• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

New LMS tuned mkt, am i expecting too much?

Started by qak, October 05, 2017, 08:16:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

qak

Hi my name is Chris, I have a new to me 2010 mkt that I basically stole lol.  Picked it up at a dealer for 6320!  I imagine because it had a little torque conv shudder but I fixed it by changing the fluid 3x and adding dr trans shudder fix. Anyway i ordered the lms tuner and waited almost a week for my tunes.  I just loaded the level 4 tune tonight and drove to get the kids, check engine light on so I called lms, they were very helpful but somewhere along the way I thought i needed a 3 bar map so I had ordered it with the kit and installed just before flashing.  Long story short that is why I got the engine light, anthony said the tunes are built with 2 bar unless I specifically tell them 3 bar.  After changing back to the 2 bar and driving it I noticed that it shifted a little more firm but nothing like I have read on here about the banging into gear!!  I actually wanted much more firm shifts but I will ask them tomorrow about that.  As far as the power......well I am not really impressed.  Now I did just get out of an 11.70 mustang but I did expect more power, I tried boosting it up and honestly I expected a little wheelspin but didnt get any.  I changed to the 4 plus tune and it ran a little better but still not quite what I expected,  so my question is am I asking too much or does it sound like I am lacking some power here?  Also will I get more power from the 3 bar or does that just come into play with the meth kit?  I will be getting the meth kit soon as long as it makes the changes in power I am expecting..........thank you for your time!

SHOdded

Welcome, Chris!  Hope the shudder fix lasts, because the actual fix is a new torque converter.

As to the tune, 4+ or 4X is what most people use, I think 4X mandates the use of 93 fuel, so be sure to follow the fueling recommendations.

As to the wheelspin, what RPM were you launching at?  Stock launches are best anywhere from 2200-2500 RPM, tuned launches 1800-2200 rpm on stock tires/pressures.  AWD is supposed to prevent wheelspin, that means the system is working well.  I don't think you can turn the traction controls all the way off on the 2010, that seems to be a 2013+ feature on the SHO.  May be same for the MKT but do not know.  Owner's manual will tell if so, for sure.

3 bar MAP is more about giving you more precision if you go near/over the 2 bar capabilities, including normal boost levels as well as spikes.  When you put on the 3 bar sensor, you better flash with a 3 bar tune or you will get all kinds of warning bells & chimes.  Engine will run rough/stumble because the voltage stepping is different than expected from the sensor.  Not a pleasant experience at all.

A tune + 3 bar will not put you anywhere near the times of the Mustang.  Plus you are in a much heavier vehicle, and in a Lincoln at that, meaning it is not as "brutish" as the SHO re: seat of the pants.  And the SHO is pretty refined LOL.  Now, I assume you have verified that boost levels are good, just in case the turbos are not working to full potential, undercutting the tune.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

donky4444

On my SHO when I went from the 2 bar tune to the 3 bar my 1/4 mike time dropped by 0.4 secs. It will make a difference but not sure how much you'll feel on the old butt dyno.
2017 Lincoln MKZ 3.0tt with LMS tune

2014 SHO 402a PP 20" flower wheels. LME  tune, 3 bar MAP, LED Puddle Lights and LED DRL's from Drive Bright, tinted head and tail lights, gloss black vinyl wrapped all chrome with custom chrome SHO emblems front and rear. SOLD

2015 X Sport LME 3 bar tune, LED Puddle and plate lights

ZSHO

Welcome there quak ! How many miles on your MKT? What's the DA ? (elevation)in your area.
Do you have any pics to share? I would make certain your vehicle is running @ it's fullest potential prior to installing a new Tune IMO.

FYI - staying on TOP of your vehicles maintenance aspect such as using high quality fresh fluids is crucial for optimum performance prior to running a Tune,especially new spark plugs preferably gapped @ Tuners Specs. 
Best of luck. Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

AJP turbo

Quote from: donky4444 on October 06, 2017, 07:58:19 AM
On my SHO when I went from the 2 bar tune to the 3 bar my 1/4 mike time dropped by 0.4 secs. It will make a difference but not sure how much you'll feel on the old butt dyno.

I think that may have been slightly coincidental and some other factors were involved because that would be a great improvement. Because I've seen LMS 3 bar tune logs and they only target around 12.5 psi of boost  so I can't imagine the 2 bar tunes being much less than that because you would start to be near stock boost levels at that point.

I would say with a 3 bar tune you should expect 1/4 times of 12.8 to 13.8 I know that's a wide range but that's what I've seen from tunes from myself to LMS and basically every other vendor...SO many factors involved in producing good 1/4 mile times.

There is really very little need for a 3 bar map sensor. I haven't non meth LMS 3 bar tunes target more than 13 psi...I think 187 kpa is the normal target for them. And they use throttle control for boost spikes on WOT upshifts so the boost is controlled very well...The stock 2 bar MAP sensor can read about 206 kpa or a little over 15 psi.

If you happen to spike to say 16 psi on a 2 bar map sensor on a tune that was targeting 12.75 psi you might barely touch 16 psi and it would be very brief....If that happens the short term fuel trims would add the necessary fuel to maintain air fuel ratio's...It's not ideal but the ECU would easily handle that so really the only reason for the 3 bar is to handle proper fueling for boost spikes.

What were you expecting with your tune?...Without a dyno or 1/4 mile times it's hard to really say where you are at...But if you are running anything in the 12's or even real low 13's I'm not sure you would have grounds to be disappointed with just a tune

The turbos are only about 38mm so regardless of what you do that will always be the problem for making horsepower.

Yes that thing is a beast I was thinking MKS until I read the post again.

SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

glock-coma

That  MKT is a beast size wise so times really won't be apples to apples.
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

qak

Shodded, thank you for the insight.  Yes this thing seems really heavy at least compared to my brothers mks!  I launched around 1800, I forgot to mention that my car has 255 tires instead of 245s, i will change to the factory size soon and this might be my problem for lack of wheelspin.   I have not verified the boost levels but will try this weekend.

Donkey4444, thanks, I think I will go ahead and ask lms for my 3 bar tunes just because i already bought the sensor anyway.

ZSHO, I think my altitude is around 700 here in kansas.  My mileage is 132k and I have changed the trans fluid 3x and the ptu twice.  I think that i got lucky that its a lincoln and didnt seem to be beat on like some sho's so the while the ptu fluid was black at least it still flowed, just very slowly and had a silvery appearance.  I changed it with royal purple and will change it again in the next couple of weeks to try and help her along. 

AJPTurbo, thanks, it really is a beast but i love this car so far!  I will just have to get a baseline then see what the tune changes make at the track or maybe a torque app.

Glock-coma, yes i have noticed how heavy this thing is lol.  It is more nimble feeling after the tune though.

So thank you guys so much for the insight and the replies.  I do want to add the meth injection soon and the required tunes to match.  I love my turbo cars whether it be a diesel truck or a car and LOVE power!!!  Im an old gear head from the 80s growing up and always had big block chevelles and buicks etc.  This car is so fun but I know it has much more in her, just safely lol.   As far as my torque converter.......how will i know if its my conv slipping or my transmission?  does the torque app show trans slippage or conv slippage?   Can lms add more line pressure to help with that?  I dont mind rebuilding the trans if I have to since im in the car so cheap but would rather wait if I could.  I dont have any pics of the car I can add here but I will try to add some soon.  Thanks for the help!

qak

Found a link for my car still on craigslist.  This was their buy it now price but I got them down to 6320!!

https://kansascity.craigslist.org/ctd/d/2010-lincln-mkt-ecoboost/6307015415.html

qak

Just got back from a drive with the torque app.  If its to be believed, I dont think its anywhere near where it should be in terms of power. 
accel....  .75
boost......14
0 to 60....6.4s
1/4 mile.....15.1 @95.1mph
1/8th mile.....9.8 @77.1

Now this is figuring the weight at 4200 pounds for the app and I might be wrong on that figure?? It does seem much quicker than factory but IDK to me it seems lacking a bit.  Maybe I will be happier with meth and the required tunes.  However I am very happy with the car in general, especially with the price.  Please let me know what you think of the numbers and If I am totally off base with my expectations.  I am happy with LMS and the smoothness of the tune, I just want more hahaha

glock-coma

I think curb weight should be
4,702 to 4,885 lbs
Depending on how it's equipped.
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

limited02

You're much heavier than 4200 because my '12 MKS is 4617 with me in it (I'm 170).  Request a 3-bar tune and then request the Stage 4+X 93 and let her rip.  That's my DD tune and recently ran a 13.3 in terrible conditions.  The car will spin first and chirp second pretty hard (also running 255's).  All the 91 tunes are noticeable over stock and the 93 tunes are even more noticeable. 

Where in KS?  I'm in Gardner, KS.

qak

limited02

Dang!  I was at Heartland Park drags a few weeks ago.  Plan to go again sometime in the spring and I'll reach out.

qak

limited02