• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

No Boost Ecoboost... Need help!

Started by Victorious Secret, August 15, 2017, 11:17:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Victorious Secret

Reaching out to the community to help figure this out. Thank you in advance for all the expertise and advise.

The vehicle is a 2011 Ford Taurus SHO PP with the following mods
3BAR MAP
MD CAI
Catted DPs
2.5" Exhaust
stage 2 WM kit
Custom WM tune

So after a 3rd gear pull on the highway I got off and went to accelerate and noticed something was wrong. The car was lacking power and glanced at the boost gauge and nothing. I am now not able to build any kind of boost. when driving I can hear the turbos working but they sound not as efficient or like clogged, a slight whining sound rather than the spooling sound. Before I was able to build enough boost in neutral to make the BOVs open up, now nothing.

What I have done so far is power-vac the CAC clean, cleaned the MAP sensor, inspected and moved the front BOV to the back, with no luck. I loaded a stock tune and installed the stock 2 BAR MAP. I even replaced the boost control solenoid on the intake manifold since it seamed like a possible culprit and was fairly cheap. Still no luck. I have looked and listened for vacuum/boost leaks by putting it in drive with parking brake and brake and having someone give it gas and didn't find any. Still kinda difficult to hear much unless it is a rather large leak.

What are the chances the turbocharger wastegates have failed? and if one failed would that create low boost or no boost? What is the easiest way to test, or is there a single point of failure for the two wastgates? A recent data log shows them at 0% the majority of the log and only 80-100% for a few seconds. Anyway easy way to dislodge if they are stuck?

What other components would you suggest I look at?

Thanks again

SHOdded

No codes at all?  Post a couple of logs here so it's easier to see what the car is doing.  But yes, wastegates do fail, usually a broken seal, the orange one IIRC.  But first, take off the engine cover and check the hoses atop the intake manifold.  They are not all clamped from the factory, and one or more may have blown off.  Also check the turbo piping for cracks/leaks at the clamp area.  Usually happens on the underside of the hoses, where you would not see them at a cursory glance.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Victorious Secret

No codes, I have placed zip ties on all the hoses coming in and out if the boost control selonoid on the manifold.

I have not checked the turbo piping but did listen for leaks. I will do that mannana as well as follow the wastegate vacuum lines to make sure the are connected and in good shape.

I will provide log in the morning as well. thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

bpd1151

Sounds like a failure of the diaphragm on either one, or even both of, the factory/OEM BOV's.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

AJP turbo

Quote from: bpd1151 on August 16, 2017, 12:33:46 AM
Sounds like a failure of the diaphragm on either one, or even both of, the factory/OEM BOV's.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

But something is telling the boost solenoid to drop to 0. So I suspected a bad boost solenoid but he replaced that...If the wastegate duty was normal I would think mechanical problem...Now I'm thinking electronic of some sort. And stock tune also.
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

ZSHO

X2- agree with SHOdded statement above and check the rear charge pipe to turbo for any visible oil in and around the pipe or possibly split or loose.
I would not rule out the front hose from CAC to Front turbo.
The whining noise has me a bit concerned.
How many miles? .Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Victorious Secret

71k, the rear charge pipe did have some caking of oil and dirt not very bad. I am going to take a closer look at all the piping today, actually remove and inspect.

I have also provided the log AJP has taken a look and suggests the boost solenoid which I replaced is not telling the wastagates to actuate. I agree with him and think it is an electrical problem but without any codes it difficult to begin isolating the fault.

Either way I will get to inspecting the piping after I get the kids to school, this issue needs to get fixed before I go back to work next week. thanks again all.

derfdog15

Sounds similar to what happened to my SHO at its last track day. I never got it fixed cause it got totalled shortly there after. This is the thread (https://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,7546.msg114499.html#msg114499). I tried changing that solenoid to no avail. I swapped to stock charge pipes, and back to my EPP pipes. Checked every line I could for a boost leak and never found one. No codes on my vehicle as well, and I could peak my boost out to ~10psi for 2ish seconds at best, at which point it would drop to 4 and go into limp mode essentially. I was going to change the wastegates/do a turbo swap as it seemed the only likely conclusion from what I was seeing, but never got to that point. Good luck.
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

Victorious Secret

Noooooo! Not what I wanted to hear derf! May be time for a billet   wheel and tial wastgates from EPP.  Hopefully they have a core in Stock. I leave town for about a month at the end of the month and don't want to leave her at home sick :(

Derf, by the way did you ever run a FORSCAN or any other device to possibly isolate the problem?

jbeez

Sounds exactly like the issue I'm having at the moment as well... :|

Will be following this. My car is set to goto the dealership on the 22nd
2014 PP SHO Darkside Metallic
K&N Panel filter, 3bar map, AJPTurbo tune, Motorcraft SP542 @.28, MSD Coils, PPE Catted downpipes, EBP Hot pipes w/ tial BOV, Tracy Lewis catch can, 170 tstat, 93 octane pump gas

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

AJP turbo

Quote from: jbeez on August 16, 2017, 01:49:11 PM
Sounds exactly like the issue I'm having at the moment as well... :|

Will be following this. My car is set to goto the dealership on the 22nd

No they are different...jbeez your car is leaking boost....victorious' car is telling the wastegate to stay completely open by way of dropping wastegate duty to 0% which is why i thought maybe the boost solenoid was bad but he changed that. I wonder if the ecu is bad?. Would be rare....even the stock tune does it...very strange
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

Victorious Secret

So far I have checked all the hoses no leaks and actuated the front turbo wastegate selonoid arm manually. Going under the car to get the rear turbo. I also verified the EBC the Ford House provided was the exact same part number not just a look alike.

I am with AJP at this point, I think it's something electronic but without a code it's hard to isolate.

You all think it would hurt to disconnect the battery and spray connectors with electronic spray cleaner?

Victorious Secret

An I found this. My MDesign CAI inlet was broken least of my worries but thought I would share, MDesign will likely replace for free. Not sure how that happened.

Night Hawk

This happened to me at the track one year, trapped much lower yet no CEL or running issues.  Found this and all was well.  I was pretty pissed when I couldn't figure it out.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrhBu5XtafU
2017 Fusion Sport
GFB DivValve/165* Thermo
K&N Panel/CFM Breather
Ult Perf Int Garrett Core/MKZ oil cooler
FMS 70mm TB/ NGK .026/LMS V6 93