• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Oil leaking turbo

Started by avidmotion, July 24, 2017, 04:21:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

avidmotion

I have a certified 2013+PP SHO. I bought it with 35,500 miles, it has 56,000 now. It has not been trouble free. Under warranty I've had a new PTU and a new rear flange to flange. Plus several other issues. Lately I noticed I used 2 qt of oil in 6000 miles. I have an RXP McNally catch can set up. It has caught very little since the first big initial catch(maybe 4 oz oil smelly watery gas oil)6,000 miles later had same smelly but maybe 2 oz....I use 530 Pennzoil Ultra Platinum FL500S Motor Craft oil filter. I change around 4000 to 6500 miles, but before oil is black.  While changing the oil I noticed my rear turbo was all wet, slight drop of oil hanging. I've never seen my car smoke, smell like oil or any drips in driveway where I exclusively park. I can't see where turbo is leaking from but it is 1/4 oily wet on the bottom. Would something like this be covered under certified 100,000 mile drive train warranty? I'd have to go through ritual of taking off Windstorm, tune, thermostat, and RXP catch can, so I may wait till end of summer.....any ideas or suggestions appreciated.
Sp542@.028, windstorm CAI, MSD coils, AO GH TUNE, GH intercooler, All Amsoil, General Gmax-rs summer tires, +PP, PP PADS,EDC rotors, Colinite 476s wax, used PPE DPs, Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete with custom X pipe, Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts|, 3 bar, stock thermostat,  TRACY LEWIS DESIGNED Team RXP, the Original oil separator.

ZSHO

It sounds like you started loosing 2 quarts of oil after the OCC Setup Correct?
I would remove the OCC to see if your issues still persist especially if its not smoking cause something is not right IMO.
It should be covered under ESP warranty IIRC.
How does it run other-wise ?
Is the oil coming from the Pic high-lighted in Red?  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SHOdded

If the catchcan avenue does not pan out, look into the oil feed line leak possibility and turbo inlet for pooling oil (turbo seal).
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

avidmotion

I dont think its the catch can I only just put it back on from the last warranty issue. It is not from the top of the turbo it is wet all along the bottom. I got a pic not sure how to post from my phone....
Sp542@.028, windstorm CAI, MSD coils, AO GH TUNE, GH intercooler, All Amsoil, General Gmax-rs summer tires, +PP, PP PADS,EDC rotors, Colinite 476s wax, used PPE DPs, Resonator | 3rd Cat Delete with custom X pipe, Dicunzolo Gen2 Trans Mounts|, 3 bar, stock thermostat,  TRACY LEWIS DESIGNED Team RXP, the Original oil separator.

ZSHO

It could be the oil supply line kindly mentioned by SHOdded above.  Z
Pm me the link and will make sure to post the pic for ya.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8JUL90DXgdiWTA0NE1UUG83Q0ExVVc5U1ZEaXUtbXpJTzBr/view?usp=sharing

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

pmezo33

Two quarts of oil is a lot of oil.  That's a significant leak.  Pretty sure this is covered under your powertrain warranty since it's turbo related, so i'd have it in for some (hopefully free) warranty work. 

TopherSho

Quote from: avidmotion on July 24, 2017, 04:21:07 PM
I have a certified 2013+PP SHO. I bought it with 35,500 miles, it has 56,000 now. It has not been trouble free. Under warranty I've had a new PTU and a new rear flange to flange. Plus several other issues. Lately I noticed I used 2 qt of oil in 6000 miles. I have an RXP McNally catch can set up. It has caught very little since the first big initial catch(maybe 4 oz oil smelly watery gas oil)6,000 miles later had same smelly but maybe 2 oz....I use 530 Pennzoil Ultra Platinum FL500S Motor Craft oil filter. I change around 4000 to 6500 miles, but before oil is black.  While changing the oil I noticed my rear turbo was all wet, slight drop of oil hanging. I've never seen my car smoke, smell like oil or any drips in driveway where I exclusively park. I can't see where turbo is leaking from but it is 1/4 oily wet on the bottom. Would something like this be covered under certified 100,000 mile drive train warranty? I'd have to go through ritual of taking off Windstorm, tune, thermostat, and RXP catch can, so I may wait till end of summer.....any ideas or suggestions appreciated.

I would call the warranty people up and ask for a print copy of your contract in PDF form, then go over it by searching for the word 'turbo' or 'supercharged'.. I hate to say this but a number of things end up off that power-train list unless you opt for the ''platinum version"

case in point .. my ford dealership used platinum super duper 3K$ warranty will not cover the center stack.  you have to buy a third party add-on to cover it.
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

avidmotion

Here's a shot, just under car not on lift.

avidmotion

Update....dealer replaced bank 2 cat, continuous P0430 SES light code. Said not turbo. Said oil coming from rear valve cover pcv and oil separator. Said needs updated oil separator which is a non covered part, But to install that they must replace the old valve cover and pcv with new, as old not compatible with revised oil separator (brown not black). Wanted 750 plus tax and misc.
My RXP system should catch that if it was true.
1). I can't see how oil from a valve cover getting sucked straight into the intake by a hose 6 inches away is causing oil on bottom of my turbo.
2). Oil is pooling under my black rubber jiggle joint which connects the CAC to the manifold, as the valve cover to intake connection is in front downstream of the rubber connector.
If it was oil cooling lines to or from the turbo, how would I correct.? Replace the lines or the gaskets?
None if this is affecting the seat of pants performance  that I can tell.
Actually after the cats been replaced I noticed it runs much smoother and pulls really hard, it must have been clogged not just bad.

Macgyver

Simple fix sorta. At least she is on track now.

avidmotion

Yea I think I need to really check the turbo oil lines, like I said above I don't see how valve cover oil is getting on the bottom of my turbo. There isn't even one drip on my driveway, car don't smoke at all. Bewildered. So far 1500 miles on new oil change and no loss of oil. Trying to get it taken care of before jan, when I drive to naples Florida from nj, then from southern florida to western Alabama,  then back to naples and home in march.....