• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Facebook Tuning. Yes reading required.

Started by Macgyver, October 29, 2017, 01:19:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Macgyver

Facebook Ecoboost Enthusiast.

Watching the Eagles. I saw Todd Weaver comment on something and it looked weird.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1576220475987660/permalink/1987064161569954/?comment_id=1987773544832349&reply_comment_id=1987829374826766&notif_id=1509296812149469&notif_t=group_comment_reply

Matt Robinson You guys need to try Gearhead. Kind of a hybrid between full custom and canned because of the self-learning characteristics of the tune. You can also run any octane you want and the tune will adjust on the 13+ vehicles. The auto octane stuff doesn't exist on the 12 and earlier vehicles:(.
Like · Reply · 3 · 2 hrs · Edited
Remove
Hide 29 Replies
James Laskey
James Laskey I didn't really know if you wanted it to be out that you are starting to tune for 10-12 or not? I have dropped a couple hints and people figured it out. I can't wait until we get it dialed in. You 10-12 guys are going to love this tune!
Like · Reply · 2 hrs
Remove
Todd C. Weaver
Todd C. Weaver I don't understand that statement... these cars only pull timing and close throttle...they are not flex fuel
Like · Reply · 2 hrs
Remove
Matt Robinson
Matt Robinson Todd C. Weaver on the 13+ cars there is extra logic for auto octane tuning.
Like · Reply · 2 hrs
Remove
Todd C. Weaver
Todd C. Weaver Will that work for running corn?
Been trying to figure that out and how to plug into pro efi 48 to control Top injectors...weather changes boost and last time I was at track with e98 and ran lean...if I could get car to adjust automatically I would be...See More
Like · Reply · 2 hrs
Remove
Matt Robinson
Matt Robinson Theoretically I could bias the range of octane learning translation to boost, but I haven't played with putting the flex fuel stuff in there yet to take care of the timing and fuel trims.
Like · Reply · 2 hrs
Remove
Matt Robinson
Matt Robinson Pm me, Todd C. Weaver maybe I can help with dialing in the pro efi stuff.
Like · Reply · 2 hrs
Remove
Robert Stevens
Robert Stevens According to other tuners. Unleashed. BCB. Livernois AJP. There is not any auto octane. The car advances timing till it sees KR. Its always looking for KR. So adding say an E30 blend will give you more power because the engine has no knock compared to 93 and will advance the timing accordingly til it sees KR. Not sure how much more spark but it will have more.
Like · Reply · 23 mins
Manage
Matt Robinson
Matt Robinson Robert Stevens they do not understand the 13+ logic then... I'm not going to spell it out for them if they haven't figured it out because it is a competitive advantage for me.
Like · Reply · 21 mins · Edited
Remove
Robert Stevens
Robert Stevens These guys Tune for a living so you are saying they dont know the SHO 3.5TT and all its capabilities ?
Like · Reply · 13 mins
Manage
Matt Robinson
Matt Robinson Ask AJPturbo who I am what I know about these platforms.
Like · Reply · 12 mins
Remove
Robert Stevens
Robert Stevens And why doesnt Brad. use "Your" tuning capability?
Like · Reply · 11 mins · Edited
Manage
Robert Stevens
Robert Stevens Not gonna spell it out meaning it doesnt exist.
Like · Reply · 9 mins
Manage
Matt Robinson
Matt Robinson Everyone has their own flavor of ways to do stuff. I set out from the beginning to develop "set it and forget it" tuning so the customer doesn't have to worry about datalogging every time they take a trip and can't find premium fuel.
Like · Reply · 1 · 8 mins
Remove
Todd C. Weaver
Todd C. Weaver Play nice boys....here yo discus n help each other
Like · Reply · 8 mins
Remove
Robert Stevens
Robert Stevens The car will auto adjust on its own right now. I can put E30 in and get increased performance.
Like · Reply · 7 mins
Manage
Matt Robinson
Matt Robinson Robert Stevens you tell me how my tuning runs 10 psi on 87 octane and up to 16 on premium without changing the tune then?
Like · Reply · 7 mins
Remove
Robert Stevens
Robert Stevens Why would you run 87?
Its prolly this with 93...See More

How to Install JMS BoostMAX Ecoboost Performance Booster on...
AMERICANMUSCLE.COM
Like · Reply · Remove Preview · 6 mins
Manage
Matt Robinson
Matt Robinson Robert Stevens all in the tune, nothing external needed
Like · Reply · 5 mins
Remove
Robert Stevens
Robert Stevens I can do what you are saying with the above.
Like · Reply · 4 mins
Manage
Robert Stevens
Robert Stevens No tune needed
Like · Reply · 4 mins
Manage
Matt Robinson
Matt Robinson What is your point? I'm telling you my tune varies boost mapping according to octane.
Like · Reply · 3 mins · Edited
Remove
Robert Stevens
Robert Stevens So?
Like · Reply · 3 mins
Manage
Matt Robinson
Matt Robinson That's the automatic octane feature....
Like · Reply · 2 mins
Remove
Robert Stevens
Robert Stevens The car cannot sense Octane with out an Octane sensor. This platform does not have an octane sensor.
Like · Reply · 2 mins
Manage
Matt Robinson
Matt Robinson No kidding.....
Like · Reply · 2 mins
Remove
Matt Robinson
Matt Robinson Never said it did....
Like · Reply · 1 min
Remove
Robert Stevens
Robert Stevens Smoke and Mirrors.......
Like · Reply · Just now
Manage
Robert Stevens
Robert Stevens Good luck with your endeavor.
Like · Reply · Just now
Manage
Matt Robinson
Matt Robinson I use the built in octane logic much like how the flex fuel works on Fords without an ethanol sensor...

J-Will

I dont think I understand the point of posting this. 

The Gearhead tune does sound pretty good though.  I've seen a few things posted about it. 
2014 Factory Order SHO (non pp) Deep Impact Blue
Gearhead Automotive Performance Tune
3-bar
SP-542 plugs w/ GH gap

ZSHO

X2 Agreed with J-Will!  The link alone would of have been satisfactory. IMO. TIA.  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: ZSHO on October 29, 2017, 02:12:12 PM
X2 Agreed with J-Will!  The link alone would of have been satisfactory. IMO. TIA.  Z
Well some of us don't dance with the devil... (facebook)

AJP turbo

Matt Robinson of Gearhead is an innovative, experienced and knowledgeable calibrator well versed in MANY platforms. I know him somewhat personally. Often there are many different types of logic that can be utilized within a calibration and controller that are not used from the factory.

You CAN trust anything that comes from Gearhead automotive.

The flex fuel logic is inferred with the ecoboost stuff so there is no need for an alcohol sensor.

As he has said there are many different flavors and methods for tuning a car and basically every tuner chooses a different path.

Matt of Gearhead is on a very short list of tuners that I would personally allow to tune my car.

I don't recall saying there is no auto octane capability.

Drama drama drama.....
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

Macgyver

Not drama. I dont trust people coming on FB and posting their stuff does this and that then contradict themselves while doing it. Too many scams out there.

As long as you are ok with it. Awesome.

He could have explained himself a lot better without divulging any of his "Secrets" .

And No a link would not have been all that was needed as explained above. Everyone does not Facebook.

StealBlueSho

Interesting "read"..... auto adjusting trims for different fuel types...  but only on the 2013+...

Sounds cool...

AJP turbo

Quote from: StealBlueSho on October 29, 2017, 03:57:39 PM
Interesting "read"..... auto adjusting trims for different fuel types...  but only on the 2013+...

Sounds cool...

It is cool...Fuel trim adjustment and boost adjustment
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

StealBlueSho

Quote from: AJP turbo on October 29, 2017, 04:07:14 PM
Quote from: StealBlueSho on October 29, 2017, 03:57:39 PM

Sounds cool...

It is cool...Fuel trim adjustment and boost adjustment

That would be really fun with the newer HPFP...  depending on your E85 blend the more power you make...

Us 2010-2012 guys are really falling behind!

Colorado-SHOBro

i've conversed with matt about a few different things and he seems very knowledgeable and a good guy to work with.
since my tuning needs are covered with AJP i'm more excited that matt is working to give us more bolt on upgrades. he has already developed upgraded turbos that don't totally outdue the factory fuel system and he should have a intercooler upgrade available sometime this winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
11' SHO Tuxedo Metallic black-non PP | Highly sophisticated high altitude custom AJP Turbo E30 3Bar tune w/Wastegate mod | Cat'd ceramic PPE downpipes |170 stat| SP542 plugs .028 | PP trans cooler | H&R springs | RX catch can

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

J-Will

Also it looks like gearhead offers the best price on gapped plugs.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2014 Factory Order SHO (non pp) Deep Impact Blue
Gearhead Automotive Performance Tune
3-bar
SP-542 plugs w/ GH gap

SHOdded

Automatic octane tuning is hardly the cat's meow. What is the big deal?  Ford has implemented it on flex fuel AND non-flex fuel vehicles for some time now, perhaps in a limited fashion, but it is there.  Think about it ... why does using 93 instead of 87 on a stock SHO make a difference?  That same difference is palpable on the 2011+ Edge as well because guess what.  FORD HAS TUNED FOR IT FROM THE FACTORY.  Holy smokes!  Who knew Ford could do that?  LOL!

Now, the problem comes about using different types of fuel to achieve that octane.  Does the PCM have logic to be able to interpret and deduce that it is running so much gasoline and so much alcohol?  That may be the secret Gearhead/Matt is referring to.  FoMoCo had posted a document some time ago stating that Ford claims the fuel system components to be E85 "compatible".  Maybe they have an "egg" in the PCM logic as well.

Parts upgrades are generally an area where you might keep caveat emptor in the back of your minds.  Seen too many vendors promise & not back up their claims.

As far as the link to FB, I m on FB out of necessity, and I don't want to have to join yet another group.  So, it is good to have the info available directly, but it was a PITA trying to read it on a mobile device, as the formatting sucks.  Still interesting info.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

dubcitySHO

2018 Magnetic Metallic F-150 XLT FX4 SCrew, 20% 3M Tint, Currently researching reputable F-150 tuners....

StealBlueSho

Quote from: SHOdded on October 30, 2017, 02:34:22 AM
Automatic octane tuning is hardly the cat's meow. What is the big deal?  Ford has implemented it on flex fuel AND non-flex fuel vehicles for some time now, perhaps in a limited fashion, but it is there.  Think about it ... why does using 93 instead of 87 on a stock SHO make a difference?  That same difference is palpable on the 2011+ Edge as well because guess what.  FORD HAS TUNED FOR IT FROM THE FACTORY.  Holy smokes!  Who knew Ford could do that?  LOL!

Now, the problem comes about using different types of fuel to achieve that octane.  Does the PCM have logic to be able to interpret and deduce that it is running so much gasoline and so much alcohol?  That may be the secret Gearhead/Matt is referring to.  FoMoCo had posted a document some time ago stating that Ford claims the fuel system components to be E85 "compatible".  Maybe they have an "egg" in the PCM logic as well.

Parts upgrades are generally an area where you might keep caveat emptor in the back of your minds.  Seen too many vendors promise & not back up their claims.

As far as the link to FB, I m on FB out of necessity, and I don't want to have to join yet another group.  So, it is good to have the info available directly, but it was a PITA trying to read it on a mobile device, as the formatting sucks.  Still interesting info.

Yea, thats what OAR is for right? Its limited to spark advance.. in other words.. as the OAR goes lower, your spark gets more advanced. I think they have found away to add boost to that mixture too.. which is neat.. and if it can scale past 93 octane would be cool.

SHOdded

That's the hope!  As for effects on durability/longevity, only time will tell.  The closest thing I have seen done so far is Diablo's switching tunes on the fly, but this is WAY more than that.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!