• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Tuning @ 5400ft. 91 Octane

Started by aurmend, May 01, 2017, 08:03:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aurmend

So just a general question.
My vehicle. 2011 Taurus Sho: Custom Dual CAI w/ Noisemaker eliminater  - AEM Meth kit 625ml/m (installed but not turned on) - 170 thermostat - Motorcraft SP-534 .028 gap.
Coming Soon: PPE downpipes and 3rd cat delete.

So I'm currently at 5400ft of elevation and maximum of 91 Octane. Will there be any adverse effects or power loss if i get my vehicle tuned at this elevation and octane? Should i wait until I'm at sea level and get that sweet 93 octane. I would be traveling between the 2 places every 6 months or so.

Should i get it tuned at 5400ft w/ 91 octane or sea level w/ 93 octane
2011 Taurus Sho: Custom 3" Dual CAI w/ Noisemaker eliminater pipe  - AEM Meth kit 625ml/m - 170 thermostat - Motorcraft SP-534 .028 gap.
Coming Soon: PPE downpipes, 3rd cat delete, 3bar MAP and Tune

Gjkrisa

First option the car will better compensate when you go-to sea level but I would also go for having two performance tunes then

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

2016 Taurus SHO pp Shadow Black
diy emblems,jms boost max, FORscan modder

dubcitySHO

What tuner are you planning to go with?  SCT or MyCal?  Personally, I would buy 2 tune files and get one for each octane rating and elevation.
2018 Magnetic Metallic F-150 XLT FX4 SCrew, 20% 3M Tint, Currently researching reputable F-150 tuners....

aurmend

Unleashed SCT X4 or livewire,  planning on a Performance W/ methanol and Performance w/o methanol. Maybe an economy tune.

Does the SCT x4 have Switch On-The-Fly* like the livewire does?
once that low meth fluid light comes on i would like to switch tunes instantly
2011 Taurus Sho: Custom 3" Dual CAI w/ Noisemaker eliminater pipe  - AEM Meth kit 625ml/m - 170 thermostat - Motorcraft SP-534 .028 gap.
Coming Soon: PPE downpipes, 3rd cat delete, 3bar MAP and Tune

Gjkrisa

Oh livewire does instant!
X4 for Taurus does not.

Correct me if I'm wrong someone but I thought there was a controller that comes with the meth that controls that and or can the tune auto adjust just fine when it stops seeing the meth injection.

2016 Taurus SHO pp Shadow Black
diy emblems,jms boost max, FORscan modder

Vortech347

Talk to AJPTurbo.

He's been doing the remote tuning on my car and I've sent him logs from a ton of different elevations ranging from 4500 to 8200 actual.  One thing we noticed quickly is how fast the waste gates are sent to a higher % and on top of that the shitty 91 octane really blows for the spark table.

Bottom line, with these little turbo's and our shitty mountain air/fuel don't expect to run the same times as the others at much lower elevations. Your meth will help quite a bit though.  On my racecar when I ran meth it went from 500rwhp to 570rwhp.

Also Brad has my tune totally safe at all elevations.  I've ran the car in Cali along PCH with no problems at all.

Matt H.
2013 SHO Performance Pack, Daily, AJPTurbo tuned
2003 SVT Cobra 497rwhp/491rwtq, Self tuned, Cruiser
1990 Mustang GT 570rwhp/530twtq, Self tuned, Open Track
2017 F150 XLT 5.0

lamrith

Quote from: Gjkrisa on May 01, 2017, 11:57:22 PM
Oh livewire does instant!
X4 for Taurus does not.

Correct me if I'm wrong someone but I thought there was a controller that comes with the meth that controls that and or can the tune auto adjust just fine when it stops seeing the meth injection.

Livewire does not do flash on the go for SHO.
'13 Sho PP, SCT x4, AJP 92-Octane rev6 (14psi&20spark) NGK 6510, 3Bar, K&N CAI, PPE Catted DP, Dynomax Axleback, 20*9.5 Voxx Lago w/ 275/40-20 GMAX AS-05.

Colorado-SHOBro

Quote from: Vortech347 on May 02, 2017, 07:46:39 PM
Talk to AJPTurbo.

He's been doing the remote tuning on my car and I've sent him logs from a ton of different elevations ranging from 4500 to 8200 actual.  One thing we noticed quickly is how fast the waste gates are sent to a higher % and on top of that the shitty 91 octane really blows for the spark table.

Bottom line, with these little turbo's and our shitty mountain air/fuel don't expect to run the same times as the others at much lower elevations. Your meth will help quite a bit though.  On my racecar when I ran meth it went from 500rwhp to 570rwhp.

Also Brad has my tune totally safe at all elevations.  I've ran the car in Cali along PCH with no problems at all.
yes talk to ajp. i'm in denver and run his tune. he was able to calibrate it so the higher i travel in altitude it commands less boost to prevent the turbos from maxing out. and that is all within 1 tune so i don't have to stop and re-write the ecu . . it does it automatically. I'm not sure how it would work with traveling to lower elevations when you could potentially run more boost. I would guess that may necessitate a different tune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
11' SHO Tuxedo Metallic black-non PP | Highly sophisticated high altitude custom AJP Turbo E30 3Bar tune w/Wastegate mod | Cat'd ceramic PPE downpipes |170 stat| SP542 plugs .028 | PP trans cooler | H&R springs | RX catch can

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

Vortech347

Quote from: Colorado-SHOBro on May 02, 2017, 08:59:44 PM
Quote from: Vortech347 on May 02, 2017, 07:46:39 PM
Talk to AJPTurbo.

yes talk to ajp. i'm in denver and run his tune. he was able to calibrate it so the higher i travel in altitude it commands less boost to prevent the turbos from maxing out. and that is all within 1 tune so i don't have to stop and re-write the ecu . . it does it automatically. I'm not sure how it would work with traveling to lower elevations when you could potentially run more boost. I would guess that may necessitate a different tune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With mine he set a limit.  I wanted my car to be tuned but not ran super hard.  When I was at sea level the car made the same 13.5psi as it does up here.  I never gave a damn enough to want to run two tunes for when I go out of town since I'm not going out of town to race.
Matt H.
2013 SHO Performance Pack, Daily, AJPTurbo tuned
2003 SVT Cobra 497rwhp/491rwtq, Self tuned, Cruiser
1990 Mustang GT 570rwhp/530twtq, Self tuned, Open Track
2017 F150 XLT 5.0