• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

High Altitude...have tune...will 3 BAR help?

Started by jbrown9999, May 03, 2017, 03:45:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbrown9999

So, I live in UT.  Trying to find "simple" mods that will allow me to appreciate the ability of our engines.  The tune made a HUGE difference!  So now my next things are a catch can (learned from the rest), sparks and I thought maybe a 3 BAR but I wonder if that will help at altitude.  My house is at 4800, the lowest I go in town is 4000.  OH!  And I can only get 91 reliably.

Would this help anything or is it a wasted effort?
2016 Ford SHO w/ PP w/ SCT X4 w/ Gearhead tune,
MDesign CAI, non-noise maker pipe
Gapped/colder plugs, Thermostat w/ Water Wetter
MSD COPS, aFe Silver Bullet intake spacer
UPR catch can, BOV to atmosphere mod

SHOdded

No doubt it will all improve performance & reliability.  Not wasted.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

AJP turbo

If tuned properly I wouldn't worry about the 3 bar sensor...At your altitude I bet your turbo are working pretty hard to hit 14 psi but I bet on a 2-3 WOT upshift you are maxxing out the sensor already....Do you have a datalog?

If you look at your MAP line in a log I bet you see it go flat about 206 kpa at that point the stft's will take over to add the extra fuel to maintain lambda commanded...stft's will add because it doesn't know why it needs more fuel because the MAP sensor can't see it
So the 3 bar won't do anything for performance in your case because you may already be at a boost  you can't read. But at your elevation I'm not sure you can run much more anyway...But post a log if you have one..Be curious to see another high elevation log and some other members may like to see as well.
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

Vortech347

Local guy! Woo Hoo... ever ran at RMR?

AJP has tuned my car so he's seen the results of our shitty fuel and air.  We've got mine breathing safely at 13.5psi.

About the only reason to have the 3 bar is to monitor the spikes. 
Matt H.
2013 SHO Performance Pack, Daily, AJPTurbo tuned
2003 SVT Cobra 497rwhp/491rwtq, Self tuned, Cruiser
1990 Mustang GT 570rwhp/530twtq, Self tuned, Open Track
2017 F150 XLT 5.0