• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

RX catch can install on 2011 Flex

Started by firewater88, May 08, 2017, 01:46:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firewater88

RX Catch can install

I finally decided to put a catch can on my Flex, should have done it sooner- like right after I replaced the motor last year. Anyway, did my research and decided on the original RX can, standard size. The kit came all packed up in a box and all pieces were wrapped up nice. Fittings were already attached to top of can, but needed a little snugging. There is a bag of parts, al the fittings and t's and check valves you need. I asked for a bit more hose in my kit since I was going to put it on the drivers side, typically opposite where most installs are done.
Once everything was laid out on the workbench, the first trick was to determine where to mount it. It is a big can and you need room to access the drain, mounting locations and enough room to attach the hoses and not put pressure on the hose or fitting. I have the MDesign CAI and it opens up a lot of room on the drivers side. I removed the stock air box base and there were two screws that I had left in. They worked perfect for the base mount. The small adapter that came with the kit was a right angle one and it would not work without modifying it, didnt want to do that so i headed to my junk drawers. Found a small mount from my old Jeep that was a slight 45 degre bend that would bolt right up. Worked perfectly. The one caveut of mounting like this is that there is only one mount point and the main bracket can pivot on the one bolt. I cranked that bolt down and it can move with a bit of force, hpefully that wont be bad, but could always somehow add a second mount point.

Next was to plan the lines run and get them hooked up. I ran all lines under my CAI and next to the intake line and to the rear of the engine. The factory tubes popped right off and the ones in the kit popped right on. They give you 1 90 deg unit and 2 straight units. The one on the rear valve cover had to have a 90 deg one and it made the install nice and neat. That line goes direct to the center port of the can. The one on the intake really needed a 90 as well since there is a fuel line right behind it. I wound up cutting the stock one off and using it. Again the lines flowed right to the adapter with little to no bends. Looks great. This line attaches to one side of the can with a check valve going away from the can.

Next was to get the line from the turbo tubes. The front turbo line has a fitting from the stock CSS that an adapter can plug right into. Again, with my setup, I decided a 90 would make the install look better and have all the line flow easily and look better. I used the other 90 from the stock tubes. This line goes back to a T to get to the rear turbo line and then goes back to the other side of the can with a check valve going away from the can. For the rear turbo line, that is the one you need to drill into the tube. I was very nervous to drill into it and practiced on a few things in the shop first. The best one I found was a shop vac tube to try on. I drilled a hole with an auger bit and then used the included tap tool and used an included adapter and it worked well. So now to move to the car. Everyone typically drills onto the top of the rear tube. Since my lines were already running underneath all the CAI, I decided to drill the underside of the tube. That was fun. I pulled the driver front tire off and was able to snake a small straight line drill with the bit on it up to a spot I marked from the top. Drilled out just fine and got the tap in and out and threaded in the 90 deg NPT to nipple adapter in the hole with a bit of RTV on it. I think it was a bit looser than I would have liked, but its in there and now unseen from the top of the engine. Really hard to get a pic of it installed.

Now the can is fully installed. Moving onto the CSS that was in the kit. Replaced the oil cap with it and had a section of hose left and attached it to the CSS and the other end goes to a K&N Breather Filter that attaches to the end of the hose. I did not want to drill into the CAI for an adpater, so this was the next best thing.

I know the engine bay is REALLY dirty, have not had time to clean it this spring. Barely had enough time to get this installed before I had to go manage the grill for dinner. Install took me around 3 hours, but I was going slow and working by myself. The kit is really nice and includes everything you need. I purchased the breather filter separately. I thought I might need some spring clamps on the fittings but the hose goes on the fittings tight and will not come off. I placed a drop of 3in1 oil on it to slide it on. Worked great. I do recommend one of those pipe cutters that has a blade and acts like a single sided scissor. I left mine at work and I used HD scissors. They worked, but the edge as not as clean as it could have been. When I do my first drain, I will decide if I need to add an extension tube after the drain valve or not.
I took it for a drive to work late last night after getting all installed and I heard a whine coming from the motor and wasn't sure what it was. Sounded kinda cool, like turbo spool up sound. Pulled over to see if all was OK. Check to see if the drain valve was closed, it was, and checked other items. I had forgot to tighten a hose clamp on the intake. Ooops. I thought it was coming from the CSS filter... Time will tell how much junk I get out. The Flex has 91300 on her, but only around 10k on the new motor and turbos. The communication from teamrxp.com was great. There are not many install videos or instructions of this can on the 3.5 transverse, mostly the F150 when I was searching. I gathered info from here and another forum as well as their videos and did the install based on those.
Hope this might help someone who decides to get one of these catch cans!
2011 Flex Titanium EB
Retired- 1992 SHO

SHOdded

Thank you for taking the time to post this writeup.  Sure to help others seeking options!
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Night Hawk

I did a similar set up with the Monster can.
2017 Fusion Sport
GFB DivValve/165* Thermo
K&N Panel/CFM Breather
Ult Perf Int Garrett Core/MKZ oil cooler
FMS 70mm TB/ NGK .026/LMS V6 93