• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Getting LMS tune for my SHO, unless someone convinces me otherwise?

Started by sk0pe, January 04, 2018, 10:59:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sk0pe

Just wanted to give everyone the opportunity to change my mind before I go ahead and order the tune and parts from LMS. Seems like there's a divided opinion on this forum about which tune is the best.

I will be running 93 octane, and want good performance without over-stressing the car. It is my daily driver and I want it to last. It's a 2014 with 25k miles on it. I'm in Minnesota where the weather is frigid and cold half the year.

Thanks everyone and I'll update with my first impressions after I get the tune!

J-Will

how to you expect anyone to convince you how to spend your money?

I think what you're really after is validation to prevent buyer's remorse... LMS is great, you'll be happy with them
2014 Factory Order SHO (non pp) Deep Impact Blue
Gearhead Automotive Performance Tune
3-bar
SP-542 plugs w/ GH gap

AJP turbo

I will post at lunch time and maybe give you an insightful nugget
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

BoostfoSHO

I vote for AJP Turbo ftw.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

AJPTurbo FTW
2015 SHO PP
Air raid intake, 3bar, OBX catless downpipes, 160tstat 2. Electric exhaust cutouts, MSD ignition coil, hot pipes with Tial BOV, AJP Turbo wastegate regulator mod.
For now...
Pending install. Snow stage

sk0pe

Quote from: J-Will on January 04, 2018, 11:11:32 AM
how to you expect anyone to convince you how to spend your money?

I think what you're really after is validation to prevent buyer's remorse... LMS is great, you'll be happy with them

Because I trust the opinions of people who own vehicles with the various tunes I have been shopping for. It's not about buyers remorse, it's about making the most informed decision. So far LMS has looked like the best option, but I know there are plenty of other people here who believe otherwise. I just want to hear their opinions first.

Brucelinc

I won't try to change your mind on anything but I will ask you a three questions.   How involved do you want to be in the tuning process?  How much do you want to know about the specifics of your tune?  Are you more interested in a plug & play tune or would you prefer to have a tune tailored to your specific car based on information provided to the tuner through datalogging?

Oh...one piece of advice:   Don't do anything until you hear the nugget from AJP turbo.

J-Will

I think LMS is top notch, reputable and a pioneer for the platform.

The only reason I chose not to buy into their ecosystem is because the tuning hardware was built in-house and proprietary to them.  I think of it as the Apply ecosystem- sure its great... until you dont want, or would like something else that their vertical supply chain does not offer.  So "I'm a PC" which allows me to pick and choose my components, in this case tuners.
2014 Factory Order SHO (non pp) Deep Impact Blue
Gearhead Automotive Performance Tune
3-bar
SP-542 plugs w/ GH gap

SHOdded

The only drawback (if this is one) to going the LME route is the tuning device is proprietary.  So if you choose to move away from LME, you have to buy an SCT or HP Tuners etc device instead.  Although the resale market for LME devices is pretty good.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

AJP turbo

Bruce pretty much summed it up. And you can't really go wrong with SCT.

Some people enjoy being part of the tuning process...Some people want to push a little harder. Some want to request  additional things to a tune to suit their taste.

Sometimes customers want to know what is going on and tuners often don't like to reveal exactly what they are doing. But many details actually can be discussed with out actually telling you exactly how things are achieved.

You can even have a mild "custom tune" if you requested such from tuner.

If you ever think you will be interested in seeing good data from your car then LMS may not be the best idea as there is no good datalogging software available to you
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

ZSHO

Welcome ScOpe! I think a good place to start is by setting up an intro .TIA. Z

https://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/board,14.0.html

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Heelfan1

I have both a explorer sport and SHO tuned by Livernois and combined over 85K miles between them. To date no issues and they run strong. Personally I don't track the cars or constantly race them but if I did and were looking for every last HP then I feel  data logging is the way to go. Personally they are just daily drivers that are a blast to drive and occasionally hurt the feelings of the unsuspected mustang or Camaro.

As stated earlier it all depends on what your looking for and what you intend to do. There are plenty of reputable tuners out there it will come down to your needs and confidence level after you have researched the companies.
2013 SHO non PP LMS Tuned, 160ts, 3 Bar, CAI, DP's
2013 EX Sport, LMS Tuned, 160ts,3 Bar, CAI
2018 Raptor H.O. Ecoboost LMS Tuned
2011 F150 Harley Edition 6.2 AWD(sold)
Whipple SC, JDM Tuned 600+ hp

Livernois Motorsports

We have an amazing tune for your vehicle and are experts when it comes to the taurus sho, we have a very safe tune that still pulls great power and we can even make minor adjustments to the tune at no cost as well and we also offer lifetime support for the original vehicle of purchase with the device!

ClearwaterSHO

Like people have said. If you don't care about data logging and knowing exactly what's going on with the car, LMS all day every day. They are safe, easy, and from I've seen, reliable. Now, if you want to know what's going on with the car. You want to be able to datalog the car and see what is happening, AJPTurbo is the only way to go. He is the Wizard, the Man, the Legend. Also, he's a cool dude to talk to.
2013 NON-PP SHO Tuxedo Black
Unleashed 3 Bar Tune -12.865 @ 106.5
AJP POWERED Tune - 12.59 @ 108.?

Mods: GH Intercooler, E30 Tune by AJPTurbo, SW Catless DP's, H&R Springs, MSD Coils (Is this a mod?)

sk0pe

Thank you all for the input!  This is my first time getting involved in any kind of tuning, so I think the best place for me to start is with a plug and play type of system and working from there if I ever want to delve into it further. I will probably stick with the original plan of going with LMS.

I'll definitely be lurking around this forum to keep up to date with everything, and I'll update after I'm all tuned up!

Thanks again, everyone!

Livernois Motorsports

Sounds great buddy, feel free to give us a call anytime and ill be glad to help you out! 313-561-5500 extension 104 or ask for cody!