• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

0 to 60

Started by MKspool, May 18, 2017, 02:15:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MKspool

Quote from: AJP turbo on May 22, 2017, 12:54:55 PM
Couple weird things I see in the log....You are commanding almost 15 psi but yet you are barely getting that even on your boost spikes...and your boost is tapering very badly down to less than 10 psi I even saw about 9.2 psi at redline. That's even more weird because your wastegate duty cycle is pegged at 100% in places....You should have no problem exceeding 20 psi with that kind of duty cycle.

I don't think there is anything wrong but I suspect it's because how the wastegate settings are in your tune but there is no way for me to verify that.

I also think you 0-60 times are hurting because you never really reach very high boost and it tapers....When spooling up you normally see the ECU overshoot the boost targets which isn't bad because it's gets these big pigs moving but when your boost tapers to 9 psi in 1st and 2nd gear it's not surprising to me that you are satisfied with yoru 0-60

What is the elevation where you live?

My elevation is 8,749 feet in Houston. And I may have a boost leak or a failing turbo, I followed one of the hot pipes and I have very little burnt oil on the passenger side turbo.

I've ran 93 from shell, chevron and Exxon all with the same results.

Should I try some new hot pipes? Also my cats are reaching 1700F, which to me sounds like they are melting. Might need catless dp's as well?

Or is it just too much knock pulling timing? My sensor is isolated and wrapped in a rubber hose. I replaced the plugs 8k miles ago, maybe I need to go to a colder plug to deal with the houston humidity and heat.
2014 MKS | 3 bar 93p Torrie tuned | Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ |

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: MKspool on May 22, 2017, 02:58:22 PM
Quote from: AJP turbo on May 22, 2017, 12:54:55 PM
Couple weird things I see in the log....You are commanding almost 15 psi but yet you are barely getting that even on your boost spikes...and your boost is tapering very badly down to less than 10 psi I even saw about 9.2 psi at redline. That's even more weird because your wastegate duty cycle is pegged at 100% in places....You should have no problem exceeding 20 psi with that kind of duty cycle.

I don't think there is anything wrong but I suspect it's because how the wastegate settings are in your tune but there is no way for me to verify that.

I also think you 0-60 times are hurting because you never really reach very high boost and it tapers....When spooling up you normally see the ECU overshoot the boost targets which isn't bad because it's gets these big pigs moving but when your boost tapers to 9 psi in 1st and 2nd gear it's not surprising to me that you are satisfied with yoru 0-60

What is the elevation where you live?

My elevation is 8,749 feet in Houston. And I may have a boost leak or a failing turbo, I followed one of the hot pipes and I have very little burnt oil on the passenger side turbo.

I've ran 93 from shell, chevron and Exxon all with the same results.

Should I try some new hot pipes? Also my cats are reaching 1700F, which to me sounds like they are melting. Might need catless dp's as well?

Or is it just too much knock pulling timing? My sensor is isolated and wrapped in a rubber hose. I replaced the plugs 8k miles ago, maybe I need to go to a colder plug to deal with the houston humidity and heat.
1700 is a little warm for my taste and cat protection mode should step in if it has not been disabled.

Brucelinc

8700 feet in Houston, TX?   Don't you mean between 87 and 100 feet?

MKspool

Quote from: Brucelinc on May 22, 2017, 04:31:40 PM

Yes, you're right I googled Texas elevation instead of sea level. Brain fart 🤗

f8tlSHO

Quote from: MKspool on May 22, 2017, 05:37:31 PM
Quote from: Brucelinc on May 22, 2017, 04:31:40 PM

Yes, you're right I googled Texas elevation instead of sea level. Brain fart
I thought that seemed awful high... lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2013 Non PP Unleashed 93 E20 3 Bar Tune, K&N drop in 12.491 @ 110.96 120's IAT
Now tuned by ajp...looking to go faster
E30 tune on14psi full weight including 2 child seats,race like a real street car.
12.433 @110.8 140's IAT; Mustang Dyno 332hp / 386tq

AJP turbo

I think you are over thinking things....your knock retard looked normal

Like i said before you arent really running that much boost....but yet your wastegate duty is really high.....you should try a stock tune and compare boost and wastegate duty....i dont think you have a boost leak...i see some of unleashed tunes that run really high duty cycles
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

MKspool

Yeah, I tend to over think everything. Which leads me to buying more performance parts, and going faster makes me think like this 😱😁😏.

But the knock does look OK, I could've sworn I've hit 14.6psi when I first tuned it. I'll see if I can do a stock run tonight.

And are you hinting I should try one of your tunes AJP? 🤔
Cause' I'll do it!

AJP turbo

I think you were hitting somewhere around 14 psi but just at the shift spikes then it tapers badly

You were less than 10 psi at redline and that should not happen at 90% wastegate duty UNLESS you are in the mountains and high elevation, which you are not ....your elevation is 100 feet correct?..

Or like f8tl said and you have a boost leak ....you could but i have seen unleashed tunes with high wastegate duty and lower boost

If you run the same logs stock you can rule that out
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

MKspool

Stock log attached.

I may be counting wrong but it looks like a 6 second stock 0 to 60? Somethings not right.

The waste gate and boost pressures seem to be tune specific. Stock they are linear and tuned it does that weird thing where the gate is almost 100% yet boost tapers. It seems to taper after 4000rpm, or right before a shift. Must be how the tune is set up. No indications of a boost leak.

f8tlSHO

I think you should just have ajp do your tune, you won't regret it...

E30 tune on14psi full weight including 2 child seats,race like a real street car.

MKspool

I might just to see what it's like. Why did you switch?

AJP has been a little more helpful than unleashed. All I get from them is I have knock and can't revise. No explanation on times or values.
Now I'm not saying he's a bad tuner with poor customer service, I always received quick responses, just not very detailed.

I'll assume it's because I'm just a peasant trying to leech info.

f8tlSHO

Same reason, not much explanation. If you have questions he can help answer them, and he knows what he is doing... my car hauls ass also..with no mods other than tune and drop in filter

f8tlSHO

I ran a 12.4 on unleashed e20 tune in 40* weather. Iats didn't go past 125*
Ran a 12.5 with ajp e20 tune in 70* weather... iat2 was up in 160's, so I'm pretty sure ajp's tune will be better in similar conditions

TopherSho

Quote from: f8tlSHO on May 24, 2017, 09:55:36 AM
I ran a 12.4 on unleashed e20 tune in 40* weather. Iats didn't go past 125*
Ran a 12.5 with ajp e20 tune in 70* weather... iat2 was up in 160's, so I'm pretty sure ajp's tune will be better in similar conditions

I am headed back up to PIR in Oregon this Friday .. now that I *know* that hard launches rob me of almost 500ms off my 0-100 I have high hopes to break into the 12's finally on pump-92. 

I will install the 170tstat and adjusted fan settings probably tomorrow as well. 

Crossing fingers,. Really want that 12 second time slip...
2010 non-pp, 98k miles, 3-bar,  .026 plugs, SNOW-KIT STG1, AJPTurbu tune#35, 15.5+psi
Best 0-60 public road 4.35s
Best 1/4 of 12.61 no DA correction

MKspool

Well, it's always hot and humid in Houston so I'll assume both tuners would yield similar results when it's 95 outside. I'll invest my money into catless pipes before a new tune. My main issue is the small amount of knock that's pulling my timing. I've got kr below +2 as of yesterday, which I contribute to the fuel octane being barely adequate during WOT. And I'm willing to bet the reduced egt's and higher flow will almost eliminate my knock. I know it's dumping some fuel to keep the heat down. All that extra fuel has to be going right to the cats.

I get the knock down, and Torrie will make my tune more aggressive 😁