• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

H&R's installed. Looks fantastic, rides like buckboard.

Started by BrettSHO, July 28, 2017, 01:09:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrettSHO

Got new H&Rs installed and the stance is perfect, car leans alot less and is more sure footed, but it rides horrible. Maybe Im getting old but I can feel every crack and bump in the road shooting straight up into my spine.

The ride is drastically more harsh than stock.

Car is 2010 non PP with 80k miles.

My tires are bald so that isnt helping any. Im hoping with new tires (smoothest riding tire suggestions?) it will help some. Also, the installer didnt see any fluid leakage from the struts so I assume they are okay.. Even though its getting time for replacement.

Its not "bouncy".. Just harsh so that makes me think the shocks are probably okay ??

What say you guys?

SHOdded

I think the struts and shocks could use replacement regardless of what the installer says. Lowering springs do take a bigger toll on them anyway.

Also assuming the springs are correct for your application and are installed properly, in the correct location.   Do not know if front/rear have different spring rates.

Any blocks installed in the Springs by any chance?  MFRs use them to prevent suspension bounce while being trailered to the dealer.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Heelfan1

Installed these on my 13' non pp and to me they were hardly noticeable over stock unless on bigger bumps due to less suspension travel. Heck my wife couldn't even notice the difference until I told her.
2013 SHO non PP LMS Tuned, 160ts, 3 Bar, CAI, DP's
2013 EX Sport, LMS Tuned, 160ts,3 Bar, CAI
2018 Raptor H.O. Ecoboost LMS Tuned
2011 F150 Harley Edition 6.2 AWD(sold)
Whipple SC, JDM Tuned 600+ hp

Ramairetransam

13 Mks Ecoboost

derfdog15

On an 80k mile car, I would replace shocks and struts regardless of fluid leakage, especially when going with a stiffer rate lowering spring as OEM spec shocks/struts won't have as much life with the H&Rs as they would with factory springs due to not being matched. Unfortunately there are no aftermarket shocks/struts available that I know of, so we have to live with using OEM shocks/struts with lowered springs.

On my 03 mustang, I did a full suspension overhaul at ~100k miles, and in that time (though I only had the car for 20k miles, and everything was stock) I found one bent shock, one that had no fluid and would not bounce back, and my rear diff had 3 teeth missing on the ring and pinion gear, so the car had a nasty vibration and rode like crap. I put UPR lowering springs (Eibach makes them) with Eibach shocks and struts, and though I can feel every bump, rut, etc. in the road, it corners like its on rails which is amazing for a mustang. I'm moving to coilovers in front with a tubular K member, as I am doing a turbo build on that car. In any car that I have had the pleasure of working on/riding it, going to an aftermarket lowering spring will reduce ride quality (comfort) to some extent, but the handling aspect should improve.

Make sure you get a proper alignment once the springs settle (and I would recommend doing shocks/struts before that). Furthermore, the tire situation will aggravate the issue. The less 'meat' on the tires, the more prone the car is to transmit the road to you, especially with the less cushy suspension set up. I ran the BFG Sprot Comp 2 A/S (https://www.discountedwheelwarehouse.com/Tires/details?&partno=BFG-46912&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1Z6Pj6TS1wIVhshkCh3AKQZ1EAQYASABEgKCKfD_BwE) Not sure about that site, as I got mine from discount tire direct, but they were a pretty good tire for the price. I could feel some of the road, but generally the ride was comfy, and they hooked. I was on stock suspension though. I have heard really good things about the Continental tire offerings for the SHO, with regard to comfort, so would look there. Also, discount tire direct, and tire rack both have a rating scale on all tires offered (though it comprises of ratings for the same make of tire in all sizes) so you can get some sense of comfort vs. performance from those ratings.
2015 Tuxedo Black SHO PP -(SAE corrected): 369.4/451.4 - Gone to the automotive graveyard but not forgotten

2016 F150 FX4 Sport - 3.5L V6 Ecoboost - Stock for now

2003 Redfire V6 Mustang - Building to be an 11 second car

lattyd

I put on my H&R's at about 65,000 miles. 2011 - SHO w/PP. I don't feel like the ride was much worse than stock, however my coworkers 2013 non PP SHO was much softer stock to stock. I've had some form of lowering springs on all my cars so I've gotten accustomed to a firm ride over Michigan's "lovely" roads.
Current: 2011 Ford Taurus SHO - Performance Pack - KNN Drop-In Filter / H&R Springs / VOXX Matt Black Wheels / Black Trim / NEW: Unleashed Tune - 3 Bar MAP - 170* T-Stat
Previous: 2012 Chevy Sonic - 1.4T - Trifecta Tuned - ZZP Catback - Injen Custom Intake
Previous: 2007 Grand Prix GXP - Trifecta Tuned - Flowmaster American Thunder 40's - KNN Air Intake

ZSHO

I would give the H&R Springs a few hundred miles to settle in (break in period) as recommended by www.Tirerack.com . Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|