• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Heat vs timing

Started by lamrith, August 23, 2017, 09:10:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lamrith

I figured this would be a good section to ask this in.  We all know the SHO's heatsoak pretty bad.  And that above a certain temp (100*, 110*?) the car starts pulling timing to counter detonation.

Does anyone know what that rate/formula is for how much timing is pulled as temps rise?

-1*timing per 5*of IAT2?  -2*, -3*?  Just sitting here wondering on a way to be able to get rough idea that if you dropped your IAT from 150 to 120, how much extra timing that would net you.
'13 Sho PP, SCT x4, AJP 92-Octane rev6 (14psi&20spark) NGK 6510, 3Bar, K&N CAI, PPE Catted DP, Dynomax Axleback, 20*9.5 Voxx Lago w/ 275/40-20 GMAX AS-05.

StealBlueSho

It depends on the tune. The tuners have explicit control over IAT compensation. All of the tuners approach this a bit different and depending on if you have meth added or not. I know Brad and Torrie are probably more forth coming with that information whilst LMS is most likely not gonna tell you what settings they are using.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Colorado-SHOBro

yes it starts pulling 1* of timing for every +10*f in IAT above 100*IAT. so at 150IAT it's pulling 5* of timing vs 120IAT it's pulling 2*. i believe this is the stock tunes configuration as stated by brad. 5* of pulled/advanced timing makes a VERY noticeable seat of the pants difference.
i just went from an E20 to E30 tune to try and attack the high IAT conditions. rather than change the actual IAT tables in the tune brad opted to further enable the knock sensors to add timing more quickly when they see fit. this way the timing can be added when it's appropriate but isn't commanded at all times.
as SBS said, every tuners approach will be different but brads approach seems pretty safe while still getting optimal performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
11' SHO Tuxedo Metallic black-non PP | Highly sophisticated high altitude custom AJP Turbo E30 3Bar tune w/Wastegate mod | Cat'd ceramic PPE downpipes |170 stat| SP542 plugs .028 | PP trans cooler | H&R springs | RX catch can

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

lamrith

Thanks guys.  I was looking for the stock Ford tune data.

Yeah I like the way Brad tunes, I am running a Rev6 tune of his now.
'13 Sho PP, SCT x4, AJP 92-Octane rev6 (14psi&20spark) NGK 6510, 3Bar, K&N CAI, PPE Catted DP, Dynomax Axleback, 20*9.5 Voxx Lago w/ 275/40-20 GMAX AS-05.