• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

CES light on

Started by Screaming01l, June 22, 2017, 12:43:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Screaming01l

Ive been dealing with a CES issue now for a few months. Car throws a P0020 code every time I start it. I can clear it with my xcal and it will stay off, most of time, unless I'm in traffic and have to get around someone, then it occasionally throws the CES, If I let it go too long, P0022 Will be in the error logs.  What id like to know i9f anyone can post location schematic or link to one.  Called in to local for dealer and they'd have to order parts. Called over to Napa, and they said the SHO takes 4 of the OCV (Oil Control Solenoids). Cars tuned by Torrie.

glock-coma

Are you getting any clatter/clicking noise at startup?
That p0022 code is the code that gets thrown when you timing chain tensioners can no longer adjust to compensate for chain stretch.

Sometimes the oil passage holes get caked up in vvt solenoids and cause the p0020 code. Also the harness has been known to chafe and ground out.
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

ZSHO

There is a solenoid related to PO020. Z
[ Courtesy (BlackSHO)
C'S P0020, PPT HK-HKG checked voltage At C1452 non present. Checked fuse F67 in bjb ok, found circuit cbk 02 open between bjb vct 21. Traced wires found GN wire rubbed through by / near upper radiator hose. Repaired wire cleared DTC'S and performed self test passed. 1 WT* KIT- Terminal $12.66.

I would also recommend using a high quality Full synthetic oil such as Amsoil or Redline along with a Motorcraft Fl -500s. Z

http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,5280.0.html

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Screaming01l

Always had good oil.  50k on the ODO.  Problem showed itself when coming down a dirt road (bumpy/vibration) from a vacation cabin.  No chatter no rough idle. Seems just a little sluggish, sometimes, at low RPM but temps here have gone way way up, 90's and 100% humidity, so that can play into the sluggishness

SHOdded

Sometimes it is a loose pin in the wiring loom to the VCT solenoid (bank 2 here).  So tug on the wiring to the plug, see if anything gives.

And definitely run good oil/filter with a reasonable OCI, because once the VCT solenoid passages get plugged, you have to replace the solenoids.  Maybe you can source the screen and rebuild them, but not a viable option usually.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

tarmstrong

I had that issue a couple of weeks ago, which was fixed under warrantee.  Not sure of the order of the codes, they may be reversed.
P0020 came up so I took it in to the dealer who replaces the VCT solenoid.  That took 3 days for a variety of reasons.  Drove it for 2 or 3 days fine and then P0022 came up.  Since that code basically refers back to the original code I took it back, not happy.  They fixed that, saying it was a wiring problem.
So, not sure if the original problem was a wiring related problem or not.  My guess would be the solenoid was bad and when he replaced it a connector wasn't seated or something and it shook loose.
2018 Maroon PP SHO
K&N Drop-in

Previous: 2015 Dark Side Metallic PP SHO
3 Bar, K&N, Tune

Screaming01l

How many have actually done the repair themselves? Reason I am asking is, I have the original unit out and a replacement unit.  The original has no O ring in the top groove, but the replacement does.  I looked inside where the solenoid sits and it's not there either.  Oh and a big piss off to ford for not making the opening and gasket slightly larger so the repair could be done without pulling the valve cover. No friggin common sense..

Screaming01l

Adding some info.  The Dorman version of this part had an o ring, but the one ford, which I'm using, didnt, so i figure it doesn't take one...lol

Screaming01l

SHOdded

Interesting!  Did Ford forget them in at the factory or are they using the valve cover gasket as a seal? 

Anybody know if you can pull the vct solenoid without the valve cover, on the F150?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Screaming01l

Nope,,no O ring. Seemed close to a machined fit. Nothing shows on the Ford parts sheet.  Wire was also broken inside the insulation seemed one wire was longer than tjebithernat the plug forcing the longer one to bend at an awkward angle. Car runs like new. Not sure how long these items have been an issue. It always had a strange surge since it about 13k miles.

SHOdded

Easy to monitor VCT performance using either a tuner or Forscan Lite for Android/iOS.