• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Brake problem.

Started by Kolk1, August 05, 2013, 12:23:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crash712us

Sounds like rotors are glazed, plus EBC doesn't recommend using red stuff pads with anyone else rotors. I've been using over 2yrs EBC red stuff pad with their Ultimax rotors and I believe BPD uses also with yellow stuff. The rotors from summit look like Ultimax, just not familiar with how they have them branded. Also EBC has a High carbon rotor above the Ulitmax.

2011 tuxedo black non pp, LMS stage 5, Corsa cat back, LMS down pipes, Airaid, Alky control meth injection, Megan Racing coil overs, EBC rotor&pads, Mobsteel grill, 2013 trans cooler. 403whp 417wtq 12.25 @ 110

DJE624

Looks like a pretty cool set up to me.  That's my next project after DP's.

Kolk1

I just changed the links, to the web site with a lot better pricing.

They have 2 different EBC rotors, One is just a hair more, but not sure how its better.

Yea, I wasnt sure if the EBC pads on Stoptech rotors would be an issue. Thats why this time im looking at doing the whole thing in EBC.

crash712us

Are just plan to do fronts or all 4? As EBC doesn't  recommend using 2 different brake compound together. And from looking those rotors prices they must be for the rear. But it doesn't say what they are for, as price for front rotors and yellow stuffed pads at ebcrotors.com is over $500

OOOPS! I stand corrected from the listed part no. those are fronts and there $100 bucks cheaper then those list on ebcrotors.com

2011 tuxedo black non pp, LMS stage 5, Corsa cat back, LMS down pipes, Airaid, Alky control meth injection, Megan Racing coil overs, EBC rotor&pads, Mobsteel grill, 2013 trans cooler. 403whp 417wtq 12.25 @ 110

Kolk1

I edited the link to the front, Yea, the $155 rotor set was the rear, I just noticed that too. The front pair of the better EBC rotors are like $255, and the yellow pads are $101

Id probably end up doing all 4, just debating on what setup to go with if I have to replace them all again.

crash712us

Good question, I am not sure there is many option out there I am extreme happy with my EBC brakes set up. All though my front pads are about done with about 20k on them. But the rotors are still prefect.

Kolk1

Im thinking:
Front Rotors EBC USR7510 $232
Rear Rotors EBC Brakes USR7280 $155

Front Pads EBC-DP41767R $101
Rear Pads EBC Brakes DP41825R $90

That whole setup would be about $600

crash712us

Thats a dam good deal! In wish I had bought my replacement pads from here would have save $20.

Kolk1

Im just not in the mood to be spending another $600 on the brakes on this car. Thats almost the Meth kit I was getting ready to buy, or the exhaust for the new motorcycle :(

crash712us

Yeah... Brakes are kinda a must have.

Kolk1

Yup. A little more important when it's your daily driver. I have put like 25,000 miles on it in the last year. It's been perfect beside the brakes.

Brucelinc

I am not sure what model year we are talking about here but don't forget the TSB for the 2010s that called for new caliper brackets.  I realize you have changed the pads and rotors but the caliper brackets that are part of that TSB hold the pads in a better position relative to the rotors.

I had brake grinding and crunching on my 2010 and the dealer first just replaced the pads.  The problem returned within a few thousand miles.  Once the TSB was applied with the revised caliper brackets, all was well and I have had no further problems.  The brake "feel" is much improved, too.  I am not sure exactly when the revised brackets were made standard - 2011 or 2012.

Kolk1

Mines a 2011. Not sure if the TSB still applies.

crash712us

Quote from: Kolk1 on January 15, 2014, 09:51:04 AM
Mines a 2011. Not sure if the TSB still applies.
It does apply to 2011's as well. Had it done on mine. But that only fixed problem for a few thousand miles.
Hasn't been a issue since replacing factory pads and rotors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kolk1

Im rounding about 60k miles on my car now, and I bought it last year with 35k, so besides the one caliper issue I had originally about 5 months ago, even then I never had this weird growling sound. But its very random, I don't remember hearing it at all this morning. But like I said, its only about every 2-3 times out of 10 it makes the noise, but it sounds horrible.

I still plan on taking it all apart tomorrow, see if there is anything obvious. As of now im just preparing to buy that list of parts I posted a little bit ago when I get paid again.

Im starting to feel I wont ever get around to doing Meth on this car because I have about 10 other things that need to be done first. I might as well sell my MyCal tuner and just keep the SCT on the car like it is now.