• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

2013 SHO vibration/shaking throughout vehicle

Started by SHODRVR, April 07, 2017, 02:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHODRVR

2013 Taurus SHO non PP

Issue:
- Vibration throughout the vehicle most noticable at
  highway speed. 
- I can visibly see my passenger side seat shaking
  and or anything placed on the seat
- Shaking can also be felt in the steering wheel and
- Vehicle shakes while in neutral and in motion
- Brake pedal shaking when applied but it does not
  do so constantly. Some times it happens and
  sometimes it does not.

My attempts to fix:
- New tires mounted and balanced = no fix
- Road force balance conducted with no issue (no
  bent rims reported by Ford dealership who
  conducted the balance)= no fix
- Front end shake down conducted no play found

Further information:
- Front axle recall repair conducted but I do not
  remember if the issue persisted before hand. This
  has been on going and I am just getting
  sick of it.
- On Fords recommendation in doing the
  Road Force Balance they claimed to have
  fixed the shaking. Once I picked up the car i found this not to be true .

Anyone have a similar issue with their SHO and have a fix? Any help or information is apperciated. Thank you in advance

2013 Ford Taurus SHO

ZSHO

How many miles on your SHO? Did this so called dealer check the front end for any play such as the inner tie rods,wheel hubs etc?
Have they checked your brakes or perform a multi-point vehicle inspection?

It could that your rotors are warped especially if original and need to perform a run-out test IIRC to rule that out.
Have you tried to rotate your wheels to see if your symptoms alleviate a bit?
I still would not rule out a bent rim out of the equation IMO along with a proper wheel balance.
I noticed you were in NY and can definitely hook you up with a reputable Ford dealer such as mine and finally get to the bottom of things .. Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

glock-coma

Does it start/stop at any particular speed?
Any pulsing, or is it  constant vibration
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

SHOdded

It IS possible the problem lies in the wheels/tires.  As Z said, warped rotors, which can result from overtightened lug nuts.  Powerhappy wrenchers.  Usually it is a tire or wheel issue, from bent or cracked rims.  The daisy wheels in particular have known to do both.

If the vibration is primarily in the floorboard, that would indicate possible bad mounting bearings on the driveshaft, or driveshaft not properly indexed.

Engine or trans mounts would be felt at any speed, including at startup.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

SHODRVR

Quote from: ZSHO on April 07, 2017, 03:00:22 PM
How many miles on your SHO? Did this so called dealer check the front end for any play such as the inner tie rods,wheel hubs etc?

It could that your rotors are warped especially if original and need to perform a run-out test IIRC to rule that out.
I still would not rule out a bent rim out of the equation IMO along with a proper wheel balance.
I noticed you were in NY and can definitely hook you up with a reputable Ford dealer such as mine and finally get to the bottom of things .. Z

Thanks for the reply. The SHO has 62k on it. I have had multiple multi point inspections done on the car. No issues have been found. I actually had other issue i was dealing with which made me leave my closest dealship and travel where I just had a PTU replaced and 2 Turbos. I didnt bring up the shaking with the new dealership again with hopes that maybe the ptu was causing it. But now that I have it back its the same shaking. They did say there is a brake pulse which could be from the rotors. But would the car shake while not applying the brakes?  I agree it could be a bent rim still, but the dealer that did the Road Force balance did mention it. And I would think when doing that balance it would show.
2013 Ford Taurus SHO

djxfactor

Quote from: SHODRVR on April 07, 2017, 04:55:18 PM

Thanks for the reply. The SHO has 62k on it. I have had multiple multi point inspections done on the car. No issues have been found. I actually had other issue i was dealing with which made me leave my closest dealship and travel where I just had a PTU replaced and 2 Turbos. I didnt bring up the shaking with the new dealership again with hopes that maybe the ptu was causing it. But now that I have it back its the same shaking. They did say there is a brake pulse which could be from the rotors. But would the car shake while not applying the brakes?  I agree it could be a bent rim still, but the dealer that did the Road Force balance did mention it. And I would think when doing that balance it would show.
I had a decent shake at low speeds and highway speeds on my Flex on factory rotors with 50K miles on them.  I changed all the rotors out to new CD/S Zinc Coated when I upgraded to the Power Stop Z23 kit and most of my shakes magically disappeared!  I'd have never thought the rotors could cause that much vibration, but the proof was in the pudding on mine!

NOTE:  Edited for "flow" - SHOdded
2014 Ford Flex Limited AWD EcoBoost - Full Amsoil Synthetic Fluids swap in engine and driveline, SCT X4 Tuner w/ multiple tunes for 93 + Meth, Dash-mount Tablet running Torque Pro Gauges w/ BT Wireless OBD Adapter, 170 T-stat, 3-Bar MAP sensor, Denso 1step Colder Spark Plugs, OBX Catless Downpipes, Magnaflow Downpipe-back 2.5" exhaust system, Magnaflow 2.5" X-Pipe, MDesign Carbon Direct Cold Air Intake (Latest Gen), UPR 3-way Catch Can System, Devil's Own Stage-2 3-Bar Methanol Injection System with custom Tank/Pump mount, EcoPowerParts Black powder-coated Charge Pipe kit, TIAL Q Race BOV in Ruby Red color-match, Power Stop Z23 Brake upgrade on all 4 corners with Drilled/Slotted Zinc Rotors and Carbon Fiber-infused Ceramic Pads with color-matched Ruby Red calipers, Moog upgraded Sway Bar Endlinks, lowered on Megan Racing EZ Street coilovers, SPC Rear Camber kit, Verde Axis V99 Bronze 20x9 wheels wrapped in 275/40 Nexens, Custom forged 4 1/2" spiked one-piece steel lugs, Kicker CompRT 12" Sub in custom spare tire-well box, Polk Audio Carbon C500.1 mono sub amp, All-Fit Front Lip Spoiler, 3D Carbon Rear Wing, Ruby Red vinyl wrapped interior trim, LED-lit "FLEX" Door Sills, Full LED Interior bulb swap, Red LED Accent lighting throughout, SpiderMax 3D Kagu black laser fit floor mats for all 3 rows, LED Puddle Light swap, Tinted LED Tails, Windows Tinted all around.

ZSHO

That's one of  the very reason's I traded in my previous new 13-NON PP SHO back then because of the warped rotors which shook at highway speeds especially when slowing down abruptly and was felt throughout the cabin especially the steering wheel. Z
Do you have any pics to share with us?
Do you happen to know if the brakes are original? Sorry for all the questions just trying to help a fellow member out. Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SHODRVR

Quote from: glock-coma on April 07, 2017, 03:17:45 PM
Does it start/stop at any particular speed?
Any pulsing, or is it  constant vibration

I noticed recently the when its cold out its much more aggressive at a lower speed.It continues to do so all the way up 60-70-80-90
It is a constant vibration. I daily drive it so at highway speed it happens all the time. I feel it in the steering wheel, floorboard, brake and gas pedal.
2013 Ford Taurus SHO

SHODRVR

That's one of  the very reason's I traded in my previous new 13-NON PP SHO back then because of the warped rotors which shook at highway speeds especially when slowing down abruptly and was felt throughout the cabin especially the steering wheel. Z
Do you have any pics to share with us?
Do you happen to know if the brakes are original? Sorry for all the questions just trying to help a fellow member out. Z
[/quote]Yeah I'm gonna try new brake pads and rotors next. The car shakes like a b*tch coming down from highway speed wobbling all over the place. But the brake shake/wobble only happens from high speed stops to slow downs. Brake are original as far as I know I bought the car with 15k a little over a year ago and I daily drive it so I have been racking up the mileage. Unfortunately I don't have any photos of the car at this time which is surprising to me actually since I would take photos all the time of my previous cars, but I hope to have some up soon. What area of New York are you in?

2013 Ford Taurus SHO

SHODRVR

Quote from: djxfactor on April 07, 2017, 05:05:19 PM

I had a decent shake at low speeds and highway speeds on my Flex on factory rotors with 50K miles on them.  I changed all the rotors out to new CD/S Zinc Coated when I upgraded to the Power Stop Z23 kit and most of my shakes magically disappeared!  I'd have never thought the rotors could cause that much vibration, but the proof was in the pudding on mine!

NOTE:  Edited for "flow" - SHOdded

Really? hmm Im probably going that route next. I was just looking up a good brake upgrade for the SHO and I see most are suggesting the Z23 kit or the EBC pads and blanks. How do you like the Z23 kit overall?
2013 Ford Taurus SHO

RandR10

The fact that it's worse when it's cold makes me think tires.  I've had a lot of tire issues over the years because I used to roll almost exclusively on used tires off of cars that were headed for the junk yard.  When I still lived with my parents, I had access to all of my father's heavy equipment and we would scrap old cars regularly.  Any tires that had decent tread on them would end up on one of our vehicles at some point (back then almost everything had pretty standard 14-15" sizes that were interchangeable between many different brands).  This tire swapping often caused the belts to shift because of varying rotation/alignment on different cars along with them being old and starting to dry rot.  The vibration from a shifted belt is worse when you first start driving, and the worst when it is very cold outside.  When you get the tires warmed up the pliability of the rubber increases so imperfections get smoothed out and it feels better when you're rolling.  It's very similar to using bias ply trailer tires which get flat spots in them when you leave them sit.  Drive until they're warmed up and the vibration goes away when the flat spots disappear.  The way I would check for this is to jack up each tire and (with gloved hands at first in case any steel belts are exposed) check for imperfections around the whole tire.  You'll feel a pronounced bump if the tire is out of round from shifted belts.

If you find this condition, get new tires IMMEDIATELY.  The imperfection will cause the tread to wear through in very few miles, then the belts, then your tire pops.  I have had this happen on new tires too, which is actually the only time I've had a tire blow out amazingly, so new(er) tires don't exclude this as a problem.

Something else of note in your posts is that you said the PTU was recently serviced, which means that your driveshaft was disconnected.  If this wasn't indexed properly during reassembly, it could be causing your vibration, because even while in neutral rolling down the road, the front axle half shafts, PTU and driveshaft are all still spinning.  Other than wheels/hubs/brakes/tires, the PTU, half shafts and driveshaft are the only other things that could cause the vibration since it happens independent of the engine and transaxle being engaged.
2011 Ford Flex Limited Ecoboost

Ramairetransam

Oh lovely another person with this issue. This happened on my 13 mks eb and long story short mine is within spec. You feel it in the wheel , you can see the passenger seat shake and you feel it in your right knee that rests on the center area.

I got new tires , 2 or 3 road for balances. new driveshaft , new ptu , wheels swapped off new vehicles, new driveshaft swapped out . i did had bad front struts that didn't fix it . Mine you can feel at like 35 or 40 and up to like 80 ish . Its not violent but its annoying bc i have a easy cruise control drive to and from work at 55 and 75 mph cruise locks speeds.

I went to 4 dealers , 2 or3 wouldn't take me . I was on a first name basis with the lady at lincoln. Mine was all under warranty . But the last and best dealer i went to the head service guy rode with me and felt it and came to the conclusion it was within spec. The thing that sucks is when i bought the car it sat for while so it had flat spotted tires , then the selling dealer paid for new ones after they paid for brakes to be cut and for two road force balances. So the issue was always there .

The last and best dealer pissed me off bc they didn't want to just start replacing parts. I felt they should since it was at so many places and no one could figure it out . So i'm learning to live with it and at 52k with 3 yrs and up to 140k on my extended warranty .

I did get 400 bucks from lincoln for being dicked around and put that towards new brakes front and back . Btw the sho pp pads are great . 334 shipped from rockauto for it all .

If you happen to get this fixed let me know so i can look into the same thing .

Also mine does it while in any gear or in neutral , under load or coasting .

Im in the Albany ny area , where are you .
13 Mks Ecoboost

SHOdded

Ya, you have been thru a lot trying to get this issue resolved!  Have they ever had an engineer come down to look at it?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

lamrith

My initial thought would be to hook up with some other local SHO owners in your area.

Maybe meet up on a weekend if one of you have a garage.  Take a ride in their car, them a ride in yours to see where things are at and compare.  Then see about swapping wheels between the cars and repeat the drives. 

At very least that should definitively answer if it is a tire/wheel issue or not.  Maybe they see/hear/feel something that can be checked out as well, sometimes a second set of eyes/ears/experience can do wonders.
'13 Sho PP, SCT x4, AJP 92-Octane rev6 (14psi&20spark) NGK 6510, 3Bar, K&N CAI, PPE Catted DP, Dynomax Axleback, 20*9.5 Voxx Lago w/ 275/40-20 GMAX AS-05.

Ramairetransam

Quote from: SHOdded on April 12, 2017, 02:22:25 PM
Ya, you have been thru a lot trying to get this issue resolved!  Have they ever had an engineer come down to look at it?

no that was like a lie by the lady at lincoln .
13 Mks Ecoboost