• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

MyCal Stage 4+ vs SCT Stage 4 comparison

Started by ecoboostsho, August 01, 2013, 07:28:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ecoboostsho

I received my MyCal and loaded the Stage 4+.  I was overall impressed with the actual device and how it connects to the Internet to get your tunes.  It does take 24-48 hours to actually get them once you send them the required car information so you need to have a little patience but all in all it was a smooth experience.

I had baselined the SCT stage 4 from Livernois and posted a graph of a scan in a previous post (will repost here).  I am still JUST comparing them and for the record the scan I did was RIGHT after I flashed it (I let it warm up just like I did the SCT scan and went the same distance.  Scans were run on the exact same stretch of road.  Temperature was 6 degrees warmer for the MyCal run). 

My initial impressions are positive.  It definitely builds way more boost (up to 3 lbs more than the SCT tune) however they also lowered the timing so a bit of a tradeoff...There is still quite a few more comparisons that could be done but based on timings it appears that I gained a full 1/10th from 0-100 with the MyCal.  It does appear that I have more Knock with the MyCal tune - at least I think - Forscan shows negative value for knock which I think means it is taking away timing?  Not positive on that one.  That said it only peaked at 1.67 degrees so I don't think that is horrible.

It also (in my opinion) shifts better.  The dreaded downshift clunk at 70-80 is gone which I am very happy about.  It does shift a little smoother but I consider that a good thing.  Your opinion may vary.

What remains to be seen is how the car "Learns" the tune and if it adjusts things back down or not.  I will be very interested in seeing what happens and will scan again after I have put some mileage on the tune.

It does pull stronger up top...the real test will be when I race my own motorcycle (VTX 1800) which with the SCT tune was EXACTLY as fast as the car.  To the point of where I could reach over and high five the driver of my car while I was on my bike.  In theory I should be able to beat the bike now.  Will report back.

The first graph is the SCT...the second the MyCal.
2013 White SHO w/PP, Gearhead Tuned, 3 Bar, 160T, Plugs...Mess with the Bull and you'll get the Horn. :)
Previous 2011 Tuxedo Black SHO w/PP - 12.89 1/4 Mile

DJE624

Thanks for the post.   

74d34h

I have been waiting since monday morning for my file. Called 3 times this week. Patience is not my virtue!  :biggrin:
2013 SHO

DJE624

Yesterday afternoon they had 60 tunes piled up.

SoCalSHO

Robert
2010 Met White
GH tuned, 3 Bar, upgraded turbos, 91 Oct
K&N drop-in or airaid, Corsa Cat-back
1/8 Mile 8.380@83.42MPH

74d34h

I got my tune files at midnight last night. These guys are good, and yes they are backed up. It goes without saying they tune alot more then just the SHO! Now its raining bad here in NY but I am going to load my tune, problem is I have stock, tune 1, tune 2. Not sure which is the more aggressive I have a 50/50 chance until I get word back haha.

I have a 2013 SHO nonPP, and the tuner had to customize my tune he said the Stage 4+ 93OCT is not yet available. A little disconnect between the tuner/sales? Either way I am pretty excited to play around with this. I will post up what I experience.
2013 SHO

DJE624

I would guess 2.  But yeah, they should be named better.

ecoboostsho

2013 White SHO w/PP, Gearhead Tuned, 3 Bar, 160T, Plugs...Mess with the Bull and you'll get the Horn. :)

74d34h

The files on the handheld were labelled it was the Internet download that Said tune 1/2 stock.

Anyway, I am running LMS93OCTv6 file.

S mode is how it should be now, sporty. It doesn't upshift every time you let off the gas and keeps the revvs up. This was allowing some engine braking for me on hills. 1-2-3 paddles auto shifts even at WOT at exactly 6K rpm. The boost is there the whole time, no tapering off that I felt. I do not have any logging software. Overall I am impressed and it was worth the upgrade. I would like to practice some launching when it dries up. I also ran with the traction control off.
2013 SHO

74d34h

I have been averaging 13.9MPG mostly local driving, 16.9mpg on the parkways. My first tune Improved general shifting, this version greatly improved shifting. It's a lot more solid. Overall I am satisfied with this version and keeping it on until the next changes.
2013 SHO

ecoboostsho

Just a quick update.  I've been running the MyCal 4+ tune for over a week and the car has definitely done some learning...however it appears to be in the positive direction.  I'm at work so I can't post the picture of the scan but timing is up...boost is down but only about .5 to 1 PSI...no knock which I am very happy about.  It definitely pulls better up top. Timing from 0-100 with identical IAT's indicate a full .23 seconds improvement so that is great!  I did also run it against my bike and it is a little bit faster (not a big difference however). Maybe a car by 100.  I do like the shifting and overall the car seems very responsive so I am pretty happy with my decision!

DJE624