• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Question about replacing radio APIM

Started by 6500rpm, August 02, 2017, 07:19:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

6500rpm

One of my biggest fears on my 13 SHO is the audio system based on problems we had in the fleet. Fast forward, I work with a lady that has a 2012 Edge, out of warranty, and the dealer wants $1100 to replace the APIM (module that bolts to the back of the screen).  I know that they can be had on Ebay or from LKQ used.
My question is, would a used APIM be a plug and play item or would it require programming or possibly lock out if it stores the VIN. I only deal with new parts in the fleet. Replacement is a piece of cake and the part from LKQ is a fraction of the cost of a new part. Does anyone know if there are any pitfalls in replacing with a used APIM?
2013 SHO PP in Ruby Red Metallic, GTG Billet Grills, Duraflex Racer Chin Spoiler, DriveBright LED Driving/Turn Lights,160 T Stat, MSD Coils, All Royal Purple Lubricants, EPP Gen 2 Duel Intake and hotpipes,3 bar, Gearhead AO tuned!

Chris_Flex

Quote from: 6500rpm on August 02, 2017, 07:19:54 PM
One of my biggest fears on my 13 SHO is the audio system based on problems we had in the fleet. Fast forward, I work with a lady that has a 2012 Edge, out of warranty, and the dealer wants $1100 to replace the APIM (module that bolts to the back of the screen).  I know that they can be had on Ebay or from LKQ used.
My question is, would a used APIM be a plug and play item or would it require programming or possibly lock out if it stores the VIN. I only deal with new parts in the fleet. Replacement is a piece of cake and the part from LKQ is a fraction of the cost of a new part. Does anyone know if there are any pitfalls in replacing with a used APIM?
Used sync2 my Ford touch APIM will work fine, you will just have too change the as built data from your vin using Forscan so you can have your features such as heated seats park assist etc. Unless you find a apim that has all of the same options that you have

2013 Ford Flex Ecoboost
H&R lowering springs
Sctx4 4bar map(Torrie tune)

2013 Ford Flex Ecoboost
BC Coilovers
Trans mounts
Unleashed e30 Tune

SHOdded

Another option is to have circuitboardmedics.com repair the APIM, then no reconfiguration would be needed.  But replacement is a good excuse to learn to use Forscan :)
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!