• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Struts on a 2010 MKS

Started by pmezo33, May 13, 2017, 11:48:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pmezo33

Not really a question, more of a statement, but whoever designed the struts at ford on the 2010's need to be shot.  Took me about 3 hours just to get the front right strut out.  Just one strut.  Still have the other side to do, but it should hopefully go much smoother.

Lower control arm, cv axle, tie rod end, brakes and rotor, steering knuckle, and the end link all needed to come out just to get this stupid thing out. 

Absolutely ridiculous.   

ZSHO

That sux man, guess when it rains it pours. Z
I think a couple of cold one's are in store.

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SHOdded

I don't think the 2013+ guys know whatcha talkin' about ... tra la la la la :P
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

pmezo33

Quote from: SHOdded on May 13, 2017, 01:46:57 PM
I don't think the 2013+ guys know whatcha talkin' about ... tra la la la la :P

I know... I've seen the struts on the newer models.  Looks like a walk in the park compared to this nonsense of a job.  Just a couple bolts and out they go.  Definitely not with the 10's.

Luckily, the other side went much faster.  Got it out in about an hour.  Much easier when i know exactly what needs to be removed.  Still a real PITA.

Now i'm taking another break while my impact recharges.  Then back together with the new struts and onto the shocks.  I'm thinking the shocks should be much easier.  I really need to get another battery for that thing.

pmezo33

And the new struts, strut bearings, and shocks are all in.  Shocks were easy.  Struts suck.  Have power tools if anyone wants to tackle this.

Hopefully everyone has the newer models with the easy off struts, so they don't have to deal with this.  Fun way to spend a rainy saturday.

SHOdded

Congrats on getting it all done.  No mean feat.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!