• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Water Wetter or Hyper-Lube. . anybody using it in the ecoboost?

Started by Colorado-SHOBro, April 22, 2017, 12:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colorado-SHOBro

https://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=74&pcid=10

http://www.hyperlube.com/c3/super-coolant-c8.html
Just out of curiosity's sake. .
I've used them in previous platforms and thinking about giving it a try with my 2011 SHO. However, i know the ecoboosts coolant specifications are a bit different than your average universal green etc. So wondering if wetting agents shouldn't be used in our cars or what.
anybody have any experience with these products?
11' SHO Tuxedo Metallic black-non PP | Highly sophisticated high altitude custom AJP Turbo E30 3Bar tune w/Wastegate mod | Cat'd ceramic PPE downpipes |170 stat| SP542 plugs .028 | PP trans cooler | H&R springs | RX catch can

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

MiWiAu

I'm using some Amsoil Dominator Coolant Boost surfactant in my Explorer. No scientific info on whether or not it helps.

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/other-products/antifreeze/dominator-coolant-boost/

I used to run Water Wetter in my track bike (2005 Yamaha R6), with just distilled water. No issues with that either. I did this more as a precautionary measure, since antifreeze is super slippery on pavement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2013 XSport

Colorado-SHOBro

Quote from: MiWiAu on April 22, 2017, 12:04:42 PM
I'm using some Amsoil Dominator Coolant Boost surfactant in my Explorer. No scientific info on whether or not it helps.

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/other-products/antifreeze/dominator-coolant-boost/

I used to run Water Wetter in my track bike (2005 Yamaha R6), with just distilled water. No issues with that either. I did this more as a precautionary measure, since antifreeze is super slippery on pavement.

Yeah that's a good option too. Have you noticed slightly lower coolant temps since you applied the mix? I may hold off until i make another order with Amsoil but then again that's gonna be a while. If i can verify all the products are nearly the same i may just give the water wetter a try.
11' SHO Tuxedo Metallic black-non PP | Highly sophisticated high altitude custom AJP Turbo E30 3Bar tune w/Wastegate mod | Cat'd ceramic PPE downpipes |170 stat| SP542 plugs .028 | PP trans cooler | H&R springs | RX catch can

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

SHOdded

Call up Redline see if they have stats on its' performance with Ford's newest coolants.  I am sure it is compatible, and probably the need is the same.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

MiWiAu

Quote from: Colorado-SHOBro on April 22, 2017, 12:31:33 PM
Have you noticed slightly lower coolant temps since you applied the mix?

Honestly, I didn't really track it. Amsoil claimed an 8*F difference with antifreeze on their dyno test (25*F when mixed with straight water).

Considering they did theirs on a dyno where they can precisely control the load, ambient temps, and air velocities, I figured I'd have a harder time picking up a difference.

IMO, the best one might do is timing the warm-up cycle (Amsoil did 30F-120F and 30-180, and showed warmup almost twice as fast with the Dominator). I had originally planned on timing warmup, but I recall doing the treatment in the winter right around the time we had some wild fluctuations in ambient temps, so my results wouldn't not have been comparable.

Frankly, the only reason I added it was to try and help reject additional heat from the PTU, since the cooled face plate seems relatively small. I ~assumed~ it wouldn't hurt the system, and if it did anything to improve the efficiency of the cooling system, $8-12 every 2 years seemed like a small price to pay.

If I wind up with premature radiator leaks, I may change my tune. :P

2013 XSport

MiWiAu

Quote from: Colorado-SHOBro on April 22, 2017, 12:31:33 PM
I may hold off until i make another order with Amsoil but then again that's gonna be a while.

FWIW, I found a local Amsoil dealer (sells out of his house) who will sell me stuff he has in stock for the preferred price. If I just need small quantities of something he doesn't have, he'll add it to his next order (and he orders way more often than I do), and I don't get charged shipping.

I order enough to make the membership worth it (I also get guys at work stuff at the preferred price, so I can hit the minimums for free shipping specials), but I also set the other dealer up as "sponsor" in my profile. I think he gets some additional kickback when I place my own orders.

Not sure exactly how the Amsoil pyramid scheme works, but a local dealer may be worth looking into. The guys who sell on the side (look for a residential address) may be more willing to give you a hook-up.

2013 XSport

FearlessAZ

Quote from: SHOdded on April 22, 2017, 01:12:19 PM
http://www.superstreetonline.com/how-to/engine/0703-turp-cooling-system-additives/

I definitely want to know more about those temp drops. I know that is 72 stock but I wonder how it would handle the 115 that it gets here in the summer.
2010 Non PP Sho. All the factory goodies. (RIP)

2015 MKS Ecoboost. All the factory goodies. (SOLD)

SHOdded

Seems like water + coolant additive is better than coolant + coolant additive in high heat conditions.  so if temps never drop to freezing in your area, that may be your preferred setup.

StealBlueSho

I used water wetter in previous cars with good results. I liked it.

FearlessAZ

Quote from: SHOdded on April 22, 2017, 05:17:35 PM
Seems like water + coolant additive is better than coolant + coolant additive in high heat conditions.  so if temps never drop to freezing in your area, that may be your preferred setup.

I would say we see freezing Temps maybe a few times a year. Only for the low overnight though. Never during the day here.
2010 Non PP Sho. All the factory goodies. (RIP)

2015 MKS Ecoboost. All the factory goodies. (SOLD)

Colorado-SHOBro

Quote from: SHOdded on April 22, 2017, 05:17:35 PM
yeah that's my dilemma. up to 100F in the summer and well below freezing in the winter. i do like the proposed quicker warm up times of the amsoil additive. i would just have to be conservative on how much i use as it's not worth it to drain and refill the system between seasons with as pricey as coolant is for the ecoboost.

12.8@108 @ 6,000ft DA.

MiWiAu

Quote from: Colorado-SHOBro on April 23, 2017, 12:17:37 AM
i do like the proposed quicker warm up times of the amsoil additive.

To be fair, I suspect you would see quicker warmup times from some of the other products mentioned here. The way your reply reads, I thought you might be insinuating that the improved warm up time was something unique to the Amsoil product, while it's actually just a surfactant/wetting agent doing what it does: increasing the efficiency of heat transfer. It works to more effectively heat cold stuff or cool hot stuff (in theory). :)

While many performance enthusiasts are concerned about maximum heat rejection, I'm surprised some of these other companies aren't marketing the improved warm up times for daily drivers in cold climates.

2013 XSport