• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Don't overlook pawn shops

Started by Agentlongwood, September 25, 2017, 08:48:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Agentlongwood

On a whim I stopped by 2 pawn shops after work on Friday.  Wasn't looking for anything in particular, just looking around to see if I could find anything interesting.  I found a Ryobi Tek4 inspection scope with the battery and charger for $35.  Figured that's not too shabby, since it has LED lights and I can use it to look at the intake valves and check my intercooler for pooled oil.  They also had an oldschool SCT livewire, (Not livewire TS) for like $50.  Now that I'm thinking of it, I'm going to keep an eye out for a helmet so I don't have to borrow a gnarly loaner at the drag strip... So yeah, you can find all kinds of hidden treasure at pawn shops.  Totally worth scoping out every now and then.
2014 Lincoln MKS - Sold... And I still miss it sometimes

derfdog15

IMO I would stay away from a used helmet or a loaner helmet. A good helmet with current 2015 cert only costs like $150 or less. And that lasts you atleast 5 years, most drag tracks will let you take it up to 5 yrs past the cert, so a current helm would last till 2025. At $150 initial costs, thats $15 a year. IDK how much a loaner helm is for ya, but for me its a no brainer.
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

hawkeye93

I bought a new Typhoon helmet for $110 online.  Snell M2015 certified, accepted at my local track.  It's good quality, and it even matches my car.

http://www.typhoonhelmets.com/free-shipping-red-snell-m2015-rated-full-face-helmet
2015 Ford Taurus SHO PP 12.219@112.84
PPE catless DP, Gearhead IC, SP-534, Reische 170, 3 bar, hybrid meth system, tunes from Unleashed, Livernois, Brew City Boost & AJP

1965 Ford Mustang Convertible 289 4V/T5Z/3.55
1955 Ford Fairlane Club Sedan 272 4V/Fordomatic

Agentlongwood

If I were riding a motorcycle or running a real race car at the track, there is no question I'd look for a more legit helmet option.  When I had a motorcycle I was pretty religious about helmet use.  For taking my 14 second daily driver to the drag strip, I'm ok with a quality, used helmet.
2014 Lincoln MKS - Sold... And I still miss it sometimes