess it up and I pay someone to fix it, rofl. I'm pretty confident and the guy helping me is an ASE Master Tech. I'm sure we will be fine. I'm just lazy. The same guy that quoted me only charged me 100 bucks to replace my control arms and stabilizer end links. Wish I would have had the springs then and just had him do it all then. Guess he didn't like working on the SHO, lol.

ZSHO

Quote from: ClearwaterSHO on January 04, 2018, 07:59:02 PM
Quote from: ZSHO on January 04, 2018, 07:17:08 PM
Best of luck!  Z

Yea, he was quoting me $400 just to install, that isn't including the alignment. It would be closer to $500-$550 out the door. I feel comfortable doing it myself. Worst comes to worst, I mess it up and I pay someone to fix it, rofl. I'm pretty confident and the guy helping me is an ASE Master Tech. I'm sure we will be fine. I'm just lazy. The same guy that quoted me only charged me 100 bucks to replace my control arms and stabilizer end links. Wish I would have had the springs then and just had him do it all then. Guess he didn't like working on the SHO, lol.
True! since the front suspension was already apart would find it easier the 2nd time around.  Z  :)

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

ClearwaterSHO

Took the car up there today with some printouts from my repair manual. He looked at the car and said, "Oh, that's not bad at all. $250 with alignment out the door." I said sold, sign me up for the next available slot. So the Boat gets her springs on Tuesday. Now, should I wait for them to settle before I hit the track? I see you guys say that they need to settle. Does that mean that they will get lower as time goes on? I'm mainly just wanting to make sure that AJPTurbo POWA gets to the ground.

derfdog15

Quote from: ClearwaterSHO on January 05, 2018, 12:05:18 PM
Took the car up there today with some printouts from my repair manual. He looked at the car and said, "Oh, that's not bad at all. $250 with alignment out the door." I said sold, sign me up for the next available slot. So the Boat gets her springs on Tuesday. Now, should I wait for them to settle before I hit the track? I see you guys say that they need to settle. Does that mean that they will get lower as time goes on? I'm mainly just wanting to make sure that AJPTurbo POWA gets to the ground.

The springs will settle, and the car will end up a bit lower after some miles are put on. The ride will get a bit better as well once they settle.
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

ZSHO

Agreed with derfdog ^^^ I would say for optimum performance give them some time to break/settle in period similar to having new brakes or tires installed! 
In my case had new Struts/Shocks/Springs installed which later was told to give them a few hundred miles to adjust accordingly as mentioned above which ultimately landed me an overall PB-of 1.752 - 60' time! Z    :drive:

ClearwaterSHO

The guy from the shop called me and said that he thinks the front will need camber bolts as well. I've read about the back, were there any issues with the front camber?

ZSHO

Quote from: ClearwaterSHO on January 09, 2018, 09:55:48 AM
The guy from the shop called me and said that he thinks the front will need camber bolts as well. I've read about the back, were there any issues with the front camber?
The front on my 13-PP DID NOT need camber bolts and only the rear!
Im hoping the price quote does not change as well! 
Here's my very own thread below with alignment specs and all!  Z

https://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,8310.0.html

ClearwaterSHO

Quote from: ZSHO on January 09, 2018, 10:24:47 AM
Quote from: ClearwaterSHO on January 09, 2018, 09:55:48 AM
The front on my 13-PP DID NOT need camber bolts and only the rear!
Im hoping the price quote does not change as well! 
Here's my very own thread below with alignment specs and all!  Z

https://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,8310.0.html

I have read your post. I can't thank you enough Z. I really appreciate all of your help and advice. I told them that he shouldn't need it, so he was going to talk to his alignment guy. I know the person working on my car. He's an acquaintance of mine. I'll call him and let him know.

ZSHO

I'm hoping the alignment guy knows what he is doing! 
What type of alignment machine?  Hunter is one of the best IIRC! Best of luck and keep us updated!   Z  :)

ClearwaterSHO

Quote from: ZSHO on January 09, 2018, 10:49:25 AM
I'm hoping the alignment guy knows what he is doing! 
What type of alignment machine?  Hunter is one of the best IIRC! Best of luck and keep us updated!   Z  :)

Haha, I hope it's a Hunter. My brother works for Hunter.

derfdog15

Hunter Road Force or don't touch my car ;P
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car