• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Best/preferred brand of catch can

Started by MKSecobeast, June 14, 2017, 12:18:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MKSecobeast

I'm thinking about buying one but I'm afraid it might be a little too late considering I got the car with 96000 miles five or take. When I first got the car I did notice some oil in the intake charge tube. I plan on keeping this car for a long time and want to avoid powerless. Anyway, opinions on brands in terms of quality etc?

Thanks,
Jake
10' MKS Ecoboost, Thunderstorm CAI, Evenflo T-stat, Livernois 0.30 plugs, 3 bar map, my cal tuner, LMS non-catted dp's, LMS 93 stage 4 plus tune, 7' tablet running torque pro, factory 20's,custom badges and decals.

MKSecobeast

On a side note regarding power loss, has anyone successfully cleaned their heads with media blasting or some sort of cleaner?

Im having trouble even finding one I want. I want a plug and play with a drain valve that will fit a 10 MKS ecoboost. Econpower parts has one but doesn't except discover card. Any suggestions I would greatly appreciate. A link would also be awesome 🙏
10' MKS Ecoboost, Thunderstorm CAI, Evenflo T-stat, Livernois 0.30 plugs, 3 bar map, my cal tuner, LMS non-catted dp's, LMS 93 stage 4 plus tune, 7' tablet running torque pro, factory 20's,custom badges and decals.

SkinnyTick

I have the UPR catch can that you can buy through ecopowerparts.

It's a nice piece and it's nice that it's 100% plug-n-play - no taking PCV lines apart to reuse the fittings or drilling into the intake pipe.

However, the short line on mine going from the catch can to the intake manifold started leaking causing oil/fuel smell to get sucked into the HVAC and making interior smell at start-up.

I ended up buying some PTFE Stainless steel hose and made my own using oetiker clamps.

So, I fixed the leak, the oil/fuel smell subsided dramatically but still remained. I removed the catch can when I took the car into the dealer for the fuel pump module recall - no more smell. :)

I'm wondering if the hose that UPR uses lets fuel vapor permeate.

I'm considering mounting the catch can next to the air filter and making all 3 hoses out of the PTFE stainless hose I bought.

*EDIT*
Other options are the RX catch can, JLT(I think) or make your own using a water separator bought from the hardware store.
2013 SHO PP
Sterling Grey Metallic
Megan Coilovers | MDesign Intake | Catted PPE Downpipes | VTA
Summer Shoes: Silver Drag DR37 20X8.5 38MM with General Gmax AS05 255/45R20
Winter Shoes: Anthracite Sport ST7 18X8 35MM with Blizzak DMV2 235/60R18

MKSecobeast

I just bought the one through ecopowerparts. I got them to take my discover by routing it through paypal. Would you recommend immediately making my own hoses? I've also heard that their are no instructions?

polskifacet

AEM Dryflo drop in. PP Transmission Cooler and thermostat. 160 tstat, 3 bar map, plugs, AJP 93 Tune, PP Shocks and Springs

SkinnyTick

Quote from: MKSecobeast on June 15, 2017, 10:48:54 AM
I just bought the one through ecopowerparts. I got them to take my discover by routing it through paypal. Would you recommend immediately making my own hoses? I've also heard that their are no instructions?

No instructions included but here are some pictures. http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,7059.0.html

I would hold off on making your own hoses, just watch to make sure none of the hoses are seeping.

Seems UPR will use hose clamps on all the hose ends sometimes, other times no clamps. You can see the difference in the thread above...

Thought I also saw them using a longer line that has the check valve on it, alleviating the stress on the short hose length. - This is the hose I had to fix.

Straight forward install, if you aren't sure about something just ask. :)

I would also set the hoses out in the sun for a bit so they're flexible and a little easier to weave through the engine bay.
2013 SHO PP
Sterling Grey Metallic
Megan Coilovers | MDesign Intake | Catted PPE Downpipes | VTA
Summer Shoes: Silver Drag DR37 20X8.5 38MM with General Gmax AS05 255/45R20
Winter Shoes: Anthracite Sport ST7 18X8 35MM with Blizzak DMV2 235/60R18