• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Quite aftermarket mufflers

Started by StealBlueSho, May 07, 2017, 11:47:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StealBlueSho

Anyone recommend a set of quiet 2.5inch mufflers? I currently have the borla exhaust and am looking to make it quiet..

mrhighcaliber

MRT makes an axle back set for the sho. They seem to have had "quiet performance" as a priority. I'm thinking of getting them eventually.

https://youtu.be/92OIJ6UaFyg

https://youtu.be/H14oczYQYsU

The other option I'm considering is the Dynomax vt muffler. Has exhaust flow based butterfly valve that opens during mid/full throttle, but stay closed during cruising.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

jonnoriega

Quote from: StealBlueSho on May 07, 2017, 11:47:19 AM
Anyone recommend a set of quiet 2.5inch mufflers? I currently have the borla exhaust and am looking to make it quiet..

Forgive my ignorance and if this sounds rude, it wasn't meant to be.  I'm a newbie to mods and am just trying to understand them better but if you installed a Borla Exhaust but want to make it quieter; well, doesn't that defeat the purpose of having a Borla exhaust?

And if you wanted more boost from your exhaust, why didn't you just install a downpipe?  Won't that give you the extra kick that you're looking for? 

I have a 2016 Explorer Platinum EcoBoost and just installed a downpipe but kept the original exhaust.  I also installed a tune and 3 Bar Map and the car is noticeably different as for the performance part.  At start up, it's a nice low-tone but quiet the rest of the time except when you punch the gas pedal.

Here's how it sounds.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEJKDXwvjgs

Thank you for your time and any feedback.
2016 Explorer Platinum

StealBlueSho

Soooo.... couple things....

Your probably using Tapatalk or something similar and can't see my sig...

I have all the basic stuff... CAI, Exhaust, Downpipes, 3BAR, Plugs, E20 Tuned, slotted and drilled rotors, etc... meth is on the way, and as soon as one of the two companies release the bigger DI pump that too...

Short of turbos and short block I'm maxed out...

As far as the exhaust question... the car came with the Borla exhaust.. while I like the sound... I'm not in love with it.. and would prefer a toned down exhaust note.. I wouldn't mind giving up a couple extra ponies for a quieter ride. But I don't necessarily want to replace the cat back system in its entirety.

Just looking to see if anyone in their past or present experience have found a good axle back that was quite but not extremely restrictive..

jonnoriega

Quote from: StealBlueSho on May 07, 2017, 01:01:38 PM
Soooo.... couple things....

Your probably using Tapatalk or something similar and can't see my sig...

I have all the basic stuff... CAI, Exhaust, Downpipes, 3BAR, Plugs, E20 Tuned, slotted and drilled rotors, etc... meth is on the way, and as soon as one of the two companies release the bigger DI pump that too...

Short of turbos and short block I'm maxed out...

As far as the exhaust question... the car came with the Borla exhaust.. while I like the sound... I'm not in love with it.. and would prefer a toned down exhaust note.. I wouldn't mind giving up a couple extra ponies for a quieter ride. But I don't necessarily want to replace the cat back system in its entirety.

Just looking to see if anyone in their past or present experience have found a good axle back that was quite but not extremely restrictive..

that explains it... thanks!
2016 Explorer Platinum

f8tlSHO

I think the mrt sounded good in the video, seemed pretty quiet in car also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2013 Non PP Unleashed 93 E20 3 Bar Tune, K&N drop in 12.491 @ 110.96 120's IAT
Now tuned by ajp...looking to go faster
E30 tune on14psi full weight including 2 child seats,race like a real street car.
12.433 @110.8 140's IAT; Mustang Dyno 332hp / 386tq

f8tlSHO

Just checked the website... wow..kinda expensive for 2 mufflers and a short pipe on each muffler

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2013 Non PP Unleashed 93 E20 3 Bar Tune, K&N drop in 12.491 @ 110.96 120's IAT
Now tuned by ajp...looking to go faster
E30 tune on14psi full weight including 2 child seats,race like a real street car.
12.433 @110.8 140's IAT; Mustang Dyno 332hp / 386tq

SHOdded

I guess glasspacks and cutouts are out ...  do you want them quiet even at wot?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

StealBlueSho

Quote from: SHOdded on May 07, 2017, 03:41:35 PM

I wouldn't mind a bit of noise at WOT. Maybe I am getting old, but I like having a quieter cabin...

mrhighcaliber

😭😭😭

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

AJP turbo

Quote from: StealBlueSho on May 07, 2017, 03:48:04 PM

I wouldn't mind a bit of noise at WOT. Maybe I am getting old, but I like having a quieter cabin...

I thought the cstless downpipes and stock exhaust were perfect
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

SHOdded

Do you still have the resonator in place?  Stock exhaust + Xpipe may be just that tiny bit louder you want.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

polskifacet

My exhaust is very quiet but it has a howl which i suspect is from trying to quiet it down so much. Keep that in mind.
AEM Dryflo drop in. PP Transmission Cooler and thermostat. 160 tstat, 3 bar map, plugs, AJP 93 Tune, PP Shocks and Springs

Night Hawk

Dynomax make a flow through design that isn't crazy loud.
2017 Fusion Sport
GFB DivValve/165* Thermo
K&N Panel/CFM Breather
Ult Perf Int Garrett Core/MKZ oil cooler
FMS 70mm TB/ NGK .026/LMS V6 93

Vortech347

I can't believe I'm going to say this.  The MRT exhaust actually sounds good.  But holy s*** it's over priced!!
Matt H.
2013 SHO Performance Pack, Daily, AJPTurbo tuned
2003 SVT Cobra 497rwhp/491rwtq, Self tuned, Cruiser
1990 Mustang GT 570rwhp/530twtq, Self tuned, Open Track
2017 F150 XLT 5.0