• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

LMS 4+X Alky Tune Review

Started by StealBlueSho, September 24, 2017, 07:48:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StealBlueSho

I don't see many people giving detailed reviews on this particular tune and thought I would provide one. Since LMS is considered the premier provider of performance parts and tunes, it might benefit people who are looking at spending the extra money on LMS gear vs not. Cause they ain't cheap!

Everyone on this forum knows I hammered LMS attempting to get a more aggressive tune for the Alky Meth kit I received from them. To be honest I was be underwhelmed at how the tune felt. It just didn't feel like a wild twin turbo meth injected beast. And the datalogs didn't show any difference between the non-meth tune and the meth tune with the exception of the meth tune is less intrusive with throttle controlled load.

I have run this tune several times at the 1/8 and a few times at the 1/4. And how it feels on the street in very beguiling vs how it performs.

There are four different tuners for my car and some that feel like the car is ready to rip a new one in someone's you know what. However, at the 1/8 mile those tunes tend to be slower than LMS even though LMS feels tame. And we are talking these tunes are pushing 4 more psi worth of boost and similar TOP end spark.

On the street, the tune is so predictable and refined that it is really easy to drive around in traffic, back roads, wherever. I don't even worry about other people driving my car. The acceleration is smooth throughout with no sudden increase in power output. Passing other cars doesn't leave you 10 car lengths ahead of where you intended. 

At the track the tune is so damn consistent.. it's not the fastest meth tune I have, but it is super consistent, almost silly easy consistent. In 86F weather with my first run three runs of this tune at the 1/4, the ETs are exactly where I thought they would be based on my 1/8 mile ETs. Hot lapping and/or cooled runs, the times are just so consistent. Again, not the fastest,  but very easy to predict.

And the datalog information I have done shows a really well thought out and executed tune. It's really impressive how clean and smooth the logs look.

If you are looking for a no fuss, out of the box, super safe tune that you can run all year round, that is as easy on the street as on the track, and is literally plug and play, then I would without a doubt recommend LMS for their meth tune. (Yea... I know...)

I am not sure how they do it because the datalogs sure don't show the power being there, but to run sub 12.5 in the 1/4 with basic bolts ons, Meth, and a remote tune that requires no datalogging surely impressed me.

For sure a great product and I wouldn't have written this review but I was very impressed at the track with how this tune performed. Easily far and away would recommend this setup for someone looking for an easy way to run consistent low 12's.

I know I have not been the easiest customer, but I do feel like giving credit where credit is due.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SHOdded

Thank you for taking the time.  I have never doubted your intentions, but this review brings the clarity we all seek.

Keep in mind LME CAN tune your car for the track, but they will not do it at the expense of longevity.  Most people are not looking for an allout race build.  This is why they have achieved the status they have.

Kudos for another honest review!
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

StealBlueSho

SHOdded brought up a gaping hole in my review...

One of the reason I really respect the LMS tune is how much easier that tune is on the car. I have no doubt that I can run my car all day long (with proper maintenance!!!!) and know that I am not pushing the motor or trans to the ragged edge. I base this on how much heat is generated via their tune. We all know heat is a killer of drivetrain parts, thus why we are constantly looking for ways to keep things cool. Out of all the tunes I have theirs runs the coolest. Again, not the fastest but I don't worry about letting something loose.

All in all a great all around tune that will have most street cars looking at your tail lights and runs like a car that came off the show room floor.

It truly is a trade off for me personally. I really appreciate how the LMS tune performs and how cool it runs. I know I have nothing to worry about with their tune. Although I do like the raw the power of my other tunes but I know it's stressing the engine more... always a trade off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamsho

Yes I agree wth SBS that the LME tunes are less abusive on the driveline, and I think that comes down to there ability to play with the torque management.  As most know I think I put the these cars thru the worse torture test.  1.5 years on my 2012 and one year on the 2013.  Both cars didn't miss a beat and also keeping up on fluids changes is key.   The 2013 is more consistent than the 2012 ever was.  Since they both have the same driveline, the only difference is the ECU.  That's what I came up with, but who knows.
2013 white Gen 5.  Gearhead Intercooler, Turbosmart wastegate actuators, Alky Controls meth kit, Livernois catted downpipes,  Livernois Corsa cat back black etched tips.  2016 True Street Champion.

Agentlongwood

Is this the same case for the lower tier/non-meth tunes from Livernoise?  Or are they all similar till you get to the upper end?
2014 Lincoln MKS - Sold... And I still miss it sometimes

bamsho

Yes it is.  I ran V10 91 last year when I raced, loiaded it beginning of the season, and never took it out.
2013 white Gen 5.  Gearhead Intercooler, Turbosmart wastegate actuators, Alky Controls meth kit, Livernois catted downpipes,  Livernois Corsa cat back black etched tips.  2016 True Street Champion.

Brucelinc

Quote from: bamsho on September 26, 2017, 04:52:21 AM
Yes it is.  I ran V10 91 last year when I raced, loiaded it beginning of the season, and never took it out.

Agree completely.  I ran their 4+X (2010-2012 models) on the street and on the track for about 40,000 miles.  It was an excellent daily driver tune and was extremely consistent for racing.

StealBlueSho

Yup, it is consistent. Although at the 1/4 there was more variation then at the 1/8 mile but that is to be expected. When they asked me at check in what time I expected to run I took a WAG at 12.5 just based on my 1/8 mile slips and how the car felt on the street. And sure enough I was right at 12.5 with this tune. Predictable for sure.

If LMS would open the tune up a bit more then it would really make me consider running it as my DD. Depending how Brads tune handles winter months I might switch to LMS when it gets cold combined with winter fuel.