• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Only 43,000 miles PTU=YUCK!

Started by SilvererSHO, May 13, 2017, 08:05:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SilvererSHO

Doing an oil change for the first time today so figured I may as well change out the PTU lube with fresh 75w-140 Amsoil.  I have a pit so I'm doing it under the car.  Not too hard once I figured out it's a square drive plug after trying all my metric hex wrenches and then wondering if they make a 9mm hex wrench.  Oh well.  Got the plug out and it had probably all the metal grit hanging onto the plug that the magnet would hold.  I'm using a rigid piece of plastic tubing that seemed to go into the drain hole approx. 3 inches.  I'm using a 2oz. syringe and got nothing.  I pulled it out thinking it just went horizontally into the drain plug hole and re-positioned it. Nothing.  Then I just started sucking on the damn tubing and poked it around and never got anything.  Pulled the tube out and it's just coated with nasty sludge.  So, I pumped 6oz. of Amsoil in it and went for a 2-3 mile slow cruise.  Nothing puked out the vent tube and the PTU is just slightly warm.  I'm waiting for the cat to cool down right now before I venture back down into the torture dungeon as I refer to the pit to my kids.  I've got a small copper tube I might try this time so I know at least it is going downwards into the PTU.  Any advice?  I'll report back in a while.
All Silver(er)SHO.  2012, every option with PP running new Firehawk Indy 500's.

BlueSHO

What size tube are you using? Is it packing with sludge on the end plugging it up maybe?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

2016 SHO Blue Jeans
2001 Lightning
1996 Mystic Cobra

SilvererSHO

Quote from: BlueSHO on May 13, 2017, 08:19:15 PM
What size tube are you using? Is it packing with sludge on the end plugging it up maybe?

No, I could never even get a vacuum.

BlueSHO

Well that's messed up. I have yet to change mine on my 16 but I have everything needed including this. I'll do it at 20k

2016 SHO Blue Jeans
2001 Lightning
1996 Mystic Cobra

SilvererSHO

Well, I'm getting something now.  It's not very warm so gravity might take 30 minutes or so.  What a mess.  Well, I believe the stories about the PTU are true.

BlueSHO

Damn your right that's nasty *ucked up..

2016 SHO Blue Jeans
2001 Lightning
1996 Mystic Cobra

glock-coma

Quote from: BlueSHO on May 13, 2017, 08:28:45 PM
Well that's messed up. I have yet to change mine on my 16 but I have everything needed including this. I'll do it at 20k

I swear it's not mine.....lol

mine looks different but works the same.
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

pmezo33

Get yourself a mityvac.  Makes life easy.  Works well with the rear diff too.

BlueSHO

Quote from: glock-coma on May 13, 2017, 08:57:46 PM
Quote from: BlueSHO on May 13, 2017, 08:28:45 PM

I swear it's not mine.....lol

mine looks different but works the same.
Lol yours is too tall..ha ha

2016 SHO Blue Jeans
2001 Lightning
1996 Mystic Cobra

SHOdded

Might even want to add another 4 oz of fluid (cheapest is fine) and go for a longer cruise before attempting a fluid extraction?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SilvererSHO

Looks like I got about 6 oz. back out of it.  I put 10-12 oz. back in and overflowed the fill hole by a couple of oz.  Put thread tape on the plug and wiped everything up that got oil on it. I will run it 35 miles or so to my dotter's softball tourney and drain it again when I get home tomorrow.

Not impressed with this set-up one bit.  On a positive note, it is by far the easiest car to change oil on I've ever had though.  The wife's SEL is even easier because there's no plate under it to remove.

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SilvererSHO

Sucked about 5-6 more ounces of black stinky crap out Sunday night and added 5-6oz. of fresh Amsoil back in.  I'll do the same a couple of more times this week.  I'm going to try a smaller diameter tube to see if I can get more than 5-6 ounces out.  My wifes 2014 SEL already has 26,000 miles on it and you can bet I'm swapping out the PTU lube on it also the next time I change oil.

SHOdded

Some improvement noted in the looks of the PTU fluid?  Any effect on performance?

SilvererSHO

It's definitely more fluid like but still looks and smells like crap.  Only being able to extract 5-6 oz. at a crack isn't helping my cause any either.  No noticeable increase in performance.