• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Got burnt....

Started by SilvererSHO, October 26, 2017, 09:31:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SilvererSHO

On a rim deal.  Picked up a set of four steelies off of a 2016? Police Explorer at a salvage yard about an hour away from me.  Evidently, they cross reference.  I gave him $300+tax for them assuming at least 3 out of 4 TPMS doohickies would work for me.  Guess what, none of them do.  They wont work for my 2012 Taurus SHO and they want $60 a pop for them at the tire shop I already dropped my rims off at.  I guess I should have done my homework.  The guy made a point of telling me two times that "they're not under warranty but should work" so methinks he knew they wouldn't work.  I din't even haggle on the price with him over the phone or in person.
A$$hole.... I took them to another place and we'll see what happens tomorrow.  Hopefully they don't test them.  I'm mounting them on the car myself.
All Silver(er)SHO.  2012, every option with PP running new Firehawk Indy 500's.

SHOdded

They are different?  Not just a matter of retraining them to your SHO? Hmmmmm ...

Z has posted this numerous times, but here is a set of OEM TPMS sensors that should work with your SHO, IF you need them
DE8T-1A180-AA

Typically under $50 for Amazon or eBay, yes, for the entire set of 4, NOT each.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SilvererSHO

Quote from: SHOdded on October 26, 2017, 10:49:20 PM
They are different?  Not just a matter of retraining them to your SHO? Hmmmmm ...

Z has posted this numerous times, but here is a set of OEM TPMS sensors that should work with your SHO, IF you need them
DE8T-1A180-AA

Typically under $50 for Amazon or eBay, yes, for the entire set of 4, NOT each.

QuoteThey are different?  Not just a matter of retraining them to your SHO? Hmmmmm ...

That's what I was told by the guy at Discount Tire.  But then again he was trying to sell me them for $60 a piece.  Maybe they can be, I don't know.  Does anyone know if you can?

derfdog15

I would talk to a ford dealer. Unless the swap from band style TPMS to non band was later than I thought, and fell between 2012 and 2016 theres no reason you shouldnt be able to reprogram them to work.

If you need to buy sensors, buy them from the link posted by SHOdded or similar. Don't pay the crazy markup. Same goes if you have to change tires and need valve stem replacements, buy them in bulk OR go to a good local shop, dont pay crazy money pe
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

bpd1151

Banded style TPMS prominent on all 2010's from the factory.

They started switching over to valve stem style TPMS a few months into the 2011 production run(s). At which time the banded one's were discontinued from there after.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

derfdog15

Quote from: bpd1151 on October 27, 2017, 02:34:36 PM
Banded style TPMS prominent on all 2010's from the factory.

They started switching over to valve stem style TPMS a few months into the 2011 production run(s). At which time the banded one's were discontinued from there after.

Thanks BPD! I probably should have worded my response better, ill edit it, as I knew the early SHOs had band style TPMS but didnt think 2012 or 2016 had bands!
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

bpd1151

Nah. No worries. No need to edit my friend.

Y'all never believe wtf I paid for, direct from Ford (even with my discount) when I picked up my TSW's back in 2011, and found out the hard way, when I accidentally bought the valve stem style TPMS Sensors (which never were able to be programmed) and then had to return those, only to be forced to pick up the banded styles one's.

Nearly $500 at that time! I almost $h!t a brick & was so F'n p!$$3d off it wasn't even funny.

That put a dent in the mod fund that year. All so I didn't have to see that idiot light on the dash.

Ggggrrrrrrrr. Still a lil salty about it to this day. Oh well.

SHOdded

The 2016 police explorer tpms has a different part number.  May be configurable for your 2012 using forscan, but IDK.

1 https://parts.levittownfordparts.com/auto-parts/2012/ford/taurus/sho-trim/3-5l-v6-gas-engine/electrical-cat/tire-pressure-monitor-components-scat
9L3Z-1A189-A / Tire Pressure Sensor
TPMS Sensor
2011-17 Taurus
$52.89

1 https://parts.levittownfordparts.com/auto-parts/2016/ford/police-interceptor-utility/base-trim/3-5l-v6-gas-engine/electrical-cat/tire-pressure-monitor-components-scat
F2GZ-1A189-A / Tire Pressure Sensor
2016 POLICE INTERCEPTOR; 315MHZ
$52.89

Edge MKX Mustang F150 use these sensors.
There is a 433 MHz listing also, not sure what thats all about.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

jmr061

No a 2016 Utility TPMS will not work on a 2012.  The Utility/Explorer went to the next generation TPMS for the 2016MY.
Jason
16 Edge Sport

SilvererSHO

Quote from: jmr061 on October 27, 2017, 10:54:39 PM
No a 2016 Utility TPMS will not work on a 2012.  The Utility/Explorer went to the next generation TPMS for the 2016MY.

It sounds like a light on my dash will be on for about 5 months then.  I should be safe with steel wheels with fresh tires.  I'm not breaking down the tires again to spend more money to replace the TPMS sensors.  And if I buy the sensors I'll put the four of them in a wheelbarrow tire and air it up to 35 psi and chuck it in the trunk to turn the damn dash light off for now.  Maybe I'll install them in the rims after Christmas when I get the tires rotated for the first time.

SilvererSHO

OK, so here's a weird one.  I pulled the 20" wheels and put on the 18" steelies with all seasons yesterday.  I've started it up and driven it 3 times now and I haven't had a TPMS light on the dash come on yet. ???

SHOdded

How far have you driven it in all?  More than 20 miles?  May get lucky w the light!

SilvererSHO

Quote from: SHOdded on October 30, 2017, 02:10:36 AM
How far have you driven it in all?  More than 20 miles?  May get lucky w the light!

QuoteMay get lucky w the light!

Or....I may not.  It finally came on this morning on my way into work.  This is after putting 40 or so miles on it and starting it 6-7 times over the weekend.

pmezo33

Are these to put snow tires on during the winter?  I'd assume so since they're steelies.  Just drive around without the TPMS sensors working and have the light on for a few months.  That's what i do.  Not really a big deal to me. 

SilvererSHO

Quote from: pmezo33 on October 30, 2017, 10:44:43 AM
Are these to put snow tires on during the winter?  I'd assume so since they're steelies.  Just drive around without the TPMS sensors working and have the light on for a few months.  That's what i do.  Not really a big deal to me.

Steelies with Firestone All Seasons.  That's what I plan on doing.