• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Why am I getting part throttle knock - datalog attached

Started by Gray Brick, October 26, 2017, 11:36:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gray Brick

Getting part more part throttle knock every day.
Occasionally it hits 6+ with very light throttle. 

What gives?

Any help appreciated... datalog attached.

2013 Ecoboost Ford Flex
AJP Tune (ATP+2) in progress , Livernois HPFP, 3 Bar MAP, UPR Catch Can, 100% Methanol w/ braided steel lines, 3" Downpipes -->2.5" X-pipe --> 2.5" Magnaflow exhaust, 2.5" air inlets to each turbo with cone filter, Custom water to air intercooler with chiller
275/40-20 Front 315/35-20 Rear Tires
---12.419ET/112.43MPH @ 5150 lbs in the 1/4---

SHOdded

Without looking at the datalog, seems the knock has been an issue before?  And the methanol is spraying correctly?  Do you have warranty on the Flex?  I sincerely hope it is not an engine issue, but that's what it might boil down to.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

boostedflex

Can Torrie do anything adjustment wise?  I was obsessive about knock and probably drove him absolutely nuts until I got it down to near nothing.
2017 Explorer Sport
Stock

2012 Flex, sold
Unleashed 93 tune, 170 degree t-stat, Airaid intake, Motorcraft SP534 plugs

Gray Brick

No warranty 120k miles.

Occasionally I would get +1 to +2 knock on light load up hills.

Full throttle no knock.
2013 Ecoboost Ford Flex
AJP Tune (ATP+2) in progress , Livernois HPFP, 3 Bar MAP, UPR Catch Can, 100% Methanol w/ braided steel lines, 3" Downpipes -->2.5" X-pipe --> 2.5" Magnaflow exhaust, 2.5" air inlets to each turbo with cone filter, Custom water to air intercooler with chiller

polskifacet

I get part throttle knock too. I'm not too confident of the accuracy. knock in boost is bad. knock on part throttle, meh.
AEM Dryflo drop in. PP Transmission Cooler and thermostat. 160 tstat, 3 bar map, plugs, AJP 93 Tune, PP Shocks and Springs

StealBlueSho

I think for a lot of us it's the influx of winter gas. I saw +3 at part throttle on my previous tank of gas... this current tank I threw in a few gallons of e85 and the part throttle Kr is gone completely. With the latest tweaks from Brad im gonna run this meth tune permanently. Not sure what to do with this MyCalibrator....

Gray Brick

I'll throw some methanol in the tank and see if it goes away.
2013 Ecoboost Ford Flex

polskifacet

Quote from: StealBlueSho on October 27, 2017, 09:30:35 PM
I think for a lot of us it's the influx of winter gas. I saw +3 at part throttle on my previous tank of gas... this current tank I threw in a few gallons of e85 and the part throttle Kr is gone completely. With the latest tweaks from Brad im gonna run this meth tune permanently. Not sure what to do with this MyCalibrator....
sell that garbage :p
AEM Dryflo drop in. PP Transmission Cooler and thermostat. 160 tstat, 3 bar map, plugs, AJP 93 Tune, PP Shocks and Springs

StealBlueSho

Quote from: polskifacet on October 28, 2017, 01:04:06 AM

It's not garbage... probably keep it for a bit and see if LMS is going to release an updated meth tune for the 2010-2012 MYs...

I am not even sure how much they sell for used.. probably $200 or so...

ZSHO

Quote from: StealBlueSho on October 28, 2017, 01:09:48 PM

It's not garbage... probably keep it for a bit and see if LMS is going to release an updated meth tune for the 2010-2012 MYs...

X2 Keep it !! FYI- That so-called garbage will sell within 24hrs!!!!!!  I will see what I can do for ya! It pays to be Nice!   LMK
Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

AJP turbo

Just a quick look. But I think you are only boosting at WOT to around 14-15 psi but I'd have to convert it because you boost units are in absolute PSI I think. And you are showing about 30psi. But you are commanding WAY more than that so that's weird and your wastegate duty is plenty high..I think you are commanding near 20 psi.

You didn't log OAR and you might want to. That would give you an indication if you have bad gas or your spark tuning is over advanced.

This can be hard for you to diagnose. Let's assume the fuel is good. There are many ways your tuner can adjust the spark...He could be adding spark globally across the board and that would affect spark everywhere.

If the spark at part throttle is stock then fuel could be to blame.

Something is strange though because usually at part throttle the stock spark tuning is conservative and you will see the knock sensor adding spark 9 of 10 times
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

StealBlueSho

Quote from: ZSHO on October 28, 2017, 01:28:00 PM
Quote from: StealBlueSho on October 28, 2017, 01:09:48 PM

X2 Keep it !! FYI- That so-called garbage will sell within 24hrs!!!!!!  I will see what I can do for ya! It pays to be Nice!   LMK
Z

No need, to be sure, my emails to them have been professional. I have been nice for the most the part. And I have had lots of contact with Anthony (and others from the sales team). I honestly believe they had issues with the true stage 5 Meth Tune and rolled back to the 4+X Alky tune which is the same spark and boost as their non meth tune.. And my guess is that it's a 2010-2012 issue where they only feel comfortable turning it up for meth on the dyno. Unfortunately I do not have another $400 plus travel expenses to go that route.

I do appreciate the offer!

polskifacet

I sold mine for $150 and haven't looked back. It's absolutely epic to be able to email your tuner and make the adjustments YOU want.

Gray Brick

I was thinking it could have been oil contamination but I changed my plugs and they look good.  Very even from cylinder to cylinder.

Intercooler was not excessively filled with junk either.

Waiting for the talk to be a little lower to throw a bit of meth in to see if I am subject to winter gas.
2013 Ecoboost Ford Flex

StealBlueSho

Quote from: Gray Brick on October 29, 2017, 12:42:56 PM
I was thinking it could have been oil contamination but I changed my plugs and they look good.  Very even from cylinder to cylinder.

Intercooler was not excessively filled with junk either.

Waiting for the talk to be a little lower to throw a bit of meth in to see if I am subject to winter gas.

A couple gallons of E85 should help.