• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Axle Seals, Mmm Mmm Good

Started by dubcitySHO, October 19, 2017, 05:17:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dubcitySHO

Well, my SHO is heading back to the shop AGAIN for a passenger side axle seal leak for the 3rd time.

First noticed PTU and general area covered in trans fluid during my last oil change.  Had the seal replaced, all was good for about a week.  Second time around, I was losing gear oil out of the PTU (was landing on the exhaust piping and wow did it reek) had that seal replaced, and all was good for the last month or so.

Had some irregular shifting yesterday so checked the fluid level and was about a quart low.  Fluid level was right at the bottom of the dipstick.  Jacked the car up, and sure enough, the plastic collar (for lack of the proper term) on the axle that connects to the PTU is flopping around on the axle.

Is there anything I should be having my mechanic looking at/for besides the seals which may be causing my car to be eating these things? 

If it matters any, trans fluid is motorcraft LV, and PTU is filled with AMSoil.  Thanks guys!
2018 Magnetic Metallic F-150 XLT FX4 SCrew, 20% 3M Tint, Currently researching reputable F-150 tuners....

SHOdded

Most of the time, recurring problems are due to improper seal installation.  Used to be, early on, the seals themselves had issues, causing rework.  Such is not the case now.  Is the work being done at Ford?  Do you have the part numbers being used?  You have to be very careful installing that particular seal, IIRC.  You can see basically what needs doing in this Ford-originated video
! No longer available
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

dubcitySHO

Thanks for the insight Manu!

The work is NOT being done at Ford, but by a (former) Ford certified tech that left to start his own shop.  Not defending him and saying that's not the cause, it entirely could be, but historically he has been a reliable and stand up guy. 
2018 Magnetic Metallic F-150 XLT FX4 SCrew, 20% 3M Tint, Currently researching reputable F-150 tuners....

SHOdded

Totally get it!  Unless there is rust/pitting on the surface of the axle/mating parts, the seal is what I would look to as the actual failure point, whether it is the part or the install.  no harm in having him check the axle/ptu surfaces before installing the new parts.  And making doubly sure the part numbers are current.  As you may know, Ford keeps playing games with the numbers, but ya still gotta install Ford parts.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

dubcitySHO

Yes I do know they are OEM parts, as they took a few days to arrive, but do not have the numbers.  I will ask him how the axle/PTU mating surfaces look. 

Last question for the time being, the plastic outer most collar, does it act as a seal to hold fluid in, or is it more of a protective piece to keep debris away from the actual seal?

ZSHO

I believe the compression seal your referencing to is on page 6 IIRC.   
PDF Below and Best of luck. Z

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8JUL90DXgdiMDRVVDhUUE9DRlN5TlAxWW5FX1picnE5SlNj/view?usp=drivesdk

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

dubcitySHO

Quote from: ZSHO on October 19, 2017, 08:52:38 PM
I believe the compression seal your referencing to is on page 6 IIRC.   
PDF Below and Best of luck.
Z

Thank you for the doc Z!  I do believe that is the culprit that is leaking.  I was inquiring about the external plastic collar that is visible on the passenger side axle where it passes out of the PTU.

It is just dangling in the axle and I couldn't snap it back into the PTU from the terrible angle I had to work with.

SHOdded

No idea about that "collar".  I would say also that it is to protect the seal from the external environment.