• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

How to Install 3 - 7" fans Behind the Grill 2011 SHO - W Custom Grill Only

Started by irondoor19, September 27, 2017, 10:16:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

irondoor19

Started this idea when i was sitting in the Pits @ National Trails (for what Seemed like Hours)

First Run was always the best Run (how to get rid of the Heat between Runs)...

You must have a custom Grill to attempt this Upgrade, Will not work with the stock grill....!

http://www.siliconeintakes.com/electric-radiator-cooling-fans/intercooler-fans-p-1024.html

3 - 7" Fans (12VDC, 1100 CFM X 3 = 3300 CFM ) "Will be powered by a Jump Pack" Under 100.00 Delivered.
2 - Aluminum L Channel 3/4" X 3/4" X 20" Long (i bought a 8' Piece)  20.00 Max Delivered
8 - NO 10 X 1" Long Phillips Head Screws With Lock Washers
3 - 1/4" X 1" Long Hex Head Bolts With Lock washers
2 - 1/4" x 1.5" Long Hex head Bolts With Flat Washers
Tap and Dies for the above, Portable Drill & hand tools
Wiring Quick Connectors (Male and Female), Wire and Fuse Block (20 AMP Fuse)
3 - 1/8" X 2" x 3" Thick Rubber Strip for bottom of Aluminum channel

Not Going to do a Write up (unless Someone actually wants to do this)
We did it with the Grill and bumper cover ON, and IT was Trial and error PIA,
But now that it is done "with Instructions" it took about 4 hours Total to complete.

total Parts Cost Approx. Under 150.00, the pictures tell the story:
2010 Lincoln MKS, BONE Stock for Now, 2014 3.7L Police, Drop IN K&N,

irondoor19

After installation, then the Wiring (with Connectors)

Final Jump Pack END (mounted in the car) is not finished, however
we are ready for the 1/8" Mile this Friday, will run this setup from the battery

AND the Finished Product.. YAAAAAA

hawkeye93

Nice work.  I've seen plenty of guys at the track using external blowers in the pits to cool between runs.  The last time I went, I bought some dry ice that I put on the intake for cooling, using grill mitts.  I think it was something like $10 for 15 lbs of the dry ice.  The track doesn't want drivers to use regular (water) ice, because they want to keep water off the track.

For those of us with stock grilles, it might be worth exploring adding a switch to power on the stock fans between runs.
2015 Ford Taurus SHO PP 12.219@112.84
PPE catless DP, Gearhead IC, SP-534, Reische 170, 3 bar, hybrid meth system, tunes from Unleashed, Livernois, Brew City Boost & AJP

1965 Ford Mustang Convertible 289 4V/T5Z/3.55
1955 Ford Fairlane Club Sedan 272 4V/Fordomatic

irondoor19

Quote from: hawkeye93 on September 27, 2017, 10:28:12 AM
Nice work.  I've seen plenty of guys at the track using external blowers in the pits to cool between runs.  The last time I went, I bought some dry ice that I put on the intake for cooling, using grill mitts.  I think it was something like $10 for 15 lbs of the dry ice.  The track doesn't want drivers to use regular (water) ice, because they want to keep water off the track.

For those of us with stock grilles, it might be worth exploring adding a switch to power on the stock fans between runs.

we will also be doing the stock fan Switch as well... More is better, blow the heat out of there....! :blowup:

Agentlongwood

If it's just for moving air between runs, I have a Ryobi 40v leaf blower I could bring to the track...
2014 Lincoln MKS - Sold... And I still miss it sometimes

lamrith

Nice job Irondoor19!

Here is an idea to chew on..  What about installing something like "killer chiller" behind those fans to blow cooled air not only into the compartment, but thru the stock IC?  Then let the car idle with AC on, I have found air moving thru the intake cools it pretty well versus having the engine off......  I would thing something like that even with stock fans on a switch could prove helpful. 
'13 Sho PP, SCT x4, AJP 92-Octane rev6 (14psi&20spark) NGK 6510, 3Bar, K&N CAI, PPE Catted DP, Dynomax Axleback, 20*9.5 Voxx Lago w/ 275/40-20 GMAX AS-05.

SHOdded

A/C activates the 2nd radiator fan, so a great idea!  As long as you did not run your fuel SUPERlow for the track, LOL!
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

lamrith

Quote from: SHOdded on September 27, 2017, 05:19:45 PM
A/C activates the 2nd radiator fan, so a great idea!  As long as you did not run your fuel SUPERlow for the track, LOL!
Too true!
'13 Sho PP, SCT x4, AJP 92-Octane rev6 (14psi&20spark) NGK 6510, 3Bar, K&N CAI, PPE Catted DP, Dynomax Axleback, 20*9.5 Voxx Lago w/ 275/40-20 GMAX AS-05.

Macgyver

Very nice mod. How loud is it. Just curious.

I know the tracks dont want water dripping on the track. But what about a very fine water mist system in combination with this setup? Sorta like the NFL uses on the side lines. Then activate for short periods before and then during the run. So to avoid any chance of dripping.

Now onto the Dry Ice idea. What about a custom Dry Ice type of Inter cooler. Not a traditional air flow cooler but like a water to air thats just vented a little to let off the pressure of the CO2. Obviously it would need a fill cap (radiator cap?) That would make the internal IC cooling fins Super cold.

Colorado-SHOBro

I'm glad someone else knows this nifty little trick. I have the manual switch for one fan and kick the a/c on low if i want to get the other moving. Effective for how simple it is.
Kudos to Irondoor for making this work. Please update with data when you're able to test it before or at the track.
Why will this not work with the stock grill?
11' SHO Tuxedo Metallic black-non PP | Highly sophisticated high altitude custom AJP Turbo E30 3Bar tune w/Wastegate mod | Cat'd ceramic PPE downpipes |170 stat| SP542 plugs .028 | PP trans cooler | H&R springs | RX catch can

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

irondoor19

Quote from: Colorado-SHOBro on September 27, 2017, 10:51:18 PM
I'm glad someone else knows this nifty little trick. I have the manual switch for one fan and kick the a/c on low if i want to get the other moving. Effective for how simple it is.
Kudos to Irondoor for making this work. Please update with data when you're able to test it before or at the track.
Why will this not work with the stock grill?

the stock grill is two layers and Quite a bit DEEPER, and IT IS now sitting in my office, SO
I am ACTUALLY not SURE if this could be attempted with the stock GRILL,
SO I will revert and take a LOOK and report back by Sat to see if it is possible to do with Stock Grill

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

irondoor19

OK:

here is the Skinny.. I did not want to relocate the AIR Temp Sensor in the Front of the stack,
So i mounted the whole Assembly on an Angle in front of that Sensor. IF that were Relocated,
it may be possible.. AS it stands the Aftermarket Grill is 1/4" to 1/2" thick... and the fan on the
right side (looking at the Front) the wiring is touching the Grill, SO i have the stock grill in a box,
and the thickness is 1-1/2" to 2" (To some of the Mounting Tabs the hold the two pieces together)

I think that if some ONE with a stock grill Car were to pull the Top cover, (if there is 3")
IT IS POSSIBLE, you actually need a bit more than 2.5" of space to get this done...

irondoor19

Quote from: Macgyver on September 27, 2017, 09:24:39 PM
Very nice mod. How loud is it. Just curious.

I know the tracks dont want water dripping on the track. But what about a very fine water mist system in combination with this setup? Sorta like the NFL uses on the side lines. Then activate for short periods before and then during the run. So to avoid any chance of dripping.

Now onto the Dry Ice idea. What about a custom Dry Ice type of Inter cooler. Not a traditional air flow cooler but like a water to air thats just vented a little to let off the pressure of the CO2. Obviously it would need a fill cap (radiator cap?) That would make the internal IC cooling fins Super cold.

Fans Running:.....

sholxgt

I vaguely recall Doug running his first Gen SHO at the track way back when and I think he would unplug the connector to his A/C compressor so that it could not physically turn on and would then set the dial to A/C.

That way it would run both fans, but not have the A/C actually running.
Current - 2019 F150 Platinum FX4 3.5 EB
Formerly -2013 MKS Ecoboost Premium
PPE Catted DP's, 170 Reische TS, K&N Drop In, AJP Tune only at track - 12.87@106