• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Cooling fan stays running?

Started by metroplex, June 16, 2017, 10:51:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

metroplex

My 2014 SHO never had this issue before now. I had parked it for about 2 months while I drove my other car. I had flashed the SHO with a new tune and then had to revert it to the previous tune. Now I notice my cooling fans run all the time, even after a cold start. My A/C and defrost aren't running.

I don't see how something broke while the car was parked in the garage?? Any ideas?
Previously: 2014 SHO
12.4 @ 110.9 mph

Current: 2017 Fusion Sport

TopherSho

How's the heat blow?  Does it seem cold or drop super low ?  Are you using a SCT tuner?  What is the he coolant temp according to it ?
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

SHOdded

Have you flashed back to stock tune?  That is what I would try first.  But it is possible the fans need to be replaced.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ZSHO

It could be related to your Battery especially if it's been sitting for a while.
These cars have been known to act a bit wonky on a low battery,especially when loading a Tune.
Is it the original battery on there?
I would get a (Draw test) done and proceed from there!. Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

FoMoCoSHO

Since the car was stored, I'd check wiring for critter damage.

metroplex

I had a Pulsetech maintainer on the battery the whole time. I ran some diagnostics, reflashed to stock and back to the tune again (that worked fine before), and ran FORScan to monitor the A/C pressure. It was showing 107-108 psi without the engine running. Once the engine was on, the A/C was never on. It turns on when commanded and the pressure goes to about 111 psi. But the low speed fan keeps activating, even during a cold start with an ambient temperature of 75F!

Is the A/C pressure reading normal?
12.4 @ 110.9 mph

The Bronze

You could pull fuse 70 (15A) in the BJB. If it continues to run, then it indicates a stuck fan relay contact. If it shuts off, then it is being controlled by the PCM or the control wire is grounded.

My running pressure is ~230psi. AC enables PID = ON
Static pressure was 150psi.

On HPT there is a FAN DESIRED PID, but it doesn't work on mine, actually prevents a bunch of logging parameters from working. That would be helpful to see if it is commanded, or simply a stuck Relay 

metroplex

I don't see the Fan PID in HPTuners. It doesn't have anything for the AC either. I'm using FORScan which has access to the HS CAN and MS CAN bus systems, so I was able to see A/C pressure, AC clutch command, Low Speed Fan, High Speed Fan, etc...

I'll give the fuse a try, the next thing I want to see is if the CHT is reading abnormally high. I recall the other day seeing my ECT at about 140-160F but the CHT was 197F. There's no ECT sensor, so the CHT data is used to infer ECT, but the fan settings are all based on ECT.
12.4 @ 110.9 mph

The Bronze

Fans are requested by Transmission Oil Temperature (TOT), Engine coolant temperature and A/C Pressure Looks like fan speed can then be determined by the fluid temp (and/or A/C pressure) vs. ambient temperature. I think any of these three sensors high (or possibly failing open) could enable the fans, although I haven't looked to see which fans are controlled by the A/C system.

HPT V3.6.5 has the AC channels (pressure, A/C request and clutch out failure(?) under systems_A/C.
You should see if you have success with the Fan (ratio) PID under systems_fans.  Like I stated, it jams up my logging for most PIDS when I try to log that PID.

metroplex

I'm using 3.6.15 and don't see the Fans under Systems. I'll check out A/C.

My trans temp and ECT are all below the settings, so the fan shouldn't be running. The only thing that has me curious is why the A/C pressure reads over 100 psi without the engine running.
12.4 @ 110.9 mph

metroplex

I think the HVAC module or APIM or whatever controls the stupid touch panel buttons glitches out. I saw the Recirc flash for a split second during a cold start. My guess is that it kicks on the A/C compressor inadvertently and shuts it off, but it is enough to keep the fan running. This panel has given me issues with the Recirculate turning on/off by itself, or sometimes turning off the A/C by itself.
12.4 @ 110.9 mph

The Bronze

Quote from: metroplex on June 19, 2017, 08:47:32 PM
The only thing that has me curious is why the A/C pressure reads over 100 psi without the engine running.

I live in the frozen north, so A/C isn't my specialty, but if the running pressures operate around 50psi on the low side and 150 or so on the high side, the stabilized, rest pressure at 100psi seems reasonable.

The MINIMUM system pressure to engage the clutch is 42PSI.

The Bronze

What about fan minimum rpm.  Not sure if that would override temperature when cold, but worth a look.

metroplex

I never changed it.

Does anyone else experience the same thing when they cold start without the AC running?
12.4 @ 110.9 mph

The Bronze

I checked mine tonight when I moved my car across the driveway to the shop.  The fans shut down as i opened the car door to get out.  It made me think of your issue, so I then restarted the car, deactivated the AC and checked it again.  My fans were NOT running w/o the AC commanded on (cold).