• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

2016 Explorer Sport PTU - Oil Analysis at 16,521 Miles

Started by Lexingtonian, May 22, 2017, 11:03:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lexingtonian

I was certain the metals would come back really high, Very surprised of the results here. If Blackstone is saying to take the change out to 25,000 miles, it still flies in the face of Ford saying this is a lifetime fluid. Someone one cleverer than I surmised that Lifetime meant 36,001 miles. I suppose that seems true here.

My next steps with the PTU are to flush it. This last change I drained it and refilled it. Next time, I'm going to leave the drain plug open and run a quart of oil down the vent tube to get the rest of the black stuff out of the bottom. I suppose then I'll make it a 15,000/20,000 mile change regimen.

PTU Oil Change Thread for reference:
http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,7831.msg118606.html#msg118606
2016 Explorer Sport Metallic
93 Octane AJP Tune (SCT X4)
3Bar MAP
Plugs at .030

MiWiAu

Nice! At 30k (original fluid), they said mine was on the verge of becoming abrasive. Maybe the later models have had less factory contamination keeping the initial levels lower?

Looks like good news for your XSport. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2013 XSport

SHOdded

Well, we have no idea how much "break-in" the PTU is doing, and Ford has changed the internal design over time, so that is another factor.  Certainly I did not expect the numbers to be this high, but it MAY be normal, who knows.  I wonder if they even use coated gears inside the PTU ...

Certainly agree SO not a lifetime fluid.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Lexingtonian

Quote from: MiWiAu on May 22, 2017, 11:10:24 PM
Nice! At 30k (original fluid), they said mine was on the verge of becoming abrasive. Maybe the later models have had less factory contamination keeping the initial levels lower?

Looks like good news for your XSport. :)

Is your PTU Cooled? Mine has, I believe to be a passive cooling cowling under the skirt but unsure if coolant actually circulates. The metals in the oil were pretty unreal. So much so, it makes me suspect the report a bit.

Here's a photo with the metals. You can see the sheen of the ferrous metals as I am holding neodymium magnet under it to illustrate the metal.

2016 Explorer Sport Metallic
93 Octane AJP Tune (SCT X4)
3Bar MAP
Plugs at .030

MiWiAu

Yeah, mine has the water cooled face plate. I believe all the XSports are water cooled PTU since 2013. The air duct (cut out on the lower front fascia on passenger side) also directs air to cool the PTU.

2013 XSport