• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

SERVICE ADVANCETRAC message

Started by SoCalFlexin, May 19, 2017, 09:35:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pmezo33

I've heard of throwing parts at cars trying to fix it, but throwing the same exact part over and over?  Never heard of that.

SoCalFlexin

Another update, So the dealer installed the 3rd steering rack and the same codes came back. The codes are
C1278 and C1B00 Does anyone have any clue to what this can be?
2012 Titanium EB Flex White Platinum Metallic Tri-Coat

pmezo33

Those are faulty steering angle sensor codes like it was mentioned earlier in the thread.  What did the dealer say about it? 

Hopefully they don't want to throw a 4th rack at it and this time they address the actual sensors.

SHOdded

C1278 is also related to steering angle.  So it looks like the steering angle sensor and/or the ABS module need to be investigated and/or replaced.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SoCalFlexin

Quote from: pmezo33 on May 31, 2017, 03:44:09 PM
Those are faulty steering angle sensor codes like it was mentioned earlier in the thread.  What did the dealer say about it? 

Hopefully they don't want to throw a 4th rack at it and this time they address the actual sensors.

They didn't tell me what they are going to do, i think they are clueless. I have asked them about the sterring angle sensor more then once and then again today. They said no way trust me we have all of your bases covered. Ok we will see.........

pmezo33

Do steering angle sensors need to be calibrated?  I'd see if Ford was able to update the calibration.  If that's not an option or it doesn't help, I'd replace the sensor.  Pretty sure that's what your problem is based on the codes. 

pmezo33

Quote from: SoCalFlexin on May 31, 2017, 04:22:26 PM
Quote from: pmezo33 on May 31, 2017, 03:44:09 PM

They didn't tell me what they are going to do, i think they are clueless. I have asked them about the sterring angle sensor more then once and then again today. They said no way trust me we have all of your bases covered. Ok we will see.........

Lol.. all their bases covered.  Maybe they should try throwing a 4th or 5th steering rack at it.  That ought to do the trick.

Got to love dealers...

SHOdded

I think the ABS module has to be recalibrated when the sensor is replaced.  I will have to check.

EDIT:  no recalibration is mentioned in the FSM.  Now if you have active park assist, you have to realign the SASM using the scan tool, in which continuous codes are set in the RCM, which then have to be cleared.  But no recalibration required.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ZSHO

C1B00 code and DTC C1B00:2F (Steering Angle Sensor: Signal Erratic) - If the signal is calculated to be outside the expected range, DTC C1B00:2F will be set. If the tie rods (inner or outer) have been incorrectly installed or if the vehicle has sustained damage to the EPAS gear and/or associated steering/suspension components, DTC C1B00:2F may set.
DTC C1B00:62 (Steering Angle Sensor: Signal Compare Failure) - If the calculated signal does not match other sensor input, DTC C1B00:62 will be set.
DTC C1B00:64 (Steering Angle Sensor: Signal Plausibility Failure) - The PSCM calculates an absolute steering position offset based on several inputs, when the steering wheel compensation message from the ABS module matches or exceeds this calculation, the PSCM sets this DTC. Torque steer compensation is suppressed for the remainder of the ignition cycle in which DTC C1B00:64 is set.

Possible Causes Inner tie rods
Steering gear internal failure.
PSCM internal failure
DTCs present in the ABS module.
ABS module HS-CAN bus concern.

Diagnostic Aids When DTC C1B00:2F is set, the PSCM will transmit an invalid steering angle message over the HS-CAN bus.
When DTC C1B00:62 is set, the PSCM will remove steering assist, and enter into a manual mode and transmit an invalid steering angle message over the HS-CAN bus. The PSCM will also send a message to the IPC to display the POWER STEERING ASSIST FAULT message in the message center.
DTC C1B00:64 indicates a possible measurement or calculation error between the PSCM and the ABS module. Torque steer compensation is suppressed for the remainder of the ignition cycle in which DTC C1B00:64 is set. This DTC is for information only. Do not install a new PSCM for PSCM DTC C1B00:64                      [UPDATE] If DTC C1B00 is setting it is suspected there is likely an intermittent ABS/ADV TRAC/steering fault occurring. If you refer to section 206-09 of the online workshop manual DTC C1B00 sets as a result of a steering wheel angle, accelerometer and WSS input correlation issue. This DTC can be caused by a wheel/tire issue, chassis modifications, a faulted EPAS steering gear, a faulty SCCM, a faulty RCM or a WSS/tone ring/wheel bearing issue. In order to accurately diagnose this concern it will need to be present at the time of testing, otherwise your test results will be inconclusive with no problem found.

Before any further diagnostics inspect for any chassis modifications on this vehicle (i.e. lowering kits) and ensure that the tires on this vehicle are the factory original size, sufficient tread remains, that they are inflated to specification and that their circumferences are all within ½" of one another and replace any affected tire(s) as needed.

If you can verify that chassis modifications and the tires aren't at fault monitor the steering angle PID'S in the PSCM and SCCM, the accelerometer PID'S in the ABS module (YAW, LAT, LONG, ROLL) and the WSS PID'S in the ABS module and note for any false readings when this concern occurs. Note it is normal for the steering angle PID'S to not read 0° with the steering wheel straight ahead due to the way that this position is recalculated on each key cycle. Also note that the accelerometer PID'S will need to be monitored at a standstill immediately after this concern occurs and they should read close to or at 0 with minimal fluctuation (note for difference in reading when this concern is not occurring vs. is occurring). If a faulted steering angle input is found, and depending on where the false input is originating, replace the affected component as needed (EPAS steering gear or SCCM w/ steering angle sensor). If a false accelerometer input is found suspect the RCM is at fault. If a false WSS input is found suspect a WSS/tone ring/wheel bearing issue and repair accordingly. Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SoCalFlexin

And yet another Update.

So after going back and forth with the dealership i ended up picking my car up unfixed, they basically told me they don't know whats wrong with the car and they were waiting for Ford to respond to the problem and that could take days and they wouldn't offer me a rental. So when i was there i noticed that they didn't even put the right oil in my car(probably because i had a free oil change), it calls for 5w30 and they put 5w20 who knows if this really would result in a problem or not. But they did change it again and they must have done sloppy job because i have smelt oil burning since i picked it up. Also i noticed they installed two different part number racks and from the looks of it they left in the less expensive rack. They first installed CA5Z-3504-FE then they switched it out with CA5Z-3504-GE does anyone know the difference?

SHOdded

The numbers usually indicate revisions, I don't see a need for 2 different steering racks for 2010-12 at least.  Will post if I find any different.

EDIT:  Probably to accommodate park assist ...  that's what I am seeing on Levittown anyway.

1   CA5Z-3504-FE   Gear Assembly - Steering1
Gear Assembly
W/ELECTRIC STEERING, 2010-12, W/AUTO PARK
$1,642.72   $1,227.94   
1   CA5Z-3504-EE   Steering Gear1
Gear Assembly
W/ELECTRIC STEERING, 2010-12, W/O AUTO PARK
$1,409.25   $1,053.41   

SoCalFlexin

Quote from: SHOdded on June 01, 2017, 02:43:24 PM
The numbers usually indicate revisions, I don't see a need for 2 different steering racks for 2010-12 at least.  Will post if I find any different.

EDIT:  Probably to accommodate park assist ...  that's what I am seeing on Levittown anyway.

1   CA5Z-3504-FE   Gear Assembly - Steering1
Gear Assembly
W/ELECTRIC STEERING, 2010-12, W/AUTO PARK
$1,642.72   $1,227.94   
1   CA5Z-3504-EE   Steering Gear1
Gear Assembly
W/ELECTRIC STEERING, 2010-12, W/O AUTO PARK
$1,409.25   $1,053.41

My car does have auto park, i cant find any application info for the CA5Z-3504-EE

SoCalFlexin

Solved:

First off i wanted to thank everyone again, you were correct it ended up being the steering angle sensor. I was in the process of dropping my car back off at the dealer so they can do some further investigating and they told me that if its found to be the steering angle sensor they $400 to change it so i decided to take a chance and purchase a steering angle senor and change it myself. So for a hundred bucks its solved. Why in the world would the dealer keep throwing new $1500 steering racks at it and it ended up be $100 part. I am finished with dealers period. Sometimes just spending the money for the parts and repairing the car myself is worth not having to deal with them

SHOdded

ZSHO

Awesome News there Brotha!! Hopefully you can start enjoying your Flex just in Time for "Summer". Z  :)

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|