• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

No heat at idle when warming up.

Started by SilvererSHO, December 15, 2017, 07:48:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SilvererSHO

I'm assuming the heater core draws coolant after it goes through the turbos and that's why you get heat in only a couple of minutes on our Ecoboosts?  Over the past week I've noticed that I get heat if the engine is revving above about 1200 or so RPM but then if I'm stopped at a light it blows cold while idling.  I take off from the light and I again have warm air blowing after 2-3 seconds.  I've put it in neutral at the light and revved it up slightly and get heat too.  It only does this when the engine isn't fully warmed up and it seems like it acts normal after (I assume) the thermostat starts opening up.  Is this normal?  If so, what is causing this?  Coolant level is fine.  Could add 8-10 ounces is all.
All Silver(er)SHO.  2012, every option with PP running new Firehawk Indy 500's.

markssho

Quote from: SilvererSHO on December 15, 2017, 07:48:53 PM
I'm assuming the heater core draws coolant after it goes through the turbos and that's why you get heat in only a couple of minutes on our Ecoboosts?  Over the past week I've noticed that I get heat if the engine is revving above about 1200 or so RPM but then if I'm stopped at a light it blows cold while idling.  I take off from the light and I again have warm air blowing after 2-3 seconds.  I've put it in neutral at the light and revved it up slightly and get heat too.  It only does this when the engine isn't fully warmed up and it seems like it acts normal after (I assume) the thermostat starts opening up.  Is this normal?  If so, what is causing this?  Coolant level is fine.  Could add 8-10 ounces is all.
Lots of threads about this, common issue. Just top off the antifreeze level. Fill it slightly above the full mark.

Sent from my XT1094 using Tapatalk

2010 Taurus SHO, Cinnamon, 402B, ACC

ncole

Quote from: markssho on December 15, 2017, 10:16:59 PM
Lots of threads about this, common issue. Just top off the antifreeze level. Fill it slightly above the full mark.

I also don't really get good heat blowing when I remote start and let it warm up. I am wondering if an odd phenomenon  I noticed this weekend could be attributed to needing coolant added as well.  I have a 160° T-stat.  In the summer, it would run upper 170's on the interstate cruising.  Now, it runs upper 180's on the interstate.  However, I ran the car in fourth gear on the interstate and it immediately drops the coolant level to the upper 170's.  Put it  back in 6th and it goes right back up.  I assumed that is because the pump is simply turning more revolutions and able to pump fresh coolant faster to keep up, even though I am creating more heat energy.  I can't imagine the design calls for 4000 rpm in order for the coolant system to keep up.  Could this be solved by topping it off?  I did just have the coolant system flushed and filled by a Ford dealer (it was running this warm before they worked on it, and I never tried that little experiment) Or, is this a sign of some future failure in the water pump.  The dealer knowing I had the 160° T-stat of course says to replace with OEM and see, surely that's the problem.  I don't think so, but it could be?
2011 black on black SHO.  MDesign CAI, Livernois 93 Stage 4 Plus X RACE 3BAR (running some E85 in to boost octane), 160° Thermostat, Livernois gapped plugs, 3 bar MAP

TSS

Quote from: markssho on December 15, 2017, 10:16:59 PM

You beat me to it! Yeah you would be surprised how coolant being just a little bit low can affect things like that in these cars.
2010 Steel Blue Metallic MKS Ecoboost: LME 3-Bar Tuned; tint; 20" Factory rims Permachromed

2017 Summit White Buick Envision Premium AWD 2.0 Turbo
2017 Silver Cadillac XTS V-Sport Platinum  3.6 Twin Turbo; LME tuned.

ZSHO

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SilvererSHO

Well adding about a pint did the trick.  Anyone know why being just a bit low causes this?  Weird....
All Silver(er)SHO.  2012, every option with PP running new Firehawk Indy 500's.

TopherSho

Quote from: ZSHO on December 18, 2017, 04:55:07 PM
Agreed! I have always added a bit of extra coolant for good measures preferably right above the TOP FILL LINE right before a cold morning startup.

Climate and Coolant mixture for reference!  Z

http://www.fortau.com/engine_coolant_check-163.html

http://www.motorcraft.com/servlet/BlobServer/engine-cooling-system-chart.pdf?
blobtable=DFYBlob&blobheader=application/pdf&blobwhere=1249081817307&blobcol=urlblob&blobkey=id

https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/Main/quickref/coolantsEN.pdf

Z is right on,  I also found that bleeding it over the span of a week also helps.

when you park it for the night or long term park it on a ramp or good incline so the bottle is elevated equal to or above the block.  Then wait about 15 minutes and pop the hood and barely crack the water cap... juuuust enough until it hisses.  then close it back up.

rinse repeat.  it will slowly dray any air in the system out over time.
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

SHOdded

Been a long time since this thread was updated, but there is a good reason to do so now :)

Over on shoforum, they have had situations where there is low heat at low rpm but full heat when the engine is revved.
https://shoforum.com/index.php?threads/heat-goes-down-at-red-light.140327/
Thank you to shokev for making the YT video on this topic.

Why would topping off coolant make sense?

Because ... a hose is actually leaking!  That's right, a radiator hose leak has caused the low heat issue.  May not be the case for everyone, but worth a check.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!